over/under activation

New to this so please bear with me.
Rattle cans
plastic tub
all paint film and activator purchased from dipthis.co.uk

Yes i know rattle cans are bad, but as a beginner i have to start somewhere, and living in a 1 bed flat leaves few options, (no room for a compressor etc, also have to use balcony on a wind free day lol).

water temp 90
soak time 1.00
activate as soon as it looks like glass

Am i correct in saying that over activating can be caused by too much activator OR leaving too long before dipping?

Under activating, can be not enough, or dipping too soon ?

The first pic: yes there is a crease top left. Also ignore the distotion on lower half as that is the flash on my camera, and not seen on the actual item. The spots are the problem.

photo 2: This time it is the stretching and the fading. (camera is showing white spot, but not visible on the item.

Photo 3: Similar problem, white spot and stretching but also on this one is the grainy look. It also has had lacquer applied.
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• meszamesza Posts: 13Member
    sorry, the crease is on the 2nd pic
    My appologies. first and second pics seem to have swapped round when i put them on, sorry for the confusion
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,253Member, Moderator El Moderator
    They all look to be under activated. Next time try a bit more.
    @NotSoFast thanks for the advice, was worried to spray too much, but will try again.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,253Member, Moderator El Moderator
    It's a lot easier to under activate then to over activate. Learn to read your films. Some take more than others. Generally, the heavier the inks (flames, lots of blacks) need more than stuff with lots of transparent areas and light colors.
    ok, that makes sense, and once again thanks for the advice, i am in the learning curve of when and when not to dip, but your answer explains that as well
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,336Administrator El Jefe
    NotSoFast said:

They all look to be under activated. Next time try a bit more.

This...
    I will try again, and hopefully get it right ;)
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learning to read your film like @NotSoFast said is so, so important. Many people want to dip the part as soon as they lay the activator but certain patterns you don't have to. Take notes also on each pattern you work with so you'll know next time you mess with a pattern how much activator, water temp, soak time and basically how forgiving each pattern is. Notes will save you money. lol good luck!!
    thank you for your advice, i will definately be taking notes