Yeti production-How many can you handle per 5 day week?

LiquiDipLiquiDip Posts: 90Member ✭✭
Good evening!

I am negotiating a production gig for the Yeti cups, and had some questions.

How many are you able to do each week? I have done the preliminary discussions based off 60 each week.

What are some tips to help the workflow? I have been doing strictly one-off custom jobs until now.

What do you use for masking? I want to leave the bare bottom, and have been using tape for the bottom, and blowing a balloon up in the top. That sucks.

I would like to be able to minimize/simplify extra steps such as final clean ups, prep, and in-process procedures.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Comments

• Bluewater_CoatingsBluewater_Coatings Posts: 90Member
    I pretty much do custom single jobs, but have done a couple productions jobs. I was able to do about 4 cups in 3 days. I would think you would need to do them all by hand as I don't know of a setup that allows simultaneous rolling of the cups in the film. I would love to find out there is one. I would think it would just be how you manage your time, and the rotation of the cup from prep to dip to finish. I mask the bottom with painters tape, and backtape the top then shove a cheap cup in the mouth for a stand, and handle to roll it with.
  • dippinchitdippinchit Posts: 120Member ✭✭
    Ask yourself what it is that is ON the printed hydrographic film to begin with.
    Ask yourself what is it the tape it doing to protect the surface from the ink.
    I did just that.
    I came up with water soluble children's glue stick or bottle. Remember rubbing your gluey fingers together and peeling it off like a sunburn/plasti-dip?
    If I were to go into a large production of the same dip like your speaking of.
    I would buy or contract someone with a 3D printer and make custom "shower caps" and "fill plugs"
    Shower cap for bottom and a cap/plug for the top.
    With a 3D printer you can make custom handles for the Tumblers also.
    One day you will melt your plastic packaging that fills the oceans into other usable things and not destroy your childrens lives.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,020Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dippinchit Paul from Alaska Hydrographics dips cups two at a time by hot gluing the bottoms together. He can actually dip 80 cups in a day this way.

Dip123.com and SmartSolve.com both sell a PVA tape that dissolves in the rinse.... Just one less step, removing the masking tape in the rinse. :)

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I would say once I got my fixtures and process down? 100 per day would be no problem. But that would be using my automated arm, and a custom roll fixture. There is a way to roll multiple at a time, you just have to find it!

If you're by yourself, and dipping 1 at a time by hand, I would say:

-Sandblast: <1 min each
    -Degrease: <1 min each
    -Fixture/Mask: 1min each
    -Paint: <1min each
    -Dip: 3 minute cycle time
    -Rinse: Negligible since it can basically run w/ your 3 min dip cycle time
    -blow parts dry: 1/2 hour
    -Touch Up (1 min each)
    -Clear: 1 minute each
    -Unfixture/Package: 1 min each

At those times, I would say 30/day would be doable. Morning: 45 min to Unfixture from previous day, 45min sandblasting, 45 min degreasing/cleaning, 30-45min fixture, paint 20minutes, dip/rinse 1.5 hours. Blow Dry 1/2 hour, Touch up 1/2 hour, Clear 45 minutes, unfixture 45 minutes (the following morning). (Times all over estimated)

So about 7-7.5 Hours of work. So you still have room for errors! LOL. You got this ;-)

As far as tips to help work flow? Fixtures that hang on wire rolling racks. If you can help it fixture once, don't move them off until you are ready to package. You'll probably need some kind of quick disconnect to take them off the fixture to roll them by hand. I would look into mason jar stoppers for the tops and put a threaded rod, or PVC, through the center.
  • LiquiDipLiquiDip Posts: 90Member ✭✭
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @SingleAction52 has solved the problem of how to dip multiple cups at once, but I am not sure he is willing/able to share that with the world. If he is? You could contact him directly. He also has come up with a quick way to mask the lid. This is just me promoting a good idea that I know of, so he will have to decide if he is ready.
  • LiquiDipLiquiDip Posts: 90Member ✭✭

@SingleAction52 has solved the problem of how to dip multiple cups at once, but I am not sure he is willing/able to share that with the world. If he is? You could contact him directly. He also has come up with a quick way to mask the lid. This is just me promoting a good idea that I know of, so he will have to decide if he is ready.

Thanks @WileECoyote, if I need to i will contact him. I have a fixture thought of in my head, and I have access to a cnc machine shop so I think I may be able to come up with something if I need it.
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 703Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

It's close!!
  • dippinchitdippinchit Posts: 120Member ✭✭
    Run a contest on the best tumbler dip WITHOUT ROLLING.
    100 people trying all kinds of stuff. Someone might just change the way things are done?
    If it can not be done then who can come up with the best JIG for production?

• RadicalSideHydroRadicalSideHydro Posts: 588Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Dipping half and half is pretty quick but you have 2 seams but there clean lines. 
  • DarkHollowDarkHollow Posts: 87Member ✭✭✭
    @LiquiDip did you land the production gig?
  • bogiebogie Posts: 59Member ✭✭
    I think @DeviousDips has a three cup jig he sells.