airbrush & OHW paint & Liquid Print Activator — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

airbrush & OHW paint & Liquid Print Activator

this will probably sound stupid to you pros out there but I was trying to experiment with the mini mixing kit from OHW as well as spraying activator through an Iwata airbrush... the paint comes out really bumpy & you have to keep spraying the activator as it is just atomizing it so fast before it hits the film. Should I just stay with the conventional HVLP for both or can I use an airbrush on smaller things?

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,475Administrator El Jefe
    LOL...well that's a new one on me...so you actually tried to activate film using an air-brush?...There are some things that just don't need re-inventing my friend...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You can paint w/ an airbrush. We do small parts. We've even done a whole rifle stock trying to conserve a certain color of paint we were using as the base.

Activator? No.
  • RavenbonesRavenbones Posts: 34Member
    are you using One Hit Wonder paints ? why did the surface seem really bumpy afterward compared to a regular spray gun. I was trying to base a vaping mod box in OHW black
    Running a solvent based paint through an air-brush isn't the best thing for the air-brush...just to mention it...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Never heard that @K2Concepts! HOK makes very nice (from what I've heard) solvent based airbrush paints.

My guess is your airbrush pressure or paint viscosity isn't correct, or you put on a dry coat, or your substrate wasn't perfectly smooth. Ultimately it's most likely like when some one gets orange peel using a regular gun.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,184Member ✭✭✭✭
    This thread should continue to get interesting !
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll need to cut it 10-15% with urethane reducer, lacquer thinner, or acetone, and use wet coats - get the psi up to about 30
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay with the HVLP. Air brush for touch up.
    @MidOhioHydrographics Yea I guess I should have clarified that...Like Jason said, you need to add some kind of reducer...which I think is why he said it is getting clumpy...
    And since OHW is made to stick to damn near anything? The last thing I would be putting in my airbrush is OHW...nothing to do with the quality...it just is really hard to clean the air brush afterwards...ask me how I know?...
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoc Airbrush paint is thick. I am usually at 1 part paint 3 parts reducer. Owh and just a spalsh of recucer. Air pressure is still under 20 for me.
  • RavenbonesRavenbones Posts: 34Member
    thank you for the help.. yes K2, OHW sucks to clean out of an airbrush... damn. Man.. I am so glad that this forum exists... you people are absolutely awesome... its nice to know that you may crack jokes about my stupid mistakes but you still try to help a novice like me... thank you all so much. You say thin out the OHW ? its like water now... when you get it out of the can its just really thin compared to other paints I have tried... sticks though... too well in my brush...lol whoops ....
  • NightinGaleNightinGale Posts: 32Member

thank you for the help.. , I am so glad that this forum exists... you people are absolutely awesome... its nice to know that you may crack jokes about my stupid mistakes but you still try to help a novice like me... thank you all so much.

..Couldn't have made a finer statement. First forum I've been on that newbies get real advice from pros that want to see us succeed. The only bashing is truly worded jokes applied in the right context. Duh,
  • NightinGaleNightinGale Posts: 32Member

..Couldn't have made a finer statement. First forum I've been on that newbies get real advice from pros that want to see us succeed. The only bashing is truly worded jokes applied in the right context. Duh,
    Lost the rest of my post. Duh, head slap. I question the pros helping us newbies though. Why? This forum is ripe with pros that want to see newbies succeed. I don't really understand that. That's a bit unusual. Unlike many "simple but complicated "processes similar to these, the pros here freely give out tips ,tricks and help to what some would be their future competition. It is the fact that no matter how well the process works out that there remains a "black magic" difficulty in achieving consistent work that you really don't worry about giving out "the secrets" . Or did K2 brainwash us somehow on sign-up that we would all run this forum in the most helpful way or not play.

I've got to be on 20-30 different forums. I wish they could all model after this!
    Pleasure to be here,
    Mike. NightinGale Design.
    Thanks Mike...that really made my day!...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited August 2017

..Couldn't have made a finer statement. First forum I've been on that newbies get real advice from pros that want to see us succeed. The only bashing is truly worded jokes applied in the right context. I question the pros helping us newbies though. Why? This forum is ripe with pros that want to see newbies succeed. I don't really understand that. That's a bit unusual. Unlike many "simple but complicated "processes similar to these, the pros here freely give out tips ,tricks and help to what some would be their future competition. It is the fact that no matter how well the process works out that there remains a "black magic" difficulty in achieving consistent work that you really don't worry about giving out "the secrets" . Or did K2 brainwash us somehow on sign-up that we would all run this forum in the most helpful way or not play.

I've got to be on 20-30 different forums. I wish they could all model after this!
    Pleasure to be here,
    Mike. NightinGale Design.

Its a little of all of that actually. I can speak for myself and possibly a few others as an example. First of @MidOhioHydrographics has a unique situation, he has a client that will exclusively work with him and his company, so NO ONE is competition for him. I was trained by Jim at the request of my last job (a large custom paint facility, where I did engineering) I lost that job, but not the tons of information I had from all the processes I worked on. If I don't give the info away... it just goes to waste. @NotSoFast has been trained, but his shops main focus is in another area. @onehitwonder and @studebaker are suppliers, but due to Jim's vetting process, they are here BECAUSE they are the exception to the rule. And the point about Jim brainwashing us?... a little bit... He leads by example, would give you the shirt off his back. Right there are some of the biggest contributors to this forum. And I am constantly amazed by the number of you that follow with that example. It really makes you smile when you see guys with less than 1000 posts helping someone out. Trust me, it doesn't go unnoticed.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep - good group here. If you're honest and generous, you should have a great experience in dipping!
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 724Member ✭✭✭
    I'll second and third that, all the guys mentioned above, are class acts, speaking personally, I've been trained by Jim @K2Concepts two different times, his approach is first class, both of his boys are great kids and will always help you out, as Trevor said
    @WileECoyote Jim would give you the shirt off his back Aside from all the one liners and kidding around, you couldn't ask to know a better bunch of guys. Joe @MidOhioHydrographics will share and answer any question you may have , and is always there if you need advise, he's a real class act. Trevor @WileECoyote is so knowledgeable in the painting industry as well as Jason @onehitwonder that if you have a problem all you need to do is text or call and their there for you. Many others on here have been so helpful to so many, you can't say enough about the brotherhood on this forum. Jim @K2Concepts has put together quite the family here, I'm happy to be part of it.