Using Helmsman on wood stocks — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Helmsman on wood stocks

norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 849Member ✭✭✭
I have a couple of wood stocks to do. Taking advise from members here, I got some Helmsman. I degreased, scuffed, used wax and grease remover and now putting two coats of Helmsman on. Plan on letting them sit for 24 houts, then will scuff and shoot base.

Planning on using OHW for base. Guy a t the local paint store said to be carefull with solvent base over Helmsman as it might buckle up. Have any of you guys had this problem? I always spray light coats, and just enough to cover with OHW, but just wanted some advise from you guys out there. Thanks all...

Comments

• norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 849Member ✭✭✭
    Oh forgot one other thing. How are you guys scuffing the checkering without flattening it? I was think 000 or 0000 steel wool???
  • chuubabachuubaba Posts: 110Member ✭✭
    @norcalfrank please share your experience regarding safely scuffing the checkering
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited July 2017
    @chuubaba There is not alot of ways to repair checkering without taking the tops off of the nibs. In the pic you showed in another post there is NO way to save that checkering if it is adhered well (sandpaper doesn't know the difference between clear and wood) but you might be able to chemically strip the old clear if it's stuck well (being cautious to not warp the wood with the stripper) and if it isn't stuck too well, carefully scratch it off with a razor blade or exacto knife.
    Post edited by WileECoyote on
    @WileECoyote I will have to go for chemical method. Need more research on choosing the appropriate chemical. The gun owner has informed me that he did lot of clearcoat on the stock in the past so the task is to chemically remove the clear from checkering.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @chuubaba and now you are in the business of "refinishing and repair" of gun stocks... not dipping. You are always going to have some of this in this line of work, but honestly I would have told him to bring it back stripped.
    @WileECoyote yes I can tell him to get it stripped from a professional but i am worried about the very much likely event of something going wrong with the dip and the need to strip it down again and again and again (although my wooden speedshapes came out very good to impress this person to get me dipping this stock). Can frustrate the owner. BTW how to tell if a particular portion of wood is already sealed and needs no interference?
    Look at it in the light. If the grain is prominent, it likely is not sealed, or at least very thin.

I guess my advice here is... look at what you stand to make for this job. You are probably charging less that $100 USD for this job, and possibly spending DAYS on this project...
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    @chuubaba Also, if you are unsure of your process and how long it will take you can abate some of the frustration by telling your customer that your lead time is going to be 2 to 3 weeks. Give yourself plenty of time to start over if that's necessary.