Opening a Hydrographics Business Step by Step — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opening a Hydrographics Business Step by Step

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,953Administrator El Jefe
edited April 18 in K2 Business Forums
OK guys since we have to move our shop? I am starting a step by step blog for those that would like to know what is going to be involved in the process. I am not calling this "Starting a Hydrographics Business" because we are already up and running...and I believe that most guys will already be up and running before they search for a building and then start the process of permits and licenses...so this is for them. I will also put in a line by line cost so they will be able to see approximately what it it going to cost...kinda see how high you need to stack the cheddar...lol...

First secure a building...check...found a place...quite reasonable for $775 a month, includes water and trash...securing that tomorrow...requires first and last so $1,550.00 there...Building has sprinklers we can tie into for the fire suppression system but I figure 2 per booth at $150 a drop so $600.00...we need a 3 phase panel so we are getting a quote from the building owners on that but I imagine it's going to be around $2,000.00...this kinda hurts because I just put a new 200 amp 3 phase panel in my old shop a couple of years ago...sigh...if you want to play? You have to pay...the building has skylights so we will have to duct over to the skylights for the venting of the booths...I can make most of that ductwork myself...

Stopped by the City of Beaumont and will begin that paperwork...$30.00 filing fee plus Business License Fees...not sure what those are yet...

So here is where it is going to get sticky. Have to comply with the SCAQMD (South Coast Air Quality Management District) before City License can be approved. Called the SCAQMD and they promptly told me that it takes 10 weeks to get approved...during which you are not allowed to spray anything. Which means we have to rent both places until we get approved...so I figure $2000.00 in extra rental fees...that's going to hurt...Oh and the application fee for the SCAQMD is $1,300.00...

So we are around $16,500.00 and we haven't even moved yet...

Here is the breakdown so far:
First and deposit for rental: $1,550.00 PAID
SCAQMD application fee: $1,242.00 PAID
SCAQMD secondary filing fee: $620.71 PAID
SCAQMD third filing fee: $620.71 PAID
SCAQMD fourth filing fee $202.57 PAID
City filing fee: $141.00 PAID
City plan check fee: $118.00 PAID
Electrical conduit and PVC for water: $350.00 PAID
Copper lines, fittings and electrical from Home Depot $5500 PAID
3 Phase Panel $1950.00 PAID
3rd set of plans printed through plan check at $65.00 each (includes shipping) PAID
New mats and curtains $550.00 PAID
Fire Suppression & permit: $2800.00 PAID
Sheet metal for paint booth roof penetrations: $500 PAID
Explosion proof cabinets: $925.00 PAID
New Velidon filters: $350.00 PAID
$17,500.00 roughly out of pocket so far...

Post edited by K2Concepts on

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,407Member ✭✭✭✭
    You got a deal jim try doing it in jersey and the rent alone would triple 
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 712Member ✭✭✭
    Ouch, that hurts. It's getting bad enough around your shop that you need to move?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,953Administrator El Jefe

Ouch, that hurts. It's getting bad enough around your shop that you need to move?

No it's not the homeless...although they are annoying...The city passed the growth and distribution of marijuana BUT it is only a certain area of the city...and that is the area I am in so my landlord had the chance to lease the entire 8500 square foot building (which is empty except for me in my piddly 1177 square foot space) for $16,000 a month...so he jumped on the deal and politely asked me to leave...

So time for me to go...
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,169Member ✭✭✭✭
    I hate this for ya Jim @K2Concepts , I know inconvenience is a understatement. But, I also believe everything happens for a reason and the man upstairs has big plans for ya !!!! Good luck with the move, hope it goes well..

Those of us with our own shops on our own land and don't have to worry so much about the fees and regulations need to realize just how fortunate we are..... At 775$ a month most would never make it, IF they even got started....lol
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,361Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    This seriously hurts. I couldn't imagine having to absorb this. Have you given thought to any layout improvements yet? Anything you have wanted to change but couldn't due to the former building constraints?
    edited August 2016
    OK going to the city today to write the first check...it was $100 for a business that does the volume that we do...so no biggy...total $131.00 so revising that figure right now...

Then off to the desert to copy down the models of my paint booths. There is also a AQMD # attached to the booths so I have to submit that also. Since they are identical? I get a break on the price of submittals...woo hoo...

I have to clarify a lot of things like storage of activator since we bring it in in 55 gallon drums. OSHA Code 29 CFR 1910.106 states that
    not more than 60 gallons may be Class I and II liquids. So does that mean that I need a storage container for each 55 gallon drum or is that total for the whole premises?

And what about my clear coat? I bring that in at 50 gallons at a time but all in 1 gallon containers...but I have 50 quart size for the catalyst...so do I need to break those into 2 different cabinets also...

If I am correct in thinking? I need a total of 4 cabinets with self closing doors...so $5,000.00 there?...

So revising the total to $16,500 give or take...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,361Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    With the quantity you are looking at now and possibly in the future, would it be overkill to put in an "explosion" room? something with a floor that acted as containment, and a sacrificial wall in the case of an accident?
    Well yes and no...floor space is at a premium right now...I was hoping the extra 300 square feet would give us some room to breathe BUT...if I suck it all up in a explosion proof room? Well we are back to where we were...which is fine but I did want to grow the business a little...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,288Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Jim, watch auctions or used painting equipment places. Craigslist, eBay... I've bought from all of them dual 55ga drum cabinets w shelf for $600 & $700. They're about $2500 new. Single drum cabinet w shelf for $500 I think.
    Yea the downside is I need auto close doors per the state of Commifornia...most less expensive ones are manual close...
    I know its beautiful out in Cali, but man yall have some tuff rules and regulations !!!!
    Yea I know...the upside is that I can write this blog about what it takes to be legal and functional...I doubt any place in the US is more strict than California so if we can do it? Anyone opening the business should be able to...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,288Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    my single drum cabinet is actaully auto close. Large ones are manual I believe.

my single drum cabinet is actaully auto close. Large ones are manual I believe.

You can get the large ones with auto close...and thanks for the heads up...I have seen several now that are used but down around $500 each so that will help...
    @K2Concepts @MidOhioHydrographics Careful buying used cabinets like that. There is a date on those cabinets. The fusable link that melts to close them has an expected lifespan. You can replace that link, but that doesn't necessarily make the cabinet "safe" per NFPA guidelines. If they say its past its lifespan, you are still on the hook for new ones.

@K2Concepts @MidOhioHydrographics Careful buying used cabinets like that. There is a date on those cabinets. The fusable link that melts to close them has an expected lifespan. You can replace that link, but that doesn't necessarily make the cabinet "safe" per NFPA guidelines. If they say its past its lifespan, you are still on the hook for new ones.

Well shite....
    Grrr...figures...

OK well the business park has found us a different unit but easier to get 3 phase to...so we are signing papers Monday...
    Do your research first, sometimes you can find cabinets that are still in their accepted lifespan. And if you aren't trying to keep NFPA happy (the town inspector will probably not look at it) you may be just fine. We "threw away" several cabinets that were out of their lifespan that worked PERFECTLY... right into the back of my truck.
  • GCIGCI Posts: 1,317Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Well that sucks.

Yea the downside is I need auto close doors per the state of Commifornia...most less expensive ones are manual close...

Add some buggies cords to them to close them automatically. lol
    GCI said:

Well that sucks.

@GCI , u must be from Alabama too !!! LOL
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 712Member ✭✭✭

No it's not the homeless...although they are annoying...The city passed the growth and distribution of marijuana BUT it is only a certain area of the city...and that is the area I am in so my landlord had the chance to lease the entire 8500 square foot building (which is empty except for me in my piddly 1177 square foot space) for $16,000 a month...so he jumped on the deal and politely asked me to leave...

So time for me to go...
    Well that sure is nice of him.....

You probably don't want yo be there anyway. In the areas here where they grow, there is lots of crime. Mostly theft and break ins. Not worth it.

• GCIGCI Posts: 1,317Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Sreynolds said:

GCI said:

Well that sucks.

@GCI , u must be from Alabama too !!! LOL
    Nope Arkansas, but have a degree from Redneck U.
  • Crusader_CoatingsCrusader_Coatings Posts: 265Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @K2Concepts I placed an offer on a building, should hear back from them tomorrow. Sounds promising so if it goes through  I'll keep a running tab on our cost too, be interesting to compare west coast expense with Midwest expense. So far I'm out $120 on labor talking to the owner of the building and $50 for a special use permit
    That's cheaper than I got out so far...lol...
  • LiquiDipLiquiDip Posts: 90Member ✭✭
    wow. Where I am at there isn't much at all in the way of ordinances...outside city limits in my county and its basically a free for all.
    Well that would be nice...
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,085Member ✭✭✭✭
    @LiquiDip Where are you?
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 687Member ✭✭✭
    @K2Concepts , is it a communist state, or nazi state, the got you by the balls at ever turn don't they?...don't know how you do it my friend... The gun thing out there,alone would keep me away. Good luck Jim... Can't wait to watch the progress..
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,950Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    California, left it 24 years ago. Reminds me of Kim Kardashian. Beautiful on the outside but ugly once you peel back the layers. Good luck Jim. I have never been one to lease anything. I have found that putting my rent towards a mortgage has worked better for us. I would not recommend it for everyone. Especially in the Hydro graphic business. Very risky to say the least.