clear coat drying factors — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

clear coat drying factors

I am a DIYer, with the problem I was having with the clear coats not drying properly I was looking into may building a UV curing box or should I just go for a IR lamp , but I am having a hard time researching curing times for both for IR and UV.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,707Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    The clear coat cure times will be on the TDS (tech data sheet) for your specific clear. That combined w/ testing will let you know what works best for your circumstances. Our matte clear can be placed in front of our IR bank for 10 minutes then packaged. Other clears take an hour or more. UV clears are special and expensive. Not all clears can be cured by UV, but many are very hard and very fast drying. You can also just put some IR lamps in a box and use it like an oven. Get a thermometer and keep it at whatever the TDS recommends. Here is an example TDS for the gloss "speed clear" we like to use. It is extremely fast drying under IR, but also about $350/gallon. Note the drying times under various conditions on page 3.

https://www.repaintsupply.com/files/DC3000-TDS.pdf
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What kind of quantity are you expecting to run here? Or is this something you just plan to spend money on for fun?
  • druw522druw522 Posts: 9Member
    @WileECoyote I'm looking to turn this into a business . The volume will pick up I'm sure I'm the only person looking to do this in my area. just looking ahead.
    Thanx MidOhiohydrographics good info. I'll have to use this asite a reference.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,707Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Here is what I have. I set them up like a wall and we wheel a rack of parts in front to cure:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/8-Sets-2KW-Spray-Baking-booth-Infrared-Paint-Curing-Lamp-Heating-Light-Heater-A-/281298691268?nav=SEARCH

You'll need some electrical skills and to build a control box for efficient function.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I advise taking it slow. There are PLENTY of things you can spend money on. Unless you have an open checkbook and no limits, i would advise sticking to the smaller purchases right now and refining my process. 

On a side note, just because no one does that in your area... doesn't mean it's a good market for it. Be careful, and create a business plan. There aren't alot of freezer salesman in Alaska... but no one is rushing to fill that gap.
    Duly noted .WileECoyote
    You'd be surprised how quickly you'll find people in your area doing it. There aren't a lot of guys making a living off of dipping exclusively. Lots of garage dippers, some of which turn out some very impressive work.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,476Administrator El Jefe
    Yea...I am a overnight sensation that took 10 years...