Paint Booth Air gun Filtration — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paint Booth Air gun Filtration

aahydroNJaahydroNJ Posts: 53Member
what is the easiest setup to filter air coming out of the gun from the compressor?

I'm not looking for the $7 filter you add to the gun to hopefully catch condensation.

I'm in a price range of a $300 filtration setup for my lines. Lets see what you have....

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • aahydroNJaahydroNJ Posts: 53Member
    Shopped around. The cartridges are close to 1/3 the price of the unit. What else do you have attached. The ct30 goes for 350 right now
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We run a refrigerated air dryer right after the compressor, then that setup you see there. The first thing is a coarse coalescing filter to catch the nasty stuff coming from my rusty black pipe air system. The other is a Motor Guard sub micronic filter. Highly recommend the motor guard. Check amazon.
    @MidOhioHydrographics the ct30 is already at 350 plus motor guard and theb mounting etc I'm at roughly 500. Any less cost effective units anyone knows about?
    For a long time we just ran the coarse coalescing filter and the Motor Guard, but w the refrigerated drier it was fine. (I picked up The CT-30 for free at an auction). I would suggest you put in a cooling loop like what @K2Concepts did, then an expansion chamber w a drain at the bottom. Make an S pattern w at minimum five 10' sections of copper going back and forth, then neck it up to a 3-4" section about 3ft long w a drain at the bottom, come out the top of that to your shop. Drain the system daily. This will allow water to condense out. The filters I mentioned (minus the CT-30) will treat you well.

Here's a link to a photo of what Jim did:
    http://k2forums.com/discussion/8821/opening-a-hydrographics-business-step-by-step/p4
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    edited January 2017
    Guys, look...if there WAS a more cost effective alternative? Don't you think the guys that own businesses would have found it by now? We are not so busy that we don't constantly look for ways to cut our costs, ESPECIALLY when you run a business...it's our JOB to look for ways to save a buck. But the bottom line is this is the entry fee. You want nice clean dry air? This is what it costs...period...you want to try and cut corners and pay less? Then you are going to get a system that PERFORMS less...resulting in trash and fisheyes in your clear and paint. Joe just told you he tried to get away without spending the time and money to do it correctly. Whether it was lack of funds or lack of knowledge? The results are the same...Once you install a correctly designed and filtered system? There is no comparison and you would never go back.

I did the same thing when I started out. Lack of knowledge and funds kept me fighting trash and fisheye resulting in an inferior product for YEARS...donot make our mistakes all over again is what we are telling you...You are going to spend WAY over that $500 filtration system fighting sanding out trash not to mention the frustration and/or disappointed customers...so without further adieu?

Less than $300? Rot's O Ruck...in this trade, like anything else, you get what you pay for. I can't stress enough how important it is to have proper filtration on your air system. It is SO important that we have an entire section in the training book discussing how to install a properly designed system. You are going to spend $300 to $500 on piping alone WITHOUT the filters so you better put on your big boy panties and start shopping around.

And before the "I am just doing this as a hobby" guys start beating me down...This has nothing to do with whether it's a hobby for you or not...once you start laying down paint and clear it makes little difference to the compressor or the air lines whether it's a hobby or not...air don't care...it's simply a matter of physics...you are burning up air faster than most of the compressors can keep up so you will generate more water in your air system naturally...and the intake will bring in more trash. Heck, most air compressors out there have no filter on their intakes as it is...

So you are already fighting an uphill battle and then you are going to hamstring yourself by capping your budget below a reasonable thresh hold?...
    Post edited by K2Concepts on
    @K2Concepts this is the answer I was looking for from the start. I'm not looking to do this as a hobby - but I am starting off small until I build a customer base then move into a shop. Focusing primarily in local dealerships currently. That being said it looks like 1k towards an air system is accurate.
    I would seriously consider one of these:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/compressed-air-dryer-40211.html

Use a 20% off one item coupon and I think it'll serve you well for a while. My 100CFM EMax air dryer was much more pricey.

I would seriously consider one of these:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/compressed-air-dryer-40211.html

Use a 20% off one item coupon and I think it'll serve you well for a while. My 100CFM EMax air dryer was much more pricey.

Thanks - @K2Concepts @MidOhioHydrographics I was also suggested that if I'm not doing large quantities of painting that I could get away with a turbine sprayer - no need for air filtration. I may have just opened up another can of worms here....did a search on the forum and didn't see anything.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4NPPNM/ref=psdc_497500_t3_B00D4NPMJO
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,167Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    By all means... Be the Guinea pig for testing new techniques. Or make money dipping
    aahydroNJ said:

Thanks - @K2Concepts @MidOhioHydrographics I was also suggested that if I'm not doing large quantities of painting that I could get away with a turbine sprayer - no need for air filtration. I may have just opened up another can of worms here....did a search on the forum and didn't see anything.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4NPPNM/ref=psdc_497500_t3_B00D4NPMJO

$760???? Are you kidding me? And it will only do one thing at a time? Why in the hell would you get something like that when you could put $1000 into your air system and have a bad@ss air loop and a nice CT30 for EVERYTHING you do...There is a REASON you couldn't find anything about that on the forum...it's because it's a stupid not so smart idea...
    I have zero experience w turbine sprayers. The only time I've seen them used is spraying finishes in woodworking for home projects. I feel like it's a step in the wrong direction. Remember if that was an efficient/cost effective way of applying finishes, wouldn't every auto body shop be using it? Invest in a quality spray setup. Good quality guns: Air Gunsa ($175 ish) or better, a good compressor, and adequate clean, dry air. THAT is a recipe for quality spray finishes. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, brother. That turbine sprayer may be amazing, but to me it sounds expensive and unproven.
    Sorry about that...it's been a long day and I haven't slept a lot these days...
    This might help with that air dryer...

Sorry about that...it's been a long day and I haven't slept a lot these days...

Takes a lot of offend me. Yes it only has one use but could be a quick way to lay paint. It was a suggestion of a friend of mine who does paint work for Harley.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,167Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I believe in that instance, it would be used as an electrostatic gun (much better for transfer efficiency) but that requires that the part be fully groundable. Not so hard when it is a tank or fender, but a bit more difficult when it is a plastic faring. Any plastic part requires that it be painted with a conductive primer, and the fixturing then needs to be able to ground itself, and cut through all the subsequent layers of paint to get to that conductive layer or the effect is wasted.
  • CarbonCustomCarbonCustom Posts: 9Member
    I realize this is a bit old but wondering does anyone have experience with a ingersoll rand air dryer d25in? would that be acceptable without running a cooling loop for now? i want to run from my 80 gallon compressor into that than from that into 3/4 pex-al-pex with drops with drips and filters at 3 locations for painting and 2 for air tools.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-Refrigerated-Air-Dryer/dp/B002CWAJXM
    Yep. That would work awesome. I run an Emax refrigerated dryer that works great. I still recommend a filter right before the gun to stop any particulates.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    This thread was exactly what I've been looking for. It answers so many questions I had/have.

You guys really are outstanding for sharing your knowledge with us newbies.