Can i use my PPG basecoat paint. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can i use my PPG basecoat paint.

JohnD63JohnD63 Posts: 18Member
Is there a problem if i use my PPG basecoat paints and Clears? I recently saw some advertising for Hydro graphic paints, so was a bit confused as to what i can use. Thanks

Comments

• norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 846Member ✭✭✭
    You can. Some of the hydrographic paints have a much larger open dip time though.
  • JohnD63JohnD63 Posts: 18Member
    Thanks for the response. Do you mean if i was to dip the Hydro graphics onto my base coat, as opposed to a hydro graphics paint basecoat, there could be a problem, even if i prepped carefully? Thanks again.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It should work fine but watch your dip window. Some paints "close" after a certain amount of time and won't accept the dip. Paint, let it dry to the touch, then dip and you'll be ok (as long as everything else goes correct!).
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,139Member, Moderator El Moderator
    With most automotive paints, you can only dip to them within 8-12 hours after painting. With paints made for hydrographics, you have almost an unlimited time to dip. Handy if you don't want to stay late to dip on a Friday night. Paint Friday and dip the next week.
  • JohnD63JohnD63 Posts: 18Member
    Thanks for enlightening me guys :)
  • liquidconceptsliquidconcepts Posts: 120Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    We have used PPG in the past and have been able to get a pretty decent dipping window out of it. Like a few weeks to a month. The key is not to put in base-coat hardener/activator. We still use all automotive base-coats and clears in our shop and we have great dipping windows and results. I think a lot has to do with what you are use to painting with. There are some good hydrographic paints on the market too with that being said. We just prefer automotive for all of the services we offer.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,465Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can also use a clear intercoat over your ppg paint giving you a longer dip window @onehitwonder sells it
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,672Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @liquidconcepts I agree there are ways to make 2k paints stay open a bit longer. But I caution anyone without a few years of spray experience not to start deviating from manufacturer specs. You can end up with a part that won't cure out for ALOT longer than you have to get it out the door.
  • liquidconceptsliquidconcepts Posts: 120Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I agree as ppl don't need to start trying things on customers parts. This is why we have our training classes to help teach everybody this and the things not to do so they have a full knowledge and understanding of the paint and coatings they are using.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Test. Everything. You have to do your due diligence.
  • teopapteopap Posts: 6Member
    I have my first "customer"☺ It's a plastic already painted can i dip it such as it is or i have to paint it again?
    @teopap you will have to paint it again. If the current paint is in good shape, scuff w scotch brite or sand w 400 grit. You can use the color of paint needed or an intercoat clear if the current color is correct.
  • teopapteopap Posts: 6Member
    Thank you very much☺