Rust-oleum — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rust-oleum

How's it going fellow dippers I was wondering if the spray paint (rust-oleum) is a good paint to use? I'm on a budget right now and need to get some work done. Has anyone use this kind of paint for base color and if so how much time do you have to wait until you dip the part. I'm working on engine plastic covers. Let me know thanks

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Simple answer. No.

If you can't afford/ get the right products, that is understandable. But until you can? Don't hire out your work.
  • daricksta619daricksta619 Posts: 77Member ✭✭
    What the reason though? What type of paints should I be using then?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,932Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Search, my friend. Tons of info on here about this.

Would you take your car to someone that promised a professional paint job, but cash was a little tight, they just ran down to the hardware store and grabbed some Rustoleum aerosols?

The forum sponsors sell professional (and compatible) paints in aerosols. If you're also planning to use aerosol clear? OHW make a 2k aerosol that is the next best thing to a spray gun.

Honestly, if you are doing jobs for others? You should be looking to invest in some decent quality equipment, namely 2-3 spray guns and a compressor.
  • 2Kreate2Kreate Posts: 283Member ✭✭✭
    Search, my friend. Tons of info on here about this. Would you take your car to someone that promised a professional paint job, but cash was a little tight, they just ran down to the hardware store and grabbed some Rustoleum aerosols? The forum sponsors sell professional (and compatible) paints in aerosols. If you're also planning to use aerosol clear? OHW make a 2k aerosol that is the next best thing to a spray gun. Honestly, if you are doing jobs for others? You should be looking to invest in some decent quality equipment, namely 2-3 spray guns and a compressor.
    Spot on! 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Some paints (Rustoleum and Krylon, just to name a couple) do not react properly to the activator. That's the main reason.

Unfortunately, this is not an endeavor that lends itself to being on a budget. It's very expensive to do it correctly, consistently. If this wasn't true, we'd all be taking shortcuts to success. We aren't using expensive tools and materials because we like shelling out thousands of dollars for no reason. Please don't take this as a personal affront. It's a general message also for anyone that happens across it in the future.
  • DeepSouthDippinDeepSouthDippin Posts: 277Member ✭✭✭
    Search, my friend. Tons of info on here about this. Would you take your car to someone that promised a professional paint job, but cash was a little tight, they just ran down to the hardware store and grabbed some Rustoleum aerosols? The forum sponsors sell professional (and compatible) paints in aerosols. If you're also planning to use aerosol clear? OHW make a 2k aerosol that is the next best thing to a spray gun. Honestly, if you are doing jobs for others? You should be looking to invest in some decent quality equipment, namely 2-3 spray guns and a compressor.
    What he said!
    Okay done some research and now I getting how paints work. I'm going to get some OHW aerosol paint and see the difference from the rust-oleum but I need to save some money first but for sure the OHW is the way to go I can see that now.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,219Member ✭✭✭✭
    There will be no comparison !!!!! And the 12 for 12 deal is pretty sweet.........
    Yes it is
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,932Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited November 2016

Okay done some research and now I getting how paints work. I'm going to get some OHW aerosol paint and see the difference from the rust-oleum but I need to save some money first but for sure the OHW is the way to go I can see that now.

Good call! One can does quite a few items. I'm still using some over 2 years old when I need a color I don't have otherwise. Working great. No brainer if you must use aerosols. Throw the tips in some Lacquer thinner when you're done, and clean the can top. Keep it from clogging up when you put them away
  • 2Kreate2Kreate Posts: 283Member ✭✭✭
    Haha ^
    Okay I think I'm pretty sure I figured out the window dipping time for rust-oleum aerosol. I know I know what you guys are thinking so be nice out there lol =) . I'm just doing some testing that's all and I will get some OHW soon. the window dipping time is less than a hr or more 30min depending on how the weather is for you. I know for sure if you let it sit for more than a few days the film will not stick at all it will just wash away when rinsing after the dip. I have dipped a lot of items using this method and so far has been a success for me and the rust-oleum clear gloss has been doing good also. So once I do my taxes I will use the money and invest in everything I can in this industry. but until then I'll be using rust-oleum. 
    @daricksta619 do as you wish. We most certainly can't stop you. I would caution to use these products ONLY for practice, and ONLY on things you are going to keep. It may work for now, longevity and durability is another question.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

I know I know what you guys are thinking so be nice out there lol =) . I'm just doing some testing that's all and I will get some OHW soon.

If you knew what I was thinking...
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 761Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @daricksta619
    You'd be better off buying an inexpensive HVLP gun, from Home Depot, or Lowes or for that matter eBay, and get yourself some Behr sample pints from Home Depot, for practice on you own items. Rustoleum works great if you hand painting your kids bicycle, but I wouldn't waste the money or time trying to get it to work, it just doesn't. Listen to the big studs on this forum, they know what their talking about @K2Concepts, @WileECoyote, @MidOhioHydrographics, @onehitwonder, @kansashydro, etc
    They've "been there done that" no disrespect but listen, and learn. Especially when it comes to doing other people's property. Just saying!
    Thank you I really appreciate the words it always helps for the info you guys give and thanks again.
  • Flipside_HydroFlipside_Hydro Posts: 35Member
    I'm late on the topic and I might get bashed for saying this, but I found that rustoleum professional paint at home depot works very well with a log dip window. I have dipped items painted a week prior with great results.
    @newb4now. Are you talking about the aerosol? Or.......
    @NewB4Now it is not unheard of getting good results with krylon, or rustoleum... but it is inconsistent and unpredictable. That is why we say stay away from it. We can't help you when you start with that.
    @newb4now. Are you talking about the aerosol? Or.......
    Yes aerosol.

@NewB4Now it is not unheard of getting good results with krylon, or rustoleum... but it is inconsistent and unpredictable. That is why we say stay away from it. We can't help you when you start with that.

It's understood that paint made for the process is more consistent, but for now being able to use a cheaper option for single projects helps a lot for an up and comer.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    I remain skeptical...
    edited December 2016
    @NewB4Now if it's working for you? Keep at it! But at $12/can from OHW and the consistency, quality oval pattern and coverage it provides? I'm not sure you're really "saving" much in the long run. Per project, you may save a couple bucks max. Not bad for providing the peace of mind that your paint isn't at fault if problems arise.

Use it for practice, don't use it for a customer. May dip fine for now, but holding up correctly under a 2k clear over time is somethjng else to consider.
  • rcmantjkrcmantjk Posts: 99Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Okay I think I'm pretty sure I figured out the window dipping time for rust-oleum aerosol. I know I know what you guys are thinking so be nice out there lol =) . I'm just doing some testing that's all and I will get some OHW soon. the window dipping time is less than a hr or more 30min depending on how the weather is for you. I know for sure if you let it sit for more than a few days the film will not stick at all it will just wash away when rinsing after the dip. I have dipped a lot of items using this method and so far has been a success for me and the rust-oleum clear gloss has been doing good also. So once I do my taxes I will use the money and invest in everything I can in this industry. but until then I'll be using rust-oleum. 

@daricksta619 The dip window on this stuff I know nothing about as I dip whatever it is I'm working on at the time as soon as the paint is dry. Hand soap dispensers before and after below

• hydromathydromat Posts: 53Member
    edited December 2017
    @rcmantjk what is the activator that youve used?
    hydromat I always use Hydrovator activator
    hydromat said:

@rcmantjk what is the activator that youve used?

Hydrovator............
  • artiemagsartiemags Posts: 3Member
    Rustoleum 2K works very well with most products. I’ve dipped guitars using it and never had an issue . I agree though if you want superior quality for a customer you have to go with the right base paint