Opening a Hydrographics Business Step by Step - Page 2 — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opening a Hydrographics Business Step by Step

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,571Administrator El Jefe
    We thought about buying but we do not have the capital down for right now...especially in our area...the buildings are going through the roof so it makes sense to stand pat for the next couple of years...between the gas and time we are going to save? It's a lateral move for us...we will invest in some more equipment, tighten up our production numbers and efficiency and then make the move...it's in the works but the timing has to be right...
    Oh yea...and going to the city today to turn in our business license application...
  • LiquidDreamsLiquidDreams Posts: 250Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    At least you don't have to pay movers! Let me know when you get the thumbs up and Ill grab the trailer and be out there... But you buy the beer for after!
    Yes yes...OK going to the city with THREE copies of the final drawings and submittals. Just so you guys know? You will need to have the occupancy classification, which building codes this type of tenant improvement falls under, the scope of work, daily use and production, maximum occupancy, sprinkler size, any fire codes that may apply, where your fire extinguishers need to be placed, and a "KNOX BOX" key...

• SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,186Member ✭✭✭✭
    Never seen your old shop............... But I like this layout !!!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,817Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I'm not going to complain about space anymore! I can't believe you run that type of quantity through that small of an area!

I'm not going to complain about space anymore! I can't believe you run that type of quantity through that small of an area!

What is the size/square footage , am I missing something on the prints??

Yes we are pretty efficient...the old shop was only 1177 square feet...the new one will be 1500...woo hoo...lol...
    Sreynolds said:

What is the size/square footage , am I missing something on the prints??

And there u have it ............. I didn't read the instructions again!!!!!!! LOL =)
  • LiquiDipLiquiDip Posts: 90Member ✭✭
    @PTC_HydroGraphX i am outside of St. Louis Missouri. about an hour north west
    edited August 2016
    OK finished up the paperwork for the South Coast Air Quality Management District...not impossible but lengthy...surprisingly short for what they have a reputation for...enclose a $1300 check and the MSDS for the clear we use...actually, any old MSDS for any VOC compliant clear is probably fine...

So far expenses to date:
    $1550.00 Deposit for new lease
    $141.00 For city license
    $118.00 Plan check fees
    $1242.00 SCAQMD application for permit fees

$3051.00 out of pocket so far...
    Not to mention the 4 or 5 days I have had to take off between securing the lease, going back and forth to the city and the filling out of paperwork...dang...
  • Crusader_CoatingsCrusader_Coatings Posts: 265Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Just got out of my city zoning meeting for a special use permit. Permit was approved, $50 for the life of the business
    $2500 to rent until closing then that will be applied towards purchasing cost. Will start moving equipment over by September 1st. Needs a few little things like air lines ran and equipment hooked up. Talked to Jim early last week, going to keep a running tab on our move as well. Costs will vary from coast to coast. I'm in Midwestern Illinois, quad cities area. Kinda give the guys closer to this area an idea of what it would cost. Building is 4,000 square with 1200 retail/break room space. 
    Man those are some sweet digs my ninja...
    Pack up the family and move on out here. There will be enough space for you. Of course you would have to leave sunny California for blistering hot in the summer and Antarctic winter Illinois. Take your time making a decision lol
    Hmmm...gotta pass brother...thank you for the offer...lol...
    Good call....
    OK it's officially a waiting game...thought I would have heard from SOMEBODY by now...September 1st is right around the corner...
  • Spook101Spook101 Posts: 106Member ✭✭
    You are a great source of information and a lot of problems can be solved with the videos and posts on here, but I have to say this may be one of the best, especially for those beginning or contemplating it. As always, thanks.

This seriously hurts. I couldn't imagine having to absorb this. Have you given thought to any layout improvements yet? Anything you have wanted to change but couldn't due to the former building constraints?

@WileECoyote Yes we are going to change some things but keep the overall flow about the same...I am going to run a series of 1/2" Unistrut all around the building interior perimeter so we can mount all the air lines, water lines and electrical lines in a loop...and large enough to add other things later...
    Spook101 said:

You are a great source of information and a lot of problems can be solved with the videos and posts on here, but I have to say this may be one of the best, especially for those beginning or contemplating it. As always, thanks.

Thank you sir!...
    OK got the corrections notice from the City Plan Check company...I remember the good old days when you just walked down to the city and met with the guy who had questions...now it's a endless email question and answer quizz...sigh...
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot tell you how many emails it takes sometimes to get a single question answered here in Vegas but usually it's around 12.
    Trying to get our move done and haven't had any luck. Got some jobs to wrap up before the weekend then drain and unhook the tank and rinse station. Leaving for South Dakota a week from Wednesday for some much needed down time on the river walleye fishing. Be a much better trip if I knew my equipment was moved, connected and ready to go when I get back....
    First major issue. Been running a homemade paint booth. I knew that wasn't going to fly at the new location, what I didn't know is I need 3 phase power for a booth and the building is only single phase. Going to cost between 7-8k just to set 400 amp service panel. Gotta call power company tomorrow and see if 3 phase is even an option, there's a 3 phase pole down the road. If I can get it done for 10k and have 18k total invested I'll go that route. If not looks like I'll have to use converters and take a big hit on power bill.....
  • tMttMt Posts: 6Member
    I can't look :s I secured a building ... haven't even looked at the box. 2 or 3 phase anyone considered the portable booths ? . New shop start up in Cali.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,750Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Crusader_Coatings @tMt Depending on the size of the exhaust fan, you may be able to just get a new motor. Running on 480 is no cheaper than running 120. You pay by the Kw/h That does not take into account the voltage. The only reason to run 3 phase is that the wire and breakers can be smaller amperage (less expensive). Not sure how big of an exhaust you are running, but it would be WAY cheaper to put in a larger 220 motor than switching the service to 480.

The only reason to use a converter is if you absolutely cannot change the motor (typically in a machine that is more complex than a booth). You lose power running through them and that costs you more. Just get a different motor.
    @WileECoyote I had asked the company about changing motors. He said by the time I got new motors put on booths it might be cheaper to have 3 phase service, that's assuming it's a simple connection across the road. I don't believe that's going to be the case. Looking at the long term of things. Am I better off to install the service and recoup that money after 8 years, spend thousands on new single phase motors, or convert it over and spend thousands on power?  Not sure what road to take here.