Soft Touch sprays like a dream

TheHanzoTheHanzo Posts: 75Member ✭✭
Just sprayed soft touch for the first time onto my wife's taurus 9mm. Man did it coat well and even can't wait till saturday to dress it up the grip and texture is unreal!

Comments

• liquidconceptsliquidconcepts Posts: 102Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I hope you put a normal clear coat under that soft touch cause from our experience, that stuff dont last that long especially on weapons!
  • TheHanzoTheHanzo Posts: 75Member ✭✭
    I used a low shine clear for the first coat then topped it with soft touch came out great
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,240Administrator El Jefe
    Nice...
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,829Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    That does look nice!
    So for that stretch in the back?? should i start to roll backwords once the barrel is under?? On the lines of the thread I just did a scratch test after 48 hour cure on the BB soft touch and that stuff is pretty tough!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,338Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Roll it w/ the axis on the back of the handle. Seam up the front under the trigger guard.

Roll it w/ the axis on the back of the handle. Seam up the front under the trigger guard.

That's a technique i'd like to see do you have a vid? I went straight in on the 3 points frontside of the gun and tried to roll back but missed it by a sec or 2
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,338Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    TheHanzo said:

That's a technique i'd like to see do you have a vid? I went straight in on the 3 points frontside of the gun and tried to roll back but missed it by a sec or 2

I don't have a video. Just like your everyday roll on a rifle stock or anything, just roll it over the back of the handle. Something like Muddy Girl, or any camo, or Marble Splash, etc. and you can touch up any mistakes easily anyway. Not sure I'd try it w/ CF. Probably double dip that.
    Rolling is an art form in itself as you have to watch every angle, speed, direction and even how the film is wrapping while you are dipping. Its not hard but its a perfected technique that takes time and quite a bit of practice!
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    I agree, I'd roll it but with that one I'd have touched that area up with an airbrush and you'd never have known it had any stretch.
    edited January 2017
    I agree, I'd roll it but with that one I'd have touched that area up with an airbrush and you'd never have known it had any stretch.
    Waiting on the airbrush I ordered..Can't get here fast enough
    @MidOhioHydrographics @liquidconcepts Thanks for the knowledge drop . This forum is a major help. My training didn't cover too much about rolling Gona practice a few toy guns this week..

smedlin said:
    That does look nice!
    Thanks I really dig this processing thing
    @TheHanzo anytime!
  • Dinnetta_gobigbrainDinnetta_gobigbrain Posts: 196Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

I hope you put a normal clear coat under that soft touch cause from our experience, that stuff dont last that long especially on weapons!

We have used this clear for about 5 years now. Sean sprays it direct to the substrate all the time. His interior is done in soft touch with no issues. (Going on 3 years). We have done rims, golf carts, etc with our soft touch with no issues. We have a call contract that we have had for 6 years... 1 of those being soft touch. Sean's firearms are done in soft touch - used every hunting season. No issues! It depends on the product and the sprayer.

The reason that you typically need to put a coat of clear first is because since it is a 1 coat clear, many spray it too thick and it can't dry properly. There is a line of "too much" and "just enough". So, we recommend putting a coat of flat first - it's a mental thing!

I appreciate your comment, but it's not true for every product. It is probably for some, and it does depend on how it's sprayed. We have had people complain that it peels, but it will do it right away or within a day or two. Every time we drill down into the situation and it turns out to be one of a few things:

Too thick
    Improper airflow (it can't be sprayed and not have airflow over it immediately. Needs air flow for about 30 minutes in normal temp and booth conditions).

Hope this helps clear up some misconceptions!!
    TheHanzo said:

Have you tried to do it half and half? I know that a lot of guys roll, and it's an AWESOME technique. I've seen some rolls that I'm like "WOW! That's incredible!" But, you can always do it half and half. Mask off one side, dip, dry off, mask off other side, dip and clear!

Mossy Oak dips their guns half and half. And if it's good enough for Mossy Oak it's good enough for us! haha!

Just a suggestion! But, it's incredibly cool to roll! For sure!
    @Dinnetta_gobigbrain Let me start by saying at the time I made my comment he had not mentioned what Soft Touch Clear he had used. I have not personally used your soft touch but we have used several others from paint manufacturers. From our experience we have not been pleased with the results in the long run from the different ones we have tried! I am just stating from my experience. We used tons of different paints and clears not just designed for the hydrographics industry and I was simply giving an opinion based on experience. Which it seems like you stated to do the same as I suggested by laying down a coat of clear before apply the soft touch. I am curious though with only 1 coat of clear how well is the UV protection over time? 1 coat just doesn't seem like much protection at all.

TheHanzo said:

Have you tried to do it half and half? I know that a lot of guys roll, and it's an AWESOME technique. I've seen some rolls that I'm like "WOW! That's incredible!" But, you can always do it half and half. Mask off one side, dip, dry off, mask off other side, dip and clear!

Mossy Oak dips their guns half and half. And if it's good enough for Mossy Oak it's good enough for us! haha!

Just a suggestion! But, it's incredibly cool to roll! For sure!
    I think for quality purposes iam going back to half dips with a thin seam it comes out pretty flawless when I take that approach and quality is better than speed I'm guessing..As for the soft touch man is that stuff smooth and tuff as nails. Definitely plan on using it for alot of projects. I've been using the speed shape I coated as a scratch test demo for customers and it shows off for sure

@Dinnetta_gobigbrain Let me start by saying at the time I made my comment he had not mentioned what Soft Touch Clear he had used. I have not personally used your soft touch but we have used several others from paint manufacturers. From our experience we have not been pleased with the results in the long run from the different ones we have tried! I am just stating from my experience. We used tons of different paints and clears not just designed for the hydrographics industry and I was simply giving an opinion based on experience. Which it seems like you stated to do the same as I suggested by laying down a coat of clear before apply the soft touch. I am curious though with only 1 coat of clear how well is the UV protection over time? 1 coat just doesn't seem like much protection at all.

Oh yes. Of course. I understand. That is why I wanted to clear it up right away... But... based on that he posted it in the Big Brain Graphics forum... That is how I deduced that he sprayed ours. :D I HAVE been told that I have pretty intense detective skills! ;)

Although it doesn't "seem" like much protection, we had this tested not only physically (we have a rim that is in our back yard going on 3 years - not faded), but also in a lab where they stopped at 8 years simulated UV. The protection on it is absolutely insane. And, it's tough as nails (very difficult to sand off even). If applied properly - it's an unbelievable product! One coat is all you need.

And it sprays out smooth - in one coat. As long as you apply correctly - you're going to get a long lasting product. We stand behind everything that we sell because it's THAT good!

Like you said - and your question shows also - "is 1 coat enough"? That is why we recommend putting a flat down first. Because it's a mental thing! Many think "I have to put this on thick because it's ONLY one coat!"

It's a definite different product!!!
    TheHanzo said:

I think for quality purposes iam going back to half dips with a thin seam it comes out pretty flawless when I take that approach and quality is better than speed I'm guessing..As for the soft touch man is that stuff smooth and tuff as nails. Definitely plan on using it for alot of projects. I've been using the speed shape I coated as a scratch test demo for customers and it shows off for sure

You can get fast at half and half. Just blow it off with air in between dips. :) Of course it's not as fast as rolling - but it's way better than doing it over and over!
  • wynnesccwynnescc Posts: 8Member
    sprays like a dream huh???
    this clear is very tricky... i have been spraying paint for 15 years and have never come across a product like this.. to me its not consistent.. i have sprayed it and it literally was the downfall of my whole deal. for the life of me i couldn't get consistency with it.. it would either tack off and be semi shiny and feel like rubber.. or it would flash off flat which is the way it is supposed to be. it is supposed to be dead flat with no sheen whatsoever.. i just couldn't get it to work for me... i see good in this product. i still have some left from the last gallon i bought from big brain and use it on guns from time to time.. i know sometimes i spray it it doesn't act right but my customer doesn't know a difference.. regardless if it flashes and has a little sheen it is always going to have a soft touch feel.. but there is a difference.. either dead flat and soft or slight sheen feel like rubber.. either way its gonna dry soft..
    TheHanzo said:

I used a low shine clear for the first coat then topped it with soft touch came out great

too shiny
    edited March 2017
    Yes @Dinnetta_gobigbrain can clarify, but it's a very specific set of instructions that need followed for the product. One medium-wet coat (too heavy = glossy) and leave it in the booth with adequate airflow to gas out for a certain amount of time or that will cause issues also. I'm sure Dinnetta will chime in. But in any case, it is NOT the same as spraying a regular 2k matte clear. Anyone using it should understand that from the start.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,238Member, Moderator El Moderator
    And you also have to mix/shake it VERY well. Not just for a few seconds like most do with paints. Before adding the hardener and after. If you don't, you are going to get a more semi-gloss result.
    Worked well for me I just sprayed another pistol with it I will post it later. Just ordered the Glamour glossy can't wait to use it
    edited March 2017
    wynnescc said:
    too shiny
    That may have been the lighing. The texture and durability in this paint is unbelievable. It's some solid stuff very textured grip. I am a new painter so I may have layed a heavy coat down but I'm happy with the flat
    @TheHanzo it is a little more glossy than it should be. No harm if you don't mind it. When sprayed correctly its dead flat like their Dead Flat clear.
    @TheHanzo it is a little more glossy than it should be. No harm if you don't mind it. When sprayed correctly its dead flat like their Dead Flat clear.
    I have done one more since then and it came a little flatter. I was definitely laying it on to heavy but I'm dialing it in. Chalk it up to user error 
    TheHanzo said:

I have done one more since then and it came a little flatter. I was definitely laying it on to heavy but I'm dialing it in. Chalk it up to user error 

Too heavy is a common problem w/ guys shooting matte. I'm guilty myself and even have a discussion about PCL26 coming out too glossy. It's VERY easy to do that w/ PCL26. It's a rock hard flat clear and looks great when applied correctly, you just have to be careful.