Primer recommendations...

We have been testing out a few different primers and I was curious as to what brands/versions of primers have proven to be most consistent for others on general products such as plastics, metals, etc. Obviously there are other prep factors that play into this, but I am curious as to what others have found as far as consistency in how the primer applies, dries, etc.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,718Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    OHW will serve as a primer just fine
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We use a combination of things. For metal, or items we need to sand smooth, we use a high-build from API (local paint supplier). For Adhesion Promoter over plastic, we use either NanoChem AP (we use this mostly for our production on Polypropylene parts) or Prime Coatings Polypropylene Primer (I prefer the Prime overall, it's just more expensive).

If we are doing something that we are unsure about whether the AP will work, or that doesn't need smoothed out (think bare metal firearm receivers) I like to use OHW or Kansas Hydro DTP. Only one layer instead of priming & painting so the buildup is minimal. Also much faster.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    I use OHW for all my primer needs...that stuff will stick to Chrome...lol...easier than carrying 2 to 4 different primers like a Poly Primer or a DTM primer or a sealer or a high fill...Just OHW for everything and you are good to go...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited May 2016

I use OHW for all my primer needs...that stuff will stick to Chrome...lol...easier than carrying 2 to 4 different primers like a Poly Primer or a DTM primer or a sealer or a high fill...Just OHW for everything and you are good to go...

Price is the only reason we don't do this and because we already have the AP on hand for production.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    Not for YOU...you have a unique set of circumstances...most of these guys are not in that boat...
    Yeah I corrected that last post. Meant to say "because" we already have AP
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 210Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the great feedback everyone!
  • danutlupudanutlupu Posts: 14Member
    I use sandblasting and as a sealer on metal parts - Sikkens Primer Surfacer EP II. It's a very resistant 2k primer, does not come off with any strong solvents.
    For plastic, the best thing we tested was Cromax 901R - 907R UNIVERSAL 2K PLASTIC PRIMER-SURFACER. 901R and 907R are based on special polymers, extremely resistant to stone chipping, and can be applied directly on OEM exterior plastics without adhesion promoter or substrate testing.
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 210Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for the feedback everyone. Going to give some of the OHW a try this week. Appreciate you all!
    @onehitwonder
    danutlupu said:

For plastic, the best thing we tested was Cromax 901R - 907R UNIVERSAL 2K PLASTIC PRIMER-SURFACER. 901R and 907R are based on special polymers, extremely resistant to stone chipping, and can be applied directly on OEM exterior plastics without adhesion promoter or substrate testing.

@danutlupu What about HDPE?
  • danutlupudanutlupu Posts: 14Member
    HDPE needs treatment with flame, but in automotive parts are made of other plastics. All common plastic parts found on vehicle exteriors: PP, PP/EPDM, ABS, SAN, PC, PA, PUR-RIM, R-TPU, TPO, PBTP, PUR, PUR flexible foam and UP-GF.
    http://sdstds.crxcolor.com/Resources/ds_2/DOC/DATA/TDS/EN/EN 901R.pdf
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,718Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, even we can't build a direct to hdpe without flaming. All other plastics accept OHW direct after degrease and scuff however
  • greengraphixgreengraphix Posts: 22Member
    We use a combination of things. For metal, or items we need to sand smooth, we use a high-build 
    Do you only use a high build on metal then straight on with a base coat

We use a combination of things. For metal, or items we need to sand smooth, we use a high-build 

Do you only use a high build on metal then straight on with a base coat

@greengraphix Actually we only use that if the part needs really smoothed out. We have direct to metal paints we normally use. If we use the primer, we let it dry and sand/scuff it before applying the base coat b
  • greengraphixgreengraphix Posts: 22Member
    what paint do you use?

what paint do you use?

99% Aqualac Water Based. Some Kansas Hydro DTP, some One Hit Wonder, and some NanoChem Vinyl Base. Any of those last 3 will go direct to blasted metal.