Playing with duracoat and airbrush. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing with duracoat and airbrush.

NaffGuttsNaffGutts Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭
First time using both. Got DC OD Green and Matte Black, luckily they botched my order and got 2x bottles of OD Green, now there is a nice green spot on garage floor. Airbrush is a Neo by Iwata.
After mixing way more than needed for my G17, I practiced on a cardboard box for a while. The Neo comes with a .35 tip, and remember seeing DC is recommended .5 or larger, so I swapped the tips out and immediately saw the difference in coverage.
Before you ask, yes i did the sights, I ordered TFO ones to replace. After I sprayed what I thought was enough, I took a heatgun and went around it on low for about 5 minutes.
I already have my kryptek stencils so once my matte black gets here, I'll be tracing the outline with black for desired effect. After that I'll do some stippling on the grip then hit it in matte black and do trigger, magazine bottoms and mag release in OD Green to kinda tie it together.

One question I have for the experts. How would I go about taking off the breach and barrel finish and polish it to a chrome look? I know it can be done, but what is the process. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I've used a felt wheel on a dremel and their fine polishing compound to polish feed ramps. They looked like a mirror. I would imagine any sort of metal/chrome/mag polishing compound would work. I would guess a felt polishing wheel would make quicker work of it.
    But Here's a video I found where the guy does it by hand:

And another:

Seems that Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish is the compound of choice.
  • NaffGuttsNaffGutts Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭
    Awesome, seen one similar. Guess vinegar trick is the key. Just worried about the engraved ssn on breach face. Good idea on feed ramp, should have thought of that, add one to the list lol. Thanks for the info.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    NaffGutts said:

Awesome, seen one similar. Guess vinegar trick is the key. Just worried about the engraved ssn on breach face. Good idea on feed ramp, should have thought of that, add one to the list lol. Thanks for the info.

Yeah they make a cone shaped felt polisher that fits nicely into a feed ramp worked very well. Made quick work of it.
  • NaffGuttsNaffGutts Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭

Im pulling the sights for tfos. Not thrilled with it, in retrospect i could have used certain angles over the stencils for better effect on shadow-esque look. Might blast it and try again. Other stuff going so might have to put it off a bit