intercoat clear over cerakote

Has anyone tried intercoat clear over cerakote? and if so how well would it work?

Comments

• airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    it wont work! nothing will stick to cured cerakote without eventually delaminating
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You may be able to blast lightly (that's what I've done to powder coat) or scuff well?
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,381Member ✭✭✭✭

it wont work! nothing will stick to cured cerakote without eventually delaminating

This !!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I still would think a mechanical bond is possible w/ blasting at the right settings. I know cerakote can be blasted off. So even if it's difficult, at some point the aluminum oxide would be etching it without actually removing it.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    I don't think they teach that in the Cerakote class...
    @MidOhioHydrographics , I tried it with BB's glamor gloss one time and it just ran right off. If someone gets it to work I would like to know how.
    Sreynolds said:

@MidOhioHydrographics , I tried it with BB's glamor gloss one time and it just ran right off. If someone gets it to work I would like to know how.

Well THAT is odd. I might have to play around w it once I start spraying it.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I just don't get this... Millions of dollars to create a coating that does not corrode and nothing will stick to it... And we gotta figure out a way to make something stick to it...

I just don't get this... Millions of dollars to create a coating that does not corrode and nothing will stick to it... And we gotta figure out a way to make something stick to it...

Lmao!!! True story.
    Yep @WileECoyote , Im sure something, someday , that somebody does or finds will work......... maybe!

For now I will let the cerakote process be the cerakote process and stick with what I know works ! lol
    I have called and spoke with their techs on many occasions, if it aint right by their book they don't wanna talk about it.
    I needed a alternative for their hardener in a pinch one time....... same story........ there aint one !
  • desrochers10desrochers10 Posts: 23Member
    hmm well that's not what I was expecting. ah well regular dipping it is, thanks a lot for the info guys!
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried OHW intercoat? It sticks to pretty much anything that's scuffed
  • desrochers10desrochers10 Posts: 23Member
    My usual supplier doesn't stock ohw intercoat and I'm from Canada so to get it might be expensive to cross the border, if anyone one has tried with good results could they let me know?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Try HOK (House Of Kolor) clear binder...very good and you should be able to get it up there...
  • nhateme08nhateme08 Posts: 34Member
    Cerakote has a clear right? Have you tried that? I can dip over Cerakote actually using the air-cure version.