Hydro creations new metallic films...issues, anyone else? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hydro creations new metallic films...issues, anyone else?

BryanRohrBryanRohr Posts: 94Member ✭✭✭
I'm having issues with hydro creations new line of reflective/metallic films. It's acting as if were under activated, but there's no way its that with the amount of activator I've used trying to figure this out. It's breaking up on me pretty bad almost instantly. All the usual steps...92', hydrovator, new water, etc...Any ideas? I did speak to one of the designers of the metallic film project a few months ago when this was still in its early stages and he did mention that they were having some issues as well trying to find the right activator combination for it but I haven't heard back since and I lost his contact information

Comments

• PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    BryanRohr said:

he did mention that they were having some issues as well trying to find the right activator combination for it but I haven't heard back since and I lost his contact information

This...

Personally I wouldn't want to be the first to begin testing something the manufacturer isn't a 100%. Next I would ask myself why are they selling this stuff if they don't even know how to activate it.

Sorry not getting on you but that phone call would have made me steer away from that product.

Pictures will help too.

• BryanRohrBryanRohr Posts: 94Member ✭✭✭
    The stuff was already on the market but only one pattern was available at the time and it was like $4 m2. They have like 4 or 5 out now but I still have issues with all of them. From what I understand, there is actually some kind of metal material in the ink, which I am guessing is part of the problem but I hate to assume. I talked with a designer by mistake, I called a personal cell number by misdialing  (1 in a million chance) and he said they were trying out some hotter mixes to melt the metalic inks and he would let me know but, anyways. I would like to know why its on the market now too, but there has to be something up because all of the reflective stuff is still dirt cheap and I haven't seen a single completed project picture yet either. I bought it on a whim because it was something new and would be really cool if I could get it to liquify properly. I'll get some pics tomorrow.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    Funny you should ask this question...I have been in contact with China for the last 3 months regarding the reflective films...I don't know about Hydro Creations actually designing it...that stuff has been out for at least 3 or 4 years now...because that is when I first saw the film...way back in the day...

Bottom line is that it will take a special activator...I have worked Hydrovator, K2 Brew and even Superbrew 10 ways from Sunday and to no avail...(mainly because I have a 6000 part order to process)...BUT...I did order the activator straight from the manufacturer and we are going to have it "backwards engineered" by Chem Express...so we should be able to go to market fairly soon...I just got the stuff Friday afternoon so further tests Monday morning...
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,950Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BryanRohr Here's my two cents worth... The metallic films require a lot of activator. I would put one medium pass of hydrovator on at 60 seconds and dwell for 20 more seconds and add another liberal pass of activator and then dip 10 more seconds after that. Melting the ink on those is tough and the PVA carrier film is designed for a 90 second soak at 90 degrees.
  • BryanRohrBryanRohr Posts: 94Member ✭✭✭
    Well that is actually a big relief to hear. I will try Studebakers activator idea, but I honestly would love to hear the results of the reverse engineered activator before I waste too much more time with it. Not sure about the whole hydrocreations developed stuff but.....I'll leave that one alone for now. Thanks for the advice fellas, much appreciated. 
    edited August 2016

@BryanRohr Here's my two cents worth... The metallic films require a lot of activator. I would put one medium pass of hydrovator on at 60 seconds and dwell for 20 more seconds and add another liberal pass of activator and then dip 10 more seconds after that. Melting the ink on those is tough and the PVA carrier film is designed for a 90 second soak at 90 degrees.

@studebaker I have already done that...and more...it's not going to melt...it will break up first before it does anything...

Now the instructions I got was to hit it with activator when it first goes into the tank...wait 60 seconds and then hit it again and it should work...BUT with the right activator...I have hours and hours of documented time on these films...trust me when I tell you...
  • mountain_mikemountain_mike Posts: 801Member ✭✭✭
    @studebaker is this printed with the inks I'd had once mentioned in metallic
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,704Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I see another activator and a lot metallic films in the future and a whole lot of learning curves
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,950Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    No @mountain_mike These metalized polyester holographic films we are talking about are generated/embossed in sheets and bonded to the PVA film with PVAc. they are not printed on, so to speak. When Jim reverse engineers the activator, they will probably find Hexafluoroisopropanol or/and Phenol/Tetrachloroethane added to a regular activator formula to soften the polyester layer.

Dallen said:

I see another activator and a lot metallic films in the future and a whole lot of learning curves

Believe it or not? It actually works just like any other film from what I can see....as long as you have the correct activator...if not? Holy cow will it drive you insane...
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    Can someone post some pics of something done with this material? I'd love to see something different like that. Sounds interesting.
    edited August 2016
    Can someone post some pics of something done with this material? I'd love to see something different like that. Sounds interesting.
    There is a reason no one can post up pics...they have not made it work...which should tell you something about the people that claim to have invented it...
    Post edited by K2Concepts on
    edited August 2016
    And no lie guys...this stuff is weird...once I have the special activator done I will be selling it on the k2shoponline.com website...I recommend a 1.4 tip gun...special way to tape the pattern...hit it with the special activator as soon as you get it on the water...wait 60 seconds then hit it again and use a tic-tac-roe pattern...then dip...freaky weird...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,192Member, Moderator El Moderator
    How would you touch up that material? Just re-dip if it's a bad hit?
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,704Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be so cool glad that it not that different
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    Who supplies that film?
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,337Member ✭✭✭✭
    Girls will love it
    NotSoFast said:

How would you touch up that material? Just re-dip if it's a bad hit?

More than likely...I used some silver from Wicked Auto for the first batch I did...turned out ok...
  • BigCountryHydroBigCountryHydro Posts: 145Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @K2Concepts, I know you've been busy with the new shop but have you had a chance to send the special activator to Chem-express?     New shop looks really good btw, I now have shop envy!
    Post edited by BigCountryHydro on
  • Gotcha_coveredGotcha_covered Posts: 471Member ✭✭✭
    @K2Concepts is it like the film @kansashydro had us mess around with at training last year
  • daricksta619daricksta619 Posts: 77Member ✭✭
    Please let me know when or if the special activator for these film is ready to purchase thank

@K2Concepts is it like the film @kansashydro had us mess around with at training last year

Yes it is and we never did get anyone to make the activator...have to have it reverse engineered and my guy flaked on me...
  • blazingcoatingsblazingcoatings Posts: 413Member ✭✭✭
    Try cutting K2 super brew with Corona. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

You would think...
  • Btimes3Btimes3 Posts: 126Member ✭✭
    So I got some samples of this and tried it out with k2brew and hydrovator with bad results. No pics unfortunately, as soon as I activated the film basically just melted into a silver mess. Could still dip into it fine but instead of any distinct pattern it just looked like I painted the items silver. Any further info on this @K2Concepts. The film i got was just in a sample pack so maybe it was the old stuff idk 
    @Btimes3 Not with the old stuff and it's never going to happen...I am not a chemist and I am not going to spend $300 a gallon to bring in special activator from China...

I still have the new stuff sitting there so we shall see...
  • SpinnerSpinner Posts: 145Member ✭✭✭
    My son is headed away to college to study organic chemistry next year. Maybe he can put those million dollar machines to use for us. LOL