Bulk Buying — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bulk Buying

sengland1988sengland1988 Posts: 46Member
Does anyone have any advice or lists of sites that they are will to share, for bulk buying of supplies. not limited to film or paint but to everything used during process. cleaning agents, thinners, acetone, really anything that is beneficial to buy in bulk.

Thanks,
The cheapskate Noobie

Comments

• SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,344Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think this would depend on how much you were doing........

If you buy bulk cleaning agents such as acetone, thinners, ect.... store them wisely ! They are explosive !!!!!!

I have a fairly big shop , but my drum of acetone will be about 200 yards from the shop. I only keep a gallon or so around me.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,255Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited October 2016
    I deal in bulk quite a bit.

Bulk Paint: Prime Coatings (aqualac), NanoChem
    Bulk Clear: Prime Coatings & NanoChem

Stir sticks, mixing cups, sleeves, respirator cartridges, sharpies, PPS Cups, etc.: Amazon

Gloves: http://www.discountedlatexgloves.com/product/N400
    Cheap 2" Tape: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2-masking-tape-roll-60-yards/562CP10548.html
    Cheap 3/4" Tape: Dollar store or http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3-4-masking-tape-roll-12-pack/561MT75.html

Film: Liquid Image from Alibaba, or Kansas Hydro & PA Hydro have great price breaks also.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,255Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    And yes, flammable cabinets. They're not cheap, but required when you're over a certain amount of flammables.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,137Administrator El Jefe
    Yea that's next...one thing at a time...
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that building relationships with suppliers has served me well. Go direct if you can. And if not get a hold of that products rep and he or she will fill you in on who in your area will give you the best service and price.
  • sengland1988sengland1988 Posts: 46Member
    @MidOhioHydrographics. PrimeCoating and NanoChem, do they have web sites to order from or is it best to call? And do they have min order amounts?

Thanks,
    edited October 2016
    @sengland1988 You will need to call them. I'm not sure of minimum orders, but I normally order drums, or 30-40 gallons in 5-gallon pails. I have ordered a single gallon of Metallic Silver or Blaze Orange along with my bulk orders and they were able to accommodate.

http://www.primecoatings.net/

http://www.apioregon.com/

I deal with Marc Devaud (On Pace Finishing Solutions) who is a distributor for API. ([email protected]) He has been a great help.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,969Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sengland1988 Aren't all Hydrographic vendors, bulk distributors? For instance, if an interested group were to collectively buy a 55-gallon drum of activator, wouldn't someone, somewhere, have to store it, Keep it safe and explosion free, in an expensive building with daily overhead costs, then divide it into smaller containers and ship it to "members"? What would their compensation be? Approximately what regular vendor are charging, now?

Find a vendor you trust, with prices you can afford and call him/her your "Club Headquarters" if you are trying to rationalize bulk buying. Really.... There's not much so much profit being made by our hydrographic vendors that a purchasing club would save you any appreciable amount of money. Especially in the small quantities that you require. Are you willing to stock a 250-meter roll of a slow selling pattern and sell it, at cost, to whomever asks you to ship them some?

@sengland1988 Aren't all Hydrographic vendors, bulk distributors? For instance, if an interested group were to collectively buy a 55-gallon drum of activator, wouldn't someone, somewhere, have to store it, Keep it safe and explosion free, in an expensive building with daily overhead costs, then divide it into smaller containers and ship it to "members"? What would their compensation be? Approximately what regular vendor are charging, now?

Find a vendor you trust, with prices you can afford and call him/her your "Club Headquarters" if you are trying to rationalize bulk buying. Really.... There's not much so much profit being made by our hydrographic vendors that a purchasing club would save you any appreciable amount of money. Especially in the small quantities that you require. Are you willing to stock a 250-meter roll of a slow selling pattern and sell it, at cost, to whomever asks you to ship them some?

Quote of the year right there...thank you Allen!...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,226Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    And if your smallest quantity is 8 ounces, someone is going to ask if they can get it in 2 ounces... 

And if your smallest quantity is 8 ounces, someone is going to ask if they can get it in 2 ounces... 

THIS happens a LOT!!!...