glitter — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

glitter

GCIGCI Posts: 1,317Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
Have a customer that wants a glitter effect on her 380 and I don't think a metallic color will make her happy. Was wanting to know if you could cerakote and be for it cures sprinkle glitter on the still wet material and the clear over that.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,672Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You can, but you are going to have problems. That method was talked about in a post about cups recently. There are some paints out there that will make it look like a "unicorn threw up on it", but they are special order. Ask your paint supplier about "bassboat" metallic, and see what the upcharge will be that you have to pass along...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,672Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 846Member ✭✭✭
    I get micro flake that is from a place on Ebay. The stuff I have been getting is holographic, but I believe they have other and larger flake if you want. paintwithpearls is one of the places I get it from.
  • GCIGCI Posts: 1,317Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the help
  • savsav Posts: 26Member
    I read somewhere that if you were to paint it and then use glitter, you could do a few coats with wet-sanding in between. cerakote is a whole nother can o worms
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    sav said:

I read somewhere that if you were to paint it and then use glitter, you could do a few coats with wet-sanding in between. cerakote is a whole nother can o worms

The size of actual "glitter" would be enormous. I can't imagine the number of coats and the amount of wet sanding needed to smooth that. (I'm in the middle of denibbing a polishing an entire sport bike, so such things are fresh in my mind) :cry:
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,719Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you sand through the edge of a piece of glitter you will see an ugly black mark that will never go away. You couldn't possibly bury that in enough clear to be able to wet sand glitter flat.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,184Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, what @sav said about the cerakote and worms!!

I wouldn't attempt that.....
  • PREGraphicsPREGraphics Posts: 66Member ✭✭
    Simply put the method you are asking about is a NO. Best effect you are gonna get for cerakote is a high temp pearl or micro flake. Paint with pearl, didspade, are a couple of the ones I use. It will come in a powder form and you will have to mix it to your needs. The problem you are gonna have with cerakote is the tip size of your gun. Cerakote is best applied with a .08 tip you will need to use a 1.3 and up tip to spray most of the pearl and micro flake. You could mix it in with clear and spray it also but you are just gonna have to experiment for the desired look. You can take crushed silver cerakote and back off about 8 inches with the fluid adjustment almost closed and air pressure up and very, very lightly mist it but that is not recommended by me if you are at the novice level because it takes a very very light touch to get the right effect.