Prep for plywood

UndercoverCoatingsUndercoverCoatings Posts: 558Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
I have a customer wanting to hydrodip cornhole boards made from plywood. I know the wood needs to be sealed first, but otherwise I'm basically lost. If they used Killz primer sealer on the panels would I be able to just spray them with some base or intercoat and go straight to dipping as usual?

Comments

• SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,350Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think @Tsunami has the answer if I remember correctly
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Seal w Helsman Spar Urethane, once it's cured, sand it and paint.
  • UndercoverCoatingsUndercoverCoatings Posts: 558Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I had seen the Helmsman reccomendation. Just wondering if Killz would have the same effect.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I dont think Killz is a sealer. But @tsunami did his research and testing and shared it with the rest of the class... If it hasnt been tested yet, you could be the first...
    Features include sealing porous surfaces

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,207Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Remember, the plywood is probably going to want to float on you. You might need a second pair of hands to get it under smoothly.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Remember it also needs to cure hard enough to be a suitable substrate to mechanically hold paint after scuffing.
    Thanks for the tips!
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,014Member ✭✭✭
    And it needs to be compatible with whatever base you will be using.
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Kilz, is basically used for stain blocking, it won't properly seal the wood, let alone the end grain, I'd go with the Helmsman spar (marine grade) also I'd throughly coat those end plys with multiple coats, that's where your fail will happen if any. You could also recommend to the customer that he should use marine grade plywood too
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe

Kilz, is basically used for stain blocking, it won't properly seal the wood, let alone the end grain, I'd go with the Helmsman spar (marine grade) also I'd throughly coat those end plys with multiple coats, that's where your fail will happen if any. You could also recommend to the customer that he should use marine grade plywood too

This...Kilz will not seal the product like a Spar Urethane will...
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    @K2Concepts .... That's what I said... :o
    Got it.. thanks
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never found a base that was not compatible with the Spar Urethane
  • rcmantjkrcmantjk Posts: 99Member ✭✭

I have a customer wanting to hydrodip cornhole boards made from plywood. I know the wood needs to be sealed first, but otherwise I'm basically lost. If they used Killz primer sealer on the panels would I be able to just spray them with some base or intercoat and go straight to dipping as usual?

• rcmantjkrcmantjk Posts: 99Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    About the only thing I dip is RAW wood parts. I seal the wood with Bullseye Shellac. Shellac works great for sealing raw wood and can go under just about any kind of primer and top coat without a problem!! After the shellac has dried and cured, it gets primed, painted and dipped!!! Shellac really is the way to go for sealing up wood. Works WAYYYYYY better than urethanes!! It's an old wood workers secret to use shellac to seal wood before applying urethanes. Urethanes absorb and absorb and absorb into raw wood like crazy!! And have fun sealing the end grain using urethanes, you'll be applying coat after coat after coat to seal the end grain using ANY urethane!! Applying shellac before the urethane seals the wood much quicker and with MUCH less product! Usually one nice coat of shellac will seal just about any wood. Never had a problem using shellac!!!!
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,785Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    bahahah... cornhole boards.. what a great ideal!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    rcmantjk said:

About the only thing I dip is RAW wood parts. I seal the wood with Bullseye Shellac. Shellac works great for sealing raw wood and can go under just about any kind of primer and top coat without a problem!! After the shellac has dried and cured, it gets primed, painted and dipped!!! Shellac really is the way to go for sealing up wood. Works WAYYYYYY better than urethanes!! It's an old wood workers secret to use shellac to seal wood before applying urethanes. Urethanes absorb and absorb and absorb into raw wood like crazy!! Applying shellac before the urethane seals the wood much quicker and with less product! Usually one nice coat of shellac will seal just about any wood.
    Never had a problem using shellac!!!!

I remember working with "shellac" in my woodworking class in high school...and thank you for that tip...
  • Humble308Humble308 Posts: 165Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Very cool on the shellac. I use it a lot in my wood turning stuff, wouldn't have thought to use it for hydro. Are you just brushing it on?

I'd like to try the corn hole board myself. I imagine naked ladies or reaper prints would make all my Marine brothers lose their minds haha.
  • t_ozt_oz Posts: 100Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    That being said @rcmantjk, has anyone else tried this. I read the directions on the bullseye shellac and it said if your are going to paint over it to use this instead. Of course the directions on this say that its for interior use only but with a 2k clear I don't see how any elements could get to it to affect the shellac.

Post edited by t_oz on