Raised Lettering

IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,334Member ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Tips and Techniques
I'm wanting to try my hand at the raised lettering like some of you do on pieces and just want to make sure I have the steps down right. Part is already dipped and will be getting one coat of clear today (Matte finish) So once the first coat has dried enough to scuff (24 hours I'm guessing??) I then scuff or sand ONLY the raised letters so the paint has something to bond too. Then I just paint the raised letters the color of choice and then let the paint thoroughly dry. Then lightly scuff the entire thing and then give it a second coat of clear.

That pretty much sum it up or is there something I'm missing?? This sits on top of the motor in my truck and is what I'm working on.......

Comments

• airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    just scuff the whole thin first so you don't mess up the paint you just did! but yeh that's one way!
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,334Member ✭✭✭✭
    @airtimegrafix - I was told to only scuff the raised letters that I want to paint, the first time. That way, any paint that gets on the outer area can be easily wiped off with a little acetone because it has no scuffed area to bond too. However, I certainly can see your point about messing up the paint I just applied
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I wouldn't use matte clear for my "inner" coats. Only the final coat needs to be matte. Unless the cost is negligible?

I probably would have painted the lettering color first, then cleared. Then masked the top of the letters, then painted the white and dipped. Remove the masking and clear. That way I am never going at it with a brush or however you are going to apply the paint to the letters. Trying to mask the negative for that second color will be horrendous, and brush strokes always show up.
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,334Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I got it all done and did it exactly as I described above and it turned out great!!

• airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    not bad at all!! buy if you do any fine line masking you need to use some 3m blue fine line maskin! makes a super clean line! or k tape!
  • PREGraphicsPREGraphics Posts: 66Member ✭✭
    @IceMaster looks good. Im just trying to understand completely your process you used. If I read correctly, you dipped, sprayed the first coat of clear and allowed it to dry. You then scuffed just the raised areas. Now when applying your paint did you spray or brush the raised areas? It then sounds like you used acetone to wipe off overspray or whatever paint was in unwanted areas (which would scare the crap out of me, because if I screw a dip I just wash the film, paint and all off with acetone and start over) Then last coat of clear?  Just wondering because I usually paint raised areas, mask, paint, dip, remove mask and clear. Just trying to make sure I understand completely your technique it might add another tool to my toolbox