random project

dippinchitdippinchit Posts: 120Member ✭✭
edited December 2016 in General Paint Questions
I wanted to start a thread about "How To"
I picked a Harley out that I like and also see some flaws/airbrush.nice lines, etc...
I would like feed back on the order of progression, paint, order and masking, improvement's.cost,what to charge, etc...
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/5865888631.html
anyone care to share?

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited December 2016
    If I did that paint job, it would be $5k+. LOTS of work on that one.

As far as step by step? All that info is here someplace.

Here's a quick rundown....

Strip original finish, prime & sand smooth, mask as needed, base, dip, touch up, clear for save point, scuff, mask designs, paint/pinstripe, clear again, scuff/wet sand, final pinstripe/touch up, final clear, wet sand, clear again, polish, burn through edges, touch up, clear again, drop part, touch up, clear again, wet sand smooth & polish, sand through clear in an area leaving a halo, scuff entire part, clear again & polish... you get the point.
  • irishcustomirishcustom Posts: 120Member ✭✭

If I did that paint job, it would be $5k+. LOTS of work on that one.

As far as step by step? All that info is here someplace.

Here's a quick rundown....

Strip original finish, prime & sand smooth, mask as needed, base, dip, touch up, clear for save point, scuff, mask designs, paint/pinstripe, clear again, scuff/wet sand, final pinstripe/touch up, final clear, wet sand, clear again, polish, burn through edges, touch up, clear again, drop part, touch up, clear again, wet sand smooth & polish, sand through clear in an area leaving a halo, scuff entire part, clear again & polish... you get the point.

Lol I love it. Burn through edges, touch up, drop part, touch up lol.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I hate custom gloss clear...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    This is what the company I worked for did. CVO painter for Harley Davidson. Its a one off so its not gonna be cheap...

This comes to me COMPLETELY disassembled. That includes all emblems and reflectors removed... anything that isn't sheet-metal better be gone.
    Strip (walnutshell blasting to not deform the metal)
    Light steelshot (or sand) to etch the metal for bite.
    Bondo or hammer and dolly any dings
    Prime within an hour of blast to prevent rust blooms and baked
    Base color black
    Clear
    Sand
    Index line is striped
    Pearl
    Clear
    Clean up (dust nibs are sanded out, and parts are checked for problems
    Reverse masked
    Dipped
    Cleared
    Airbrushed
    masking removed
    Cleanup any adhesive
    Clear
    Sand the parting line
    HD sticker is applied or is airbrushed on
    Build coat Clear
    Build coat Clear
    Sand
    Clear
    Scuff for Buff
    Buff
    Emblems are applied
    Ship it

If it all went right (it NEVER all went right, even in high volume production) this would take 2 weeks to get out the door at a cost of around $4000... and that was with volumes of 50 to 60 bikes (all exactly the same) per week.

If you are doing this yourself, and only one? I wouldn't charge less than $8000. You are gonna be VERY aggravated at $5000 for that project. In the end? That is a $35,000 bike if it brand new. To do that to a 2008? You better LOVE that bike cause you will never sell it for what its worth.

If you are doing this yourself, and only one? I wouldn't charge less than $8000. You are gonna be VERY aggravated at $5000 for that project. In the end? That is a $35,000 bike if it brand new. To do that to a 2008? You better LOVE that bike cause you will never sell it for what its worth.

Oh, and I forgot to mention I have a horrible problem with undercharging...
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,763Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you want a blank canvas to buy im selling it got me a Indian lol
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Oh, and I forgot to mention I have a horrible problem with undercharging...
    I used to as well. Now ANYTHING I do, I figure my cost and double it. If the customer walks away... I keep living my life and eat dinner with my family at night. My skills are worth it when its all done. If they go for it, then I do the job and get the payoff at the end.. if I feel like the job went well, I knock some off at the end. Then EVERYONE is happy.
  • dippinchitdippinchit Posts: 120Member ✭✭
    Looch Miles and selling $?

• dippinchitdippinchit Posts: 120Member ✭✭
    WileE- With your tools and what you know. What would that break down to per hour in a basic home shop?
    Is it really a better money maker to dip Yeti's?

@dippinchit your profit margins should be very close no matter what you're dipping/doing in your shop.
    @dippinchit I have 3 price structures for anything I am doing at any time (this does not count doing favors or just helping friends out which I feel I do more often than most)

Work which friends feel they need to pay me for $20/hr
    Work which is for a customer that I feel is routine or easy $35/hr
    Work for a customer who is picky, that i feel may be difficult, or that requires skill or thinking $55/hour

That is my profit, after materials are paid for. It is a guideline that I have followed for a few years and seems to work out well for me. As you can see though, it doesn't lend itself to dipping cups very well. So I automatically steer away from certain types of work. I have a full time job that pays the bills though, so that doesn't work for everybody.