K2 Forums Top 3 Reasons You Fail Plan Check — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

K2 Forums Top 3 Reasons You Fail Plan Check

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,946Administrator El Jefe

Comments

• TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done JIm.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,081Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Tsunami glad to see you back on the horse! :smiley: Hope all is well out there!
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tsunami glad to see you back on the horse! :smiley: Hope all is well out there!

Thanks Joe, This horse has never been ridden before. But I will give it my best.
  • gvhydrodipgvhydrodip Posts: 10Member
    Wow....great info...thanks so much k2forums, I've learned a lot just from this forum...much appreciated. ..and changing my soon to b small business name...lol
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,022Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Been through alot of permitting applications, and audits with the DNR, FDA, and OSHA. Answer EVERY question, but GIVE NO extra information. (As Jim said "know when to shut up), be EXTREMELY confident in your answers (know your process, but don't be abrasive) and stay on their good side. They will work with you, if you default to their knowledge first, then correct the misconceptions nicely. Inspectors LOVE to hear themselves talk, let them, they will want to move on if they feel relaxed. 

Great info Jim, would have never thought to get this info out there.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,081Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Been through alot of permitting applications, and audits with the DNR, FDA, and OSHA. Answer EVERY question, but GIVE NO extra information. (As Jim said "know when to shut up), be EXTREMELY confident in your answers (know your process, but don't be abrasive) and stay on their good side. They will work with you, if you default to their knowledge first, then correct the misconceptions nicely. Inspectors LOVE to hear themselves talk, let them, they will want to move on if they feel relaxed. 

Great info Jim, would have never thought to get this info out there.

Well said.
  • bryanateliteworksbryanateliteworks Posts: 15Member
    The city came to my shop a month before i even had a tank in my garage,but i had my set up with rinse table etc. i was cool but he saw that i had loads of paint materials spray guns and more. He riddled me with questions, but because i knew him a little, lol, only required me to get a spray booth. But he basically told me i "could have more fines". He had no clue what hydro printing was. I just told him that water is the only thing going in the tank. All in all he was cool and let me be. Told him if he ever needs brake work oil change or whatever I'd hook him up..lol
  • HCARiflesHCARifles Posts: 36Member
    Great video. I'm moving my business to Lewiston Idaho and have a meeting with the city next Wednesday! The biggest thing they'll want to hear about is water disposal... 
    At what point is a paint booth a lawful requirement? I've got a lead on one but my main business is building rifles, and I spray/paint/hydrodip very rarely (2-3 days a month maybe). I framed up a little booth in my old shop, and just used a few box fans and furnace filters to intake and exhaust air while using a good respirator at the same time. Worked fine for how often I used it.

Mike
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,161Member, Moderator El Moderator
    HCARifles said:

At what point is a paint booth a lawful requirement? I've got a lead on one but my main business is building rifles, and I spray/paint/hydrodip very rarely (2-3 days a month maybe). I framed up a little booth in my old shop, and just used a few box fans and furnace filters to intake and exhaust air while using a good respirator at the same time. Worked fine for how often I used it.

Mike

When I built firetrucks, they couldn't even do a touch up on a scratch on a cab door without the truck being in the paint booth.
    Yeah I think if you're spraying flammable materials? It's required.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,946Administrator El Jefe
    Check with your local ordinance...I have heard all kinds of replies but it all comes down to the municipality that your business is located in...
    @NotSoFast @MidOhioHydrographics @K2Concepts
    Thanks guys that basically confirms that I'll need to dig into it further and likely not be able to go around them. I like my little homemade booth and it is really essential for keeping fumes from the rest of the shop. I'd like to do another home built cheap one but I need to go by the book on this one considering I'm renting from the city of Lewiston themselves and not a privately owned shop.

Mike
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,022Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If there is ever a chance its going to be inspected... it needs to be a professional booth. And those are NEVER cheap. But you may be able to get away with a "table top" if you can convince them you don't do anything large, or you may be able to assure them that your "homemade" booth is simply for air movement is you use nothing but waterbased paints...

If there is ever a chance its going to be inspected... it needs to be a professional booth. And those are NEVER cheap. But you may be able to get away with a "table top" if you can convince them you don't do anything large, or you may be able to assure them that your "homemade" booth is simply for air movement is you use nothing but waterbased paints...

I have a lead on a profession booth (used) for $1200.... Guy claims it was $4500 new. It's an open booth with overhead exhaust fan but I think is 10-12' wide and 4' deep, maybe 7 ft tall.... @WileECoyote

Mike
    That's a big booth, and probably cost that or more new. But if its modular you may be able to break it down to a manageable size. But you will have to modify the speed on the fan for sure. And count on it sucking all the heat out of your shop in winter, and the dust off your floor...