My Clear coat sucks!!!

I have am new to dipping , I have only been doing it for 6 months now. I started an project with my harley davidson 883. Thru trail and error and a few rolls of film I got it somewhat down to perfection now my high gloss clear coat looks horrible , after about two days left to dry I handle the parts and it not dry and some areas have finger prints from where I touched it. PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @druw522 welcome to another area of the process which is an art! Getting perfect gloss clear is something that can take years to master. There are a lot of videos on here about how to spray clear, denib clear, and polish clear.

If you're using aerosol can clear? I would start over. It's single component and not going to hold up on something like a Harley. The exception being OHW's 2k aerosols which actually have a hardener.

If you're using a good 2k clear from an HVLP gun? Then you must have mixed the hardener incorrectly if it's still tacky after days.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    What paint and clear did you use?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If it isn't dry by now, strip it down and start over. You need to use a 2K clear or the first time you spill a little gas on it, its going to bubble up on you and strip off anyway, like @MidOhioHydrographics said. I would save the Harley for this spring, and concentrate on a few smaller (less expensive) projects right now.
  • druw522druw522 Posts: 9Member
    All of the comments sounds about right, I started with the aerosol can clear. I started back in the spring with different patterns and speed shapes. I have purchased a compressor and guns since then , I wanted to just home in the skills a little before I break and let the weather warm up before I start to mix clear and hardener. OHW's 2k aerosols is the next purchase . STARTING OVER NOW!!!! Thanx again.
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    druw522 said:
    All of the comments sounds about right, I started with the aerosol can clear. I started back in the spring with different patterns and speed shapes. I have purchased a compressor and guns since then , I wanted to just home in the skills a little before I break and let the weather warm up before I start to mix clear and hardener. OHW's 2k aerosols is the next purchase . STARTING OVER NOW!!!! Thanx again.
    If you already have the compressor and guns then why not buy some of ohw or big brains clear and shoot that?  You're going to have to learn how to shoot with a gun eventually anyway and get away from the aerosols.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Text me and we'll get you helped out

JJ

305-318-1468
    @PTC_HydroGraphX that's what I'm looking at doing, I just wanted to wait til the spring time as of now I am working outside.
    @onehitwonder will do. Look for that by Saturday with pictures.