Helpful jig for Yetis, RTIC, cups — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Helpful jig for Yetis, RTIC, cups

LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 744Member ✭✭✭
Nothing over the top, but simple to make for tumblers, A piece of 6" - 3" PVC, or ABS, which fits nicely in the end of a 30oz tumbler, then we wrap a strip of rubber weather stripping with a self sticking back around the pipe right at where it fits inside the lip, and there ya go, no masking and nothing gets inside the cup, from blasting to base coat, dipping to clear coat. We'll even add a reducer and a small chunk of 2" on the end which seems to be easier to hold onto and roll. We also tried a 1" PVC coupling and hot glued it on the taped off bottom, for a two handed roll for a little better handling and dip control, what's nice, if you use a little acetone and wipe the pipe really good, where the weather stripping will go, the stuff sticks like glue, which is sweet, for reusing over and over again

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,812Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Very nice! I'll try to remember to take a pic of ours when I get to the shop.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,765Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it! With a large diameter "Handle" it helps the dipper to keep from "spinning in place" and promotes rolling into the film. Excellent job @Libertyman
  • PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro Posts: 536Member ✭✭✭
    very cool idea. im still trying to build myself something that will make my process more efficient. a holder and dipping system.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,812Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

very cool idea. im still trying to build myself something that will make my process more efficient. a holder and dipping system.

Remember that funless you have a significant amount of cups to do in the same pattern, 1 cup every 3 minutes will go a long way to being profitable. Or put two pieces of film on the water, activate them both, and dip two cups one after the other. Now you have 2 cups every 3.5 minutes. Do those calculations....
    This is what we are using. We just hang them from a hook, but the same principle could be applied with whatever adapter you need for jigging or other part of your process. Drill a 1/4" hole and use 1/4" threaded rod and the possibilities are endless.

@MidOhioHydrographics well I have a great stick I made that I dip my cups with and it works wonderfully, but after seeing that bike sprocket contraption one person made I knew I could still improve efficiency/consistency/ease
    @ltnlover21 let's say your fixture holds 4 cups to dip at once. Using the 3 minute cycle time as a reference, As long as it takes you less than 12 minutes to fixture and dip? It's an improvement. It could definitely add up quickly and be very beneficial.
  • RadicalSideHydroRadicalSideHydro Posts: 587Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Ive played around with several jigs but havent had time to dial them in. I had one to do foir but one i built for 3 seems to work better. I think with four it basically is trying to pull the fill away from each other so its a spacing issue.when i find out if were coming to traing i may bring a couple of them with me to show. 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator

Ive played around with several jigs but havent had time to dial them in. I had one to do foir but one i built for 3 seems to work better. I think with four it basically is trying to pull the fill away from each other so its a spacing issue.when i find out if were coming to traing i may bring a couple of them with me to show. 

I was thinking the same thing. You may end up eating your saved time benefit with having to use more film to do 4 at once compared to doing them individually.
    NotSoFast said:

I was thinking the same thing. You may end up eating your saved time benefit with having to use more film to do 4 at once compared to doing them individually.
    Agreed. There's a fine line... BUT... once you have a fixture that uses the exact amount of film needed? You'll never waste a centimeter again. Make lines on your cutting table, and use the exact size each time.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,750Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    There is a point where some guys start to get carried away. The fun project becomes making the fixture, not making money. If you are a dipper, then the time, materials, and research time needs to improve your process enough to recoup that time, as if you had kept dipping
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,564Administrator El Jefe

There is a point where some guys start to get carried away. The fun project becomes making the fixture, not making money. If you are a dipper, then the time, materials, and research time needs to improve your process enough to recoup that time, as if you had kept dipping

This...
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 744Member ✭✭✭
    My whole point was, it was a simple inexpensive way to handle these cups from start to finish. 10-15 bucks in material and maybe an hour of my time is chump change for a jig in the long run. Now I have 30 of these on the shelf, I can quickly stuff one in each cup and be off to the races. A multiple  cup rolling jig  could still be incorporated  using this same idea but that's for a different  time and discussion. once you plug the pvc into the glass it's there until your ready to box them up for the customer. Using a jig to do multiple units is by far a better way to make more money per dip but nobody has perfected that one as of yet. The small amount of time it takes to get the tumblers ready is pretty miniscule in the over all picture.
    This is what we are using. We just hang them from a hook, but the same principle could be applied with whatever adapter you need for jigging or other part of your process. Drill a 1/4" hole and use 1/4" threaded rod and the possibilities are endless.
    Joe does the cork just fit in the cup snug or do you tighten it down  with a wrench to expand the cork
    Fits tight @Libertyman. There are two separate sizes for 30oz and 20oz cups. The nut on each side just holds the eye bolt. Just starts to squish the middle if tightened too much. We hang the cups without them falling out. The only issue we had was using them w/ cerakote. The heat and oversprayed coating on the cork caused it to shrink and it doesn't fit anymore. Lesson learned. We have painted/dipped a ton on the same ones tho.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,750Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Libertyman Sorry man, that wasn't a shot at you, just more of a general statement. Your fixture is cheap and effective (just how its supposed to be). I have made VERY expensive fixtures that mask, index, present "A" surfaces, rotate, and slice julienne fries... So I know how to do it, and I have to fight that urge ALOT. But I have also seen it creep in to threads here, so I try to pass along a bit of those "learned the hard way" things here when I can.
    like to know where he got all these materials lol building ten of them was a whole lot more than 15 bucks for me :( will be super useful though!

@Libertyman Sorry man, that wasn't a shot at you, just more of a general statement. Your fixture is cheap and effective (just how its supposed to be). I have made VERY expensive fixtures that mask, index, present "A" surfaces, rotate, and slice julienne fries... So I know how to do it, and I have to fight that urge ALOT. But I have also seen it creep in to threads here, so I try to pass along a bit of those "learned the hard way" things here when I can.

No offense taken, I get what you're saying, iam one who likes quick simple solutions, some work some don't. And I agree, some guys spend way to much time trying to reinvent the wheel.

like to know where he got all these materials lol building ten of them was a whole lot more than 15 bucks for me :( will be super useful though!

Home Depot, 1-PVC pipe 10.00 bucks, ABS is more at my store, iam a contractor by trade, so we have some scraps of pipe laying around, and an extra 5.00 bucks for the other fittings... so even still, if you were to buy it all it's still under 30 bucks. We have Menards, in Minnesota, and @WileECoyote home town of Wisconsin, they are usually cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot

A ten foot piece of pipe, gets you 20 - 6" lengths

edited December 2016
    ya an eight foot section at lowes was 13 dollars, those 3" to 2" fittings were like 4 bucks a piece and I think section of 2" was about that the same ; ; lol not a contractor. sad days lol. on the plus side I have 9 nifty new jigs
  • RadicalSideHydroRadicalSideHydro Posts: 587Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I haven't had time to fine tune the jigs i built but there are a couple of guys on here that i have sold them to and they have them dialed in and working great.
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 685Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Here's one using the frame from RadicalSideHydro
    Jig.JPG 702.2K
    It works.

Here's one using the frame from RadicalSideHydro

F
    Are those air hose fittings, on that roll jig? If so how does that work?

Yes they are @Libertyman ..., I have the male on the jig and the female coupler on the tumbler insert. After I roll the tumblers I transfer them to the jig in the rinse tank.

Don't underestimate @SingleAction52 he has a plan for everything... Love to see this kind of stuff.
    @SingleAction52 so those air fittings don't slip when turning the jig? Just curious, seems like there might be some possible slippage, just knowing that they do move. (using other air tools) I'd be a little leary that one tumbler or two wouldn't turn and just slide through the film on the water. Is the a way to keep that possibility from happening? I do like the quick connect though, sweet idea.
    There's such little resistance on the cup, I doubt they would slip. If you hold onto the cup I'm sure it would, but there's nothing touching the cup except water/film. Not enough friction there to overcome the friction of the fitting. Haven't used one, just my thoughts.
    @Libertyman, @MidOhioHydrographics is 100% correct. The same thing crossed my mind when I saw @RadicalSideHydro use them. I haven't had one to slip, (for that reason anyway), yet. And by the way, in case you don't know, 1/2" standard bolt thread will screw in to 1/4 female pipe fittings.