Opening a Hydrographics Business Step by Step

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,259Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Well here is the downside to the "send us your drawings"...sometimes, unless the equipment is all in place, you will need to make adjustments to the design...trust me on this one, you will be making adjustments...so the win goes to copper if you can run down to Home Depot or Menards and make an adjustment on the fly...I still gotta go with copper because of that fact alone...the last thing I want to be doing is waiting around for a fitting or two to fly in while every minute I am down is costing me exponential amounts of money because we are offline...

I thought about that. They make adapters to go to NPT, so I can adapt to copper. That was my plan. Put the main system in w/ drops/Tees every so often, adapted to 1" or 3/4" copper from there.

By the way, if the black pipe system wasn't already installed? I would have gone copper. The trash/rust/dirt in the lines is enough of a pain to justify it to me. I'm just no good at soldering. I could get good, and add another skill set.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    @MidOhioHydrographics When I come out next time I will teach you how to solder...it's a piece of cake...
  • Crusader_CoatingsCrusader_Coatings Posts: 266Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I had a cart full of 1/2 copper lines, tees, valves...the whole nine yards. Then I got to thinking about 3/4. So I texted Jim. Long story short I emptied the cart and did it all over again but with 3/4. A good friend is a pipefitter. He is coming to install it all. 
    Got quote back from sprayzone today. Ordering 2 14x10x8 booths tomorrow. Only thing left is a camair setup. Supposed to be getting a price on that here soon. Baby steps but it's all coming together.
    on a side note my business partner John  was at the shop today waiting for locksmith to show up. My brother in law was coming by to drop off a scissor lift so John went to leave a key in an awning and found a key box in the awning with a spare key inside. Oddly enough the guy we purchased the building from stopped by about 10 minutes later. Makes me wonder if he has been sneaking in at night...... locksmith got all the locks re-keyed this afternoon
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,259Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

@MidOhioHydrographics When I come out next time I will teach you how to solder...it's a piece of cake...

Oh I have done it. I live in an old farmhouse and had copper plumbing throughout. Had to learn to keep up on repairs! LOL I just don't like to do it. Unless it's different for airlines?
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics , it's easy... it's all about the prep, and proper fluxing, the soldering is the easy part...

@MidOhioHydrographics , it's easy... it's all about the prep, and proper fluxing, the soldering is the easy part...

Yepp...prep and flux...LOTS of flux...and yes it's a little different for airlines...with water lines, you are always fighting the water evaporating and causing steam and leaks...it's a real PITA...airlines are much easier to work with...
    edited November 2016
    OK forgot to mention...WE GOT APPROVAL FROM THE CITY!!! Finally through plan check...10 weeks there...still waiting on SCAQMD but we are on the downhill stretch...Picked up my forklift and shear from the old shop last Saturday so we are officially out of the desert...nothing left for me there now...

Progress on the booth...

Also picked up some extra belts for the fans...changing them out before we remount them...belts are kinda like tires on a RV...you gotta change them out even if they look good...just the way it is...

Post edited by K2Concepts on
    OK here is a quick tip...first @Crusader_Coatings Here is the 3/4" up to the filter drier...upstream, out of the picture, is a ball valve and disconnect so we can pull the whole drier off the wall if we have to...you will notice we also installed a drip leg or sediment trap where the 3/4" reduces to 1/2"...should help with any water that gets through...

Now for the tip...listen up kids...those CT30 driers are pretty dang heavy so you need something like 1/2" Unistrut or even 1 5/8" to support them...the problem is that you have to hold the bolts to tighten them down and that's tough to do when you have to mount the strut to the wall first...or you could mount the whole thing to the strut first and then wrestle it to the wall...never fear, K2 is here...

Grab some 1/2" x 2" carriage bolts and take a grinder to the end...just enough so they fit through the strut...

Now the inner edge of the carriage bolt will stop the bolt from turning while you attach the drier...

And now you can hang the strut with ease...then attach the drier...

Great idea ^ I'll keep that in mind when we install 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @K2Concepts another little trick that you did but didn't point out is the electrical tape around the copper when mounting to a dissimilar metal. Want to tell all the nice folks what that is all about...?
    Galvanic corrosion...Galvanic corrosion (some times called dissimilar metal corrosion) is the process by which the materials in contact with each other oxidizes or corrodes...and since copper and galvanized steel are dissimilar? Guess what happens?...
    Got the paint booths ordered today. Homero at sprayzone is a great guy to deal with. Should ship tomorrow. 
    Started hanging the filter banks...and set the jambs and the header for the doors...hope to hang those today (Friday)...

Ran the airlines to the CT30 and then into the booth...new lines look sweet...in case anyone is wondering why is there 2 airlines? The one at the front of the booth is for the gun and the one at the rear is for the supplied air respirators we have...keeps things from getting tangled up...

Lastly changed out the belts on the motors and set the tension...Fire Sprinkler guy is stopping by today and should get a schedule of when he can get in here...

edited November 2016
    OK got the doors hung and cut in a line for the interlock the fire inspector wants. Was talking to @WileECoyote and he mentioned that some guys want the fan, lights and the air supply to the gun to all cut off when the interlock is opened up (someone opens the door)...which for me would require a hell of a lot of control work sooo...I am just going to break the Mag Starter and the fan will shut down...if they want anything else then I will cross that bridge when I get to it...

More detailed look at my air drier...

Mounted the Mag Starter inside the booth so now the fan will not pull anything into our booth when we start up the fan for clear or paint...Wired up the Mag Starter and ran all the conduit to the disconnect and then pass through to the Mag Starter and then out to the motor...

IN the meantime I finished using the forklift to move sheet metal equipment around my house so now it is time to bring the forklift to the shop so that's on the list for Monday or Tuesday...Fire sprinkler guy is stopping by Monday to move at least one of the heads out of the way so we can punch through to the roof with our sheet metal...I can pull the 3 phase wire over to the disconnect and then out to the motor...mount the motor also...start working on the lights for the booth...set the final roof panel of the booth after the fire sprinkler guys is done...set the lights, caulk in the booth and then "Booth Coat" the whole thing...

Man my head hurts and I am stressed out to the MAX...8 weeks without a billing cycle is killing me right now...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Actually Jim, i think you misunderstood me. They want the air pressure to the guns to shut off if the exhaust is not running. So that you can't spray and make a flammable fog without it being removed. Usually we use the aux contact on the MSR for the fan. Some inspectors want it to fun off an air flow switch in the exhaust line (belts can break, or jump, si the contacted being pulled in doesn't mean that the exaust is on). But those flow switches in the exhaust line tend to get loaded with paint and fail for no reason.
    Yea he just mentioned he wanted an interlock switch and through the conversation it seemed he just wanted the fan to kick off...we shall see...in the meantime, set the fan motor...good thing I have a CO2 lift to man handle that beast up there...otherwise? Would be tough...

Wired in a dedicated light switch for the booth...

Sprinkler guys stopped by today and started adding heads and creating a "dedicated loop for each booth"...Yea if you guys did not plan for this? It is a new thing coming...better factor in $2500 per booth plus plan check fees...

edited November 2016
    So factor in $2800 for sprinklers...woefully over the budget...my bad...

So right now 9 weeks without billing and $13,000 out of pocket...killing me...
  • 2Kreate2Kreate Posts: 283Member ✭✭✭
    So factor in $2800 for sprinklers...woefully over the budget...my bad... So right now 9 weeks without billing and $13,000 out of pocket...killing me...
    Yeah that's got to be tuff! going to be well worth it all in the end though! nice work so far!  looking very good man.  love following this thread. 
    OK got the forklift moved to the shop...stopped off and paid the permits so we can get inspection. Started taping off the booth so we can caulk it and then spray the booth coat...and I HIGHLY recommend a pneumatic caulking gun...they are only $25 on Amazon so there is no reason not to buy one...you are going to need it...trust me on this one...

Started building the sheet metal transitions Sunday...hope to punch through the roof by the end of the day today (Monday)...

• 2Kreate2Kreate Posts: 283Member ✭✭✭
    Looking great! 
    Gotta hate All those unexpected expenses....
    You have to be close Jim. Everything looks to be coming together nicely 
    OK finished up the plenums with the help of all my old sheet metal equipment...

Punched through the roof so we can officially bring the booth online...

So now I can spray the booth in "booth coat" and start clearing after that...I still need to build the elbow on the roof and seal the opening with flashing and roofing but at least I can start production so we can get some billing...it's been a tough 6 1/2 weeks of moving not counting the 3 weeks of construction before the move took place...I still have the second booth to put up but I can take some stress off myself now...whew...just waiting on the SCAQMD for my approval permit so the city can come inspect and sign off...so not out of the woods YET...but I can finally see daylight...
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    @K2Concepts very nice work Jim, doesn't look like you lost your sheet metal skill one bit, awesome...
    @Libertyman Yea some things you just don't forget...kinda glad I held on to the equipment now...shame it's all rusty but I can start cleaning them up...give me something to do in the off season...lol...
    edited November 2016
    Meanwhile, we got our production side started...

Brought in some booth coat and started spraying that...

Picked up some more sheet metal and started fabbing up the elbow for the roof...

What's the booth coat all about?
    edited November 2016

What's the booth coat all about?

@Crusader_Coatings Oh man, Terry! You're killin' me, Smalls! Search bar :lol:

http://k2forums.com/discussion/3027
    @MidOhioHydrographics I'm about to utilize that thing! Sorry Joe, didn't mean to disappoint you. Forgot where I was for a minute.
    paint booths came in today. Now just gotta find time to assemble them 
    There's a whole lot of 1/4" 20's in them packages...do yourself a favor and go buy a Milwaukee 12v 3/8" rachet...2 in fact...save you a heck of a lot of grief...