Fading after rinse?

Dcerasoli123Dcerasoli123 Posts: 46Member
ive had this happen a few times lately just wasnt sure what the cause is. Pattern lays down great, seems to be a good activation, great hit as far as coverage with no stretch no blowout,bubbles or over activation holes and the colors are rich and vibrant. i let it rest for a minute or so and pop it in the rinse tank and the product fades. Any Ideas

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It will become more vibrant again after you clear it. Try running water over it and see if being wet makes it more vibrant. Should be fine. Once the shiny PVA is rinsed off, you lose that "pop" in the colors.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,021Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dcerasoli123 Mid-Ohio is right about the clear top coat making the color come back, but I am also seeing the effects of not enough dwell time after the activator is applied. Films with heavy black ink like that one, need time for the ink to fully melt. If you decide to do it again, give it about 20 seconds dwell time. And let it rest after it's dipped 10-15 minutes before the rinse.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

And let it rest after it's dipped 10-15 minutes before the rinse.

10-15 minutes??? Wow.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    smedlin said:

And let it rest after it's dipped 10-15 minutes before the rinse.

10-15 minutes??? Wow.
    Let the activator evaporate off so the paint is less volatile.
  • mountain_mikemountain_mike Posts: 801Member ✭✭✭
    He meant 10-15 seconds. Basically what is going on is a very mild form of under activation. There is likely enough activator it just needs a tad more time to fully do its job thus not activated enough
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited June 2017
    @mountain_mike I think he meant minutes in that case. He's meaning to let the part rest after being dipped and before the rinse, and mentioned 20 seconds for the dwell time.
  • mountain_mikemountain_mike Posts: 801Member ✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics you are correct. Thats what i get for speed reading. The dwell time alone should correct that issue though
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭✭
    And then you get some guy on FB that says if you let it sit for that length of time before rinsing, it will cause you all sorts of issues down the road..........lol
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Stay off FaceHate...
  • Dcerasoli123Dcerasoli123 Posts: 46Member
    ya i pretty much head straight for the water once i complete my activator pass, and as far as post dip resting time that was about 10 minutes. I figured the clear would bring some life back to it but just didnt want to clear the damn thing if i needed to re-dip lol NOOO thanks! i appreciate it as always! sorry for the late reponse back. Is it usually a rule of thumb to let darker colors dwell longer than lighter colors or should the dwell time just be longer across all applications period.
  • Dcerasoli123Dcerasoli123 Posts: 46Member
    edited June 2017
    @NotSoFast How much time do you usually let your products rest before rinsing? Or is it simply the visual evaporation that your looking for regardless of time taken to do so?
    Usually 5-10 minutes. Let the activator evaporate off some so the paint is more stable.

@NotSoFast How much time do you usually let your products rest before rinsing? Or is it simply the visual evaporation that your looking for regardless of time taken to do so?

Usually 5-10 minutes. Let the activator evaporate off some so the paint is more stable. It can't hurt as long as you don't let the part dry completely. Even then, the only down side is that it will take a bit longer to rinse. If you think that may become an issue, you could just lightly wet the part with water to keep the PVA moist.
    We rinse right after dipping most of the time. Usually no issue. The only time we have had a problem is dipping direct to ABS and blasting them with a high pressure hose directly after (which is what we normally do when the parts are based with Aqualac).
    My thing is that I am not running production. I have other things I can do in that 5-10 minutes before rinsing. If you are not in a production run and 10 minutes is going to hurt you, then you are doing things WAY wrong. Cut your film for the next part and dip it. By that time, the first one is ready to rinse.