Dipping cerakote — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dipping cerakote

Is dipping cerakote that hard of a process? Would it be easier to cerakote, intercoat clear, dip then clear? 

Comments

• airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,127Member ✭✭✭✭
    nothing will stick to it after its cured! theres a fine line from what I have heard! i think you bake for 10 min or so let kool then dip and hope it sticks! then re bake..
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,316Member ✭✭✭✭
    yes , what @airtimegrafix said !!! There is so many other options , cerakote is for cerakote . Why cant we just let it be that way !!! LOL
  • desrochers10desrochers10 Posts: 23Member
    Eesh, It would be nice to have a cerakote base coat so when my gun gets scratched up it won't wreck the base coat, I guess I'll just have to redip it every few years, thanks guys! Better to ask then to mess up my 1200$ shotgun!
    paint base with a product used for dipping such as nanochem, ohw, or whatever , dip and clear with cerakotes clear !!!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,142Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Sreynolds said:

paint base with a product used for dipping such as nanochem, ohw, or whatever , dip and clear with cerakotes clear !!!

You would be surprised at the durability of "regular" products. I mean, all those Camo shotguns on the shelf aren't Duracoat, cerakote, Gunkote, etc. I know NanoChem paints and clears are widely used in the outdoor industry. I know they're not anywhere near cerakote durability. But good enough? Sure.

You can dip to Duracoat and Gunkote both, at least to my knowledge. They would probably be a more durable option, but I have no data to back it up.
    Bottom line is cerakote is not dip friendly !! the stuff just don't like nothing else on it period
  • desrochers10desrochers10 Posts: 23Member
    Yeah I've been hydrodipping for a few years now but if anyone has been hunting with hydrodipped shotguns they'd know that the pattern never lasts, even factory camo guns fade and scratch up after the first year. By the way, how is nanochem paint? I use ohw but it's very expensive to ship here( I live in northern Canada)
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,142Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited January 2017
    NanoChem paint is very good. But it is not a single-stage paint. Meaning you'll need a primer for metal and an adhesion promoter for plastics.

Correction: You can go direct to properly prepped metal (like blasted steel).
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
  • lockportmachinewerxlockportmachinewerx Posts: 19Member
    Cerakote has a thin Mil-Spec covering compared to PAINT. There are guys out there dipping to it. Just gotta try different set-ups to dial it in. getting ready to tackle it myself!
  • lockportmachinewerxlockportmachinewerx Posts: 19Member
    by set ups... I mean the rite partial cure of the basecoat.
    I'm also going to retract/change my previous statement. You CAN go direct to metal w/ NanoChem. Just spoke to a distributor last night. For certain plastics you will need an adhesion promoter.
  • liquidtouchhydroliquidtouchhydro Posts: 92Member ✭✭✭
    I have been working with one of my local gun shops to use the cerakote bake clear after dipping we have finished a couple slides and have baked with success he will be trying them out in the field to see how well it will hold up. 
  • libertyh20libertyh20 Posts: 25Member
    Cerakote cannot be dipped. Anyone that tells you otherwise is not having good results or is doing terrible work. The closest thing you can get to cerakote is having a Urethane base coat mixed to match cerakote colors. Most of your local auto body supply shops can do this for you.
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,127Member ✭✭✭✭
    or just use duracoat ,easy peasy!!!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,019Administrator El Jefe

or just use duracoat ,easy peasy!!!

This...