what happens if you use an acrylic enamel aerosol clear over a dip? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what happens if you use an acrylic enamel aerosol clear over a dip?

I recently dipped something small just to test something & I scuffed & hit with sandpaper the item.. based it in a few coats of OHW red & then cleared it the next day with an aerosol clear. I know this aint the norm.. but I tried Duplicolor high gloss acrylic enamel clear made for wheels. it was for a sample piece & thought it to be an interesting experiment as I am trying to understand the different type of clears & I had it already. so I went on ok & its not that it looks bad bad... but it seems that the pattern of the film itself has broken up some.. almost like pixelating some but not completely. It was fine before I cleared it so is there a chemical reaction going on here that I am not aware of yet? The film that I used is Dead Hedz for which I am sure your all aware of. So much for that sample piece... strip it back down & start over.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 7,979Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It's the propellants in the aerosol eating the print. You need to spray the first coats lightly from far away and give the solvents time to evaporate in the air. After a couple coats like that, then go heavy. It's a common problem w/ aerosol clears.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,363Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly right
  • RavenbonesRavenbones Posts: 34Member
    will the OHW 2k clear aerosol have the same issues due to the propellant also? If so then I bought the mini clear 2k kit from OHW. Can that OHW 2k clear be sprayed through an airbrush for smaller batches on small projects?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 4,968Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Any propellent can cause issues. Just hold your can back farther when you spray the first time, or use slightly lighter coats to begin with.
    Our 2k can go on wet, even the aeros. The regular clear aeros have the high propellant volume, so be careful
  • RavenbonesRavenbones Posts: 34Member
    OHW.. I bought one of the small 2k clear kits.. can I use an airbrush to spray that with on really small stuff or is the atomization too different?
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 2,731Member, Moderator El Moderator

OHW.. I bought one of the small 2k clear kits.. can I use an airbrush to spray that with on really small stuff or is the atomization too different?

2K clear is usually pretty viscous. I don't think it'd spray properly out of an airbrush.
    Just cut it 15-20% with acetone, and you'll be fine
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    Boy I wish I had seen this before I put a clear coat on my gun stock, 1st dip I dipped to fast and tore through second dip actually looked good until I did the same thing, sprayed 1st coat and the images suddenly started fading. Oh well third time a charm