Gun stock primer adhesion.

Having issues getting my 2k epoxy primer to adhere to this gunstock. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Paint i use is aqualac can I just shoot directly to stock. Or should i get a can of self etching primer and shoot first?  Or maybe im missing something. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What prep was done to the stock before? Do you know what material the stock is?

We have started sand blasting, hitting them w/ Adhesion Promoter, then Aqualac. No problems w/ that process. Or skip the AP and use Kansas Hydro DTP, OHW 2.0, or Low Country.
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    I flame treat any that look like they might be HDPE and use OHW. Have not had any issues. The flame treatment may not be necessary but it doesn't hurt anything either that I've found.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    Need to bead blast those to get a profile so the material has something to grab on to...
  • TrayersSlayersTrayersSlayers Posts: 231Member ✭✭✭
    It's a carbon stock. Bought glass beed cabinet today. Put together, and going to blast it tomorrow. Also going to paint shop for some adhesion promoter. Thank you @K2Concepts and @MidOhioHydrographics
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Use good quality Aluminum Oxide. It will etch the surface better than beads, which I have heard can sometimes just "dimple" it.

It's a carbon stock. Bought glass beed cabinet today. Put together, and going to blast it tomorrow. Also going to paint shop for some adhesion promoter. Thank you @K2Concepts and @MidOhioHydrographics

Sounds strangely like a HF cabinet...

Oh the horrors we visit upon ourselves when we buy Harbor Freight...
    edited August 2016
    @K2Concepts yeah harborfreight cabinet. But its the only thing in my setup that is from there. All my paint guns are devilbiss. And my air brushes are iwata. I normally don't like to cheap. 
    Also went around every seam on it and sealed every single one. 
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,350Member ✭✭✭✭
    That HF blast cabinet is a nightmare !! I had one ...... be on the lookout for a replacement !! I blast almost everyday and that little cabinet just don't do the trick. @TrayersSlayers
    Yeah i blast almost never. 99% of what i do is taxidermy. So if i ever branch out then i will most definitely upgrade. Hey guys just for a good laugh im rocking the 10 gallon shop vac dust collector. 

Shot the gun stock with some bulldog AP after I blasted it and the AP is holding on like a tick on my hound dog! Thanks guys!

Who knows maybe someday I'll start doing non hunting related dipping. And need to upgrade to a bigger shop. Hell I always said I would never do a yeti cup and I did one the other day. Still don't see the driving factor in that craz.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,350Member ✭✭✭✭
    get some better hose clamps than what came with it to go inside the cabinet, thank me later.

what did u seal it with?
    edited August 2016
    Manis bond. We use it for sealing cabs of locomotives. @Sreynolds

Manis bond. We use it for sealing cabs of locomotives. @Sreynolds

Sure hope it's non-silicone based :-D
    No its not
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,014Member ✭✭✭

Having issues getting my 2k epoxy primer to adhere to this gunstock. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Paint i use is aqualac can I just shoot directly to stock. Or should i get a can of self etching primer and shoot first?  Or maybe im missing something. Thank you in advance.

I've shot this primer before on automotive parts. I've also hqad it release, even theugh the prep was right.

Shot the gun stock with some bulldog AP after I blasted it and the AP is holding on like a tick on my hound dog!

Uhmm...Bulldog does not like the activators we use in this process...you may be getting that gun back in a couple of months or so because the Bulldog let loose...
    @K2Concepts thanks I didn't like the color of the auqulac so i told the guy i had to order new paint anyway. So stripped everything off and ordered lowcountry. Ill shoot it straight just like @MidOhioHydrographics mentioned.
  • Dcerasoli123Dcerasoli123 Posts: 46Member
    archer0545 what does HDPE mean?greenhorne on deck just trying to learn as much as i can!!!
    @Dcerasoli123 If you use the "@" symbol before the forum members name? They will be notified that they were mentioned in a thread and they will usually answer more quickly...

But to answer your question? HDPE stands for High-Density Polyethylene...anytime you see "PE" in a plastics name? You will want to flame treat..."PP" stands for polypropylene...which does NOT usually need flame treatment if you are using one of the better paint/primer paints advertised here like Low Country or DTP or OHW...

Personally we flame treat both PE and PP just to be safe...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    HDPE- High density Polyethelene
    LDPE-Low density Polyethelene
    PE-Polyethelene
    UHMW- Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethelene