fixed soft touch issue

kylegabbertkylegabbert Posts: 264Member ✭✭✭
The issue I was having is that it would always have some gloss and be sticky. I shook the bottle and it was the same result. The stupid mistake I made was not stirring it. At the bottom, there was about 1/4" of thick material. Once I stirred that all together with the clear, the results were great. It flattened out about 30 seconds after spraying. Here's a test piece I did.

Comments

• kylegabbertkylegabbert Posts: 264Member ✭✭✭
    Also did another small test piece, and did some durability testing. I handled it a little bit, and ran my finger over it with some pressure, and it kind of rubbed off the flat, softness of it, and left a semi gloss, kinda sticky feel. Is this normal? Or should there not be any markings on it after handling? @Dinnetta_gobigbrain
    Really loving the look and feel of this, just want to perfect it!
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,287Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as we all remember from our mistakes, I don't but I hope you do
    I learned from this one! It was a beginner mistake!
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    depending on how much you used without stirring the bottom you altered the chemical make up of the whole bottle! that may b an issue!
    That's what I was thinking, I probably used about 2.5 oz of material! Hopefully that didn't ruin the whole thing! It's soft and feels like leather, but with some rubbing it seems to get rid of that feel. I rubbed with a little pressure, because over time I figured that is how the item would wear and wanted to see what it would be like. 
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    what brand was it?
    It was big brains
    Maybe adding a little extra hardener would help? Or is it normal for the leather feel to go away with some wear? @airtimegrafix
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,351Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    When did you apply the clear? Remember just because it's "dry" doesn't mean it is fully cured.
    edited May 2016
    That was after about 24 hours, would an ir lamp help with cure time? @MidOhioHydrographics
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,351Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited May 2016

That was after about 24 hours, would an ir lamp help with cure time? @MidOhioHydrographics

Possibly. The instructions say 48 hours. I think you're just in too much of a hurry :wink: Give it a couple days. I would say the IR would help get it dry faster (to where you could handle it, or deliver it to a customer). But I doubt it would help achieve the full cure hardness. I always give a "care and use" instruction sheet w/ my items stating the clear requires 30 days to reach full hardness. I don't think it normally takes that long, but just to be safe. Going to try and attach the Soft Touch instruction sheet.
    Have you ever tried what I'm talking about? Rubbing it? I mainly did it to test it out and see what it's capabilities are, because I know that over time with daily handling (controller shells) that the rubbing-type wear would occur. I'm not sure if it's normal, or if it's because I didn't wait 48 hours, or if it's because the clear is now different because there is more of the soft touch stuff floating around in it since I mixed it after using a little already. I'll do another piece today, and have it sit under an ir lamp for about 48 hours. And I'll try not to rush it! I just love the feel of it! @MidOhioHydrographics
    Not sure, brother. I have very limited experience With it. I know they claim "diamond" hardness. I would spray a coat, wait the 48 hours or even a bit more, and see what it's like then.
    Good idea, think next time I'll just get the dead flat! Heard great things about that. The soft touch is great to spray and looks awesome. It's probably just errors that I'm making causing it to perform differently than its supposed to
    So I did another test controller, did a wet coat of gloss clear, 15 minutes later, a medium coat of soft touch on top. It flattened out very fast. I set it up, and placed an ir lamp about a foot and a half away, and let it sit for 24 hrs. I went to check on it, turned the lamp off, and lightly ran my finger over it. It is silky smooth, and perfectly flat. I'm thinking that leaving the lamp on it caused the soft feel to go away, or if it was not sprayed thick enough. This stuff is tough to figure out! Any help on what I might have done wrong is appreciated @K2Concepts @MidOhioHydrographics
    Nevermind, it feels smooth, but is soft! I guess now I know how it feels when done correctly! It's awesome, and very durable!
    Awesome. Yeah it will be smooth, just have a rubbery grippy feel. Hard to explain.