ANI R150 mini gun

blueh2oblueh2o Posts: 4Member
Im about to order a new spray gun and having a hard time deciding.I read or watched a video somewhere that said the ANI R150 1.2 could be used for activator also as long as im using OHW 2.0 as base coat.Ive narrowed my choices down to the ANI or Air gunsa.But would probably like the feel of the ANI better.Has anybody used the ANI for activator or should I go ahead and get the Air Gunsa.

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,342Administrator El Jefe
    I sell the 150 Mini gun and no it doesn't throw down enough material for a proper activation fan pattern...in my opinion...you will only get about a 6" fan pattern with that gun...a Gunsa will throw down a minimum 12" pattern.
  • blueh2oblueh2o Posts: 4Member
    Thanks for the response.Looks like the Gunsa it is..
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,732Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the best gun you can afford for activator 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,258Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Maybe I am reading wrong, but it sounds like you want to use the same gun for activator and paint. If so, it's not the best idea. Of course it could be interpreted that you want two of the same gun, one for paint and one for activator, in which case, that's fine.
    No I have a gun for paint.I had seen a review or video that I could have sworn said that it was a good gun for activator with the OHW paint since OHW paints need a little less activator.
    blueh2o said:

No I have a gun for paint.I had seen a review or video that I could have sworn said that it was a good gun for activator with the OHW paint since OHW paints need a little less activator.

The new 2.0 version of OHW uses a "normal" amount of activator. It's not as sensitive as the original version.

You can use a smaller tip (1.3) on the Air Gunsa to apply less activator and still get the wider spray pattern. You don't want to have to make 12 passes to activate a meter of film with a mini gun.
    yeah that would suck making that many passes.I was hoping the ANI had a wider fan than that.But im gonna go ahead and order the Gunsa.Thanks for the reply.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,046Member ✭✭✭
    blueh2o said:

yeah that would suck making that many passes.I was hoping the ANI had a wider fan than that.But im gonna go ahead and order the Gunsa.Thanks for the reply.

ANI makes a full size gun called the F150 that should work. I use an Air Gunza 1,8 and it works fine once you get it dialed in.

• JustdipitJustdipit Posts: 31Member
    Is it more of a preference thing when it comes to an activator gun? Or is there one that stands above the rest and is highly recommended?

This aught to be an interesting subject to talk about!!!! Let them roll!!!!! =)
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited March 2017
    @Justdipit the Devilbiss GPI is the best I've seen for activator. Any quality gun will work. Minimum recommended quality is that if an Air Gunsa. You're wasting your time with a Harbor Freight or Husky gun.
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
    Yeah I definitely don't want to waste my time with those. I've heard to many horror stories with those. I want really great equipment up front so I can become very consistent with my work and be able to trust my equipment and have confidence in it. I really do like the Devilbiss GPI that Jim has in his store and love the fan size. I may end up with one of those and stop wasting time on second guessing stuff.....
    Get the GPi. It really is that good. I would not go back to spraying activator with anything else.
    Yeah you cant beat the gpi do it once and do it right lol
    Thanks guys I'll do that. I'll be getting up with Jim or somebody to get one very shortly!!!! Jim is the only person who has these correct? I've seen other GPI's out there but i don't know if they are the same gun like what Jim sales. Advice please???
    As far as I know? I am the only guy in the states authorized by DeVilbiss to sell these...but as with anything? Where there is a will? There is a way...
    Copy that bro!!!! Okay I was just wanting to check and see. But one thing is for sure, I want to have confidence in my equipment and trust it will not let me down and make things harder than they already are. Especially when dealing with activator... I trust your judgment Jim for sure. Thanks for the info.
    Justdipit said:

Copy that bro!!!! Okay I was just wanting to check and see. But one thing is for sure, I want to have confidence in my equipment and trust it will not let me down and make things harder than they already are. Especially when dealing with activator... I trust your judgment Jim for sure. Thanks for the info.

Then definitely get the GPi. It is day and night better than even the next best gun. Most guns aren't good at atomizing such thin liquids like activator and certainly not down around 8-10 psi. The GPi lays down a fog of activator, not even a spray.
    Awesome!!! Sounds just what I want then. Thanks....
  • Gotcha_coveredGotcha_covered Posts: 471Member ✭✭✭
    I used my 1.8 air gunsa at training last year and was doing ok then k2 said now try this one its the GPI and wow it was so awesome no more underactivation it was something else great gun
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @K2Concepts , these ANI R150 Mini guns, what size 3M PPS adapters do they need to be able to use the PPS stuff?
    @smedlin the mini is a #12 and full size is a#15
    looch said:

@smedlin the mini is a #12 and full size is a#15

thanks. I have the adapters on my two (broken) LPH400, wanna add them to my 2 mini's also.

That's these right?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-16022-PPS-Adapter-12/dp/B000RHWLCQ

Wish I knew where to get this stuff locally. I'm in Houston, somebody has to carry all this stuff here...
    Holly crap look online for pps adapter i think i paid 10 with shipping. 
    @smedlin there are so many different spray guns most places would have to order try to find one good online supplier for most of the stuff
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 214Member ✭✭✭
    @smedlin I believe there is a Finishmaster in Houston. I would stop by there, its a national paint supplier for Auto Body shops. I get a lot of my materials from them. They carry their own brand of some products also too save some money. If they dont have it they can usually get it in a day or two and you dont have to worry about shipping. They also have a lot of good clears and paint lines, eventually you will need a custom color or matched color and you will be able to get it right away. Not saying that ordering online is a bad thing, but sometimes getting something in minutes is easier than days.
    Thanks versus. There are 3 in Houston, one about 20 minutes from my work. I'll have to check them out
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,046Member ✭✭✭
    Autobodytoolmart.com is where I get alot of my painting stuff. Good prices, fast shipping, and they carry a lot of gear.
    FinishMaster is where we buy all our stuff also...