Need some advice

Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭
ok. Before I started dipping.   I wanted to be set up. But I guess that never stops.  Well now that I'm dipping and getting great dips I want to perfect my work even more. So now it's clear coat perfection so that leads me to my paint booth.  I bought a 8x16 shed. It had two windows and one walk through door.  I have a box fan with a filter at one window pointing out to blow fumes out (side where I paint) and I am. Ow finding out how dangerous it is do I'm gonna vault until I find a solution.   I open other window on other side which is on same wall to let inlet air in.  was getting descent results but now I read tat the ignition source is the fan I'm just sucking all the vapor to that motor.  So I took the fan and put at other window blowing in which I'll cause positive pressure and fresh air against motor abs opened window close to where I paint with filter.  And the trash I've accumulated.     I really want to set this up right.  I am thinking of putting a wall to separate my walkin door from outside and that way I will have a separate room for mixing paint and such. And that will add a door inside to my actual paint booth.  Funds are currently drained from getting off my feet.  I am in now way doing this for a business but I want to be safe and have quality work.  And explosion proof fans I've found are $800+.   Is the one I have pictures work if I use the duct and built a nice filter before the fan?  And how would y'all set it up?   

I just finished insulating it and this weekend i am walling it up with some slick boarding and sealing ALL Seams.   I probably won't build the wall right this second but I would like to vent it so it's safe.   I am about to draw a little scratch of what I have in mind.  If it seem it will work.   Please let me know where I should put fan exhaust filter and Inlet filter.  Thanks a lot guy.  

And I suppose if I need to just shut it down until I get the funds, I guess I will.   But the little $$ I make is what I have been using to build my little venture.  

Comments

• Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The fan is a 2300 cfm and it is explosion proof
    edited January 2017
    This is what I had in mind.  To add a z shaped wall to separate paint booth from mixing room.  That way if someone walks in unexpectedly, they arnt going into my paint booth    And I could filter in cleaner, almost dust free  air from my mixing room into paint booth and then filter out exhaust fumes. And just make sure everything is sealed.   The only reason I wanted to makenpaint booth side on the same side as roll up door is because that will give me the option to still paint bigger items that I couldn't fit through a walk through door occasionally.  And please don't be too rough on me even though I probably deserve it

and one more thing   The lights I am currently using is LED shoplights . Not the bulb type.  They are interegated into the fixuture and not replaceable    
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    If at all possible, you'll want your door down near the exhaust filter. That way, when the door is open (like when you leave the paint booth with freshly painted parts) any debris entering will go straight to the exhaust filters and not get sucked over your wet parts on the way to them.
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭✭
    @NotSoFast - would that still be an issue if his exhaust fan can be turned on and off before opening any doors, after painting/clear? I would think if the exhaust was shut off, very little if any debris would come in because he would only have the door open briefly. Not saying your wrong because I know little of these as well, but just my thoughts.

My little homemade booth is currently set up as negative pressure but after some heavy reading I'm thinking of switching it to positive as well.
    Ok. I can cut a hole in the wall next to door way that I will add and use the existing window for my inlet.  Or I can cut anywhere to add inlets if it's more beneficial.   And is the exhaust and inlet better to be low or high?   
    I think I am going to look for a supplied air system and not use a fan until I can get one that is safe. I found some co pledge setups for the $300 range.    And then I'll already have the fresh air mask so that will be a plus.   
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator

Ok. I can cut a hole in the wall next to door way that I will add and use the existing window for my inlet.  Or I can cut anywhere to add inlets if it's more beneficial.   And is the exhaust and inlet better to be low or high?   

Inlet high, exhaust low. Clean air from above bringing any dust down to the floor and out. You don't want to be sucking air up from the floor and over the parts.

You'll still need a fan even with supplied air. You don't want a cloud of overspray settling on your parts as they dry. You won't get a very smooth result.
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 953Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    You need an axial fan ducted into your filter system, you want the motor outside the flow of air/paint fumes. What ever CFM that is going out the fan, you must have the same fresh (filtered air coming in to replace the air going out.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You shouldn't run positive pressure in your booth... Unless you want a fine mist of overspray constantly coating the inside of your entire shop. And never turn off your fan before you leave the paint booth. Anytime your booth flexes particulate falls from every corner and seam... You need the booth to be on or that dirt settles directly on your parts.

There is ALOT of reasons paint booths are designed the way they are, and you have to assume those guys knew what they were doing. The fan has to be an axial inline to be considered explosion proof with the motor out of the airflow. Even if it's TEFC. You can cut corners and save money... But you are on borrowed time. Eventually you are going to have a problem.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    I agree with @WileECoyote here...I do not favor a positive pressure booth...unless you got a hell of a filter on your intake? You are just asking for any little nodule of dirt to come into your booth and land right smack in the middle of your perfectly cleared part...

As for all the money you are putting into that shed? I would have invested in a small table top booth or even a filter bank instead...both have explosion proof fans already built into them and are much cheaper than a full-blown booth...
    Well, I got a really good deal on the shed..  basically I just had to get it moved, and I used to drive a tow truck a little on the side, so I borrowed one and moved it at my house..  I do have about $150 in insulation,$25 in box fans, and $50 on LED lights..   so I don't have a ton in it so far.  and I didn't have anywhere to put any other the type booths.. I actually never knew of them until now.  but I figure since I have the shed, I can adapt it to where its safe and operational for the time being.  and I can always have an extra shed when I upgrade because, the good thing is hopefully in about a year, I will be building me a big shop.. with a car lift so I can continue my mechanic side work and I will also have the added room for a dip room, paint area, and prep area..  I have guys actually handling my mechanic gigs so that helps because it gives me time to make some here...  I am about to the point to get someone and pay them to help me with this venture.   
    I agree with @WileECoyote here...I do not favor a positive pressure booth...unless you got a hell of a filter on your intake? You are just asking for any little nodule of dirt to come into your booth and land right smack in the middle of your perfectly cleared part... As for all the money you are putting into that shed? I would have invested in a small table top booth or even a filter bank instead...both have explosion proof fans already built into them and are much cheaper than a full-blown booth...

and I totally agree    My shed has been under a negative pressure for the whole time until I started doing my research and seen how dangerous and lucky i was with those box fans.  so, i swapped the fan and made it positive to be safe and TRASH EVERYWHERE...  before then everything was so slick and im still learning but was very happy until now...  i need to get it set up back to negative pressure and safe