cerikote with hydro info! — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cerikote with hydro info!

airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,124Member ✭✭✭✭
does any one here know the actual way to use this stuff! and would want to enlighten me on the way to properly use it with hydro! im getting my oven in the next week. my buddy has a double door oven from his old restaurant I get for free so ill b able to do big stuff not just firearms! I normally use duracoat with hydro but some people want cerikote so why not have that option too! thanks!

Comments

• GCIGCI Posts: 1,320Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Creakote has an air cure version as well. No oven required.
  • preedpreed Posts: 374Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Few actually do it. Most people don't do it because it's a huge pain in the **badword**. I think if you poke around the cerakote website they have or at least had a recipe for doing it. I did see it there. But if not I'm sure they'd give it to you if you can't find it.
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,124Member ✭✭✭✭
    yeh that's what ive heard! so many minutes in oven then remove let cool dip, hope it sticks ect.!! I might look into the air dry! but I now its not the same as oven baked!
  • LiquidDreamsLiquidDreams Posts: 250Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You can dip over KG gunkote pretty reliably. It's pretty close to Cerakote.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,949Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

You can dip over KG gunkote pretty reliably. It's pretty close to Cerakote.

Everything I've heard about Gunkote is that it's pretty much better in every way for the applicator. And holds up just as well as Cerakote... Now of course if you read Cerakote's testing, it says Gunkote isn't quite as good. But both exceed 9H for hardness rating.

I'm attending the Cerakote certification training at the NIC facility in November, and dipping will definitely be one of the things I'll be looking into.
  • CrossLincCrossLinc Posts: 35Member
    Everything I've heard about Gunkote is that it's pretty much better in every way for the applicator. And holds up just as well as Cerakote... Now of course if you read Cerakote's testing, it says Gunkote isn't quite as good. But both exceed 9H for hardness rating.

I'm attending the Cerakote certification training at the NIC facility in November, and dipping will definitely be one of the things I'll be looking into.

@MidOhioHydrographics I'll be wanting to pick your brain on the Cerakote certification training when you get back. We just got our FFL for coating firearms but have been using the Cerakote gun coatings for quite some time now on various pieces. I hear the training is one on one, so I'll be curious to hear what they say about dipping to ceramic. I've seen their "directions" for doing it, but am somewhat apprehensive after reading here that it's tricky business.

@MidOhioHydrographics I'll be wanting to pick your brain on the Cerakote certification training when you get back. We just got our FFL for coating firearms but have been using the Cerakote gun coatings for quite some time now on various pieces. I hear the training is one on one, so I'll be curious to hear what they say about dipping to ceramic. I've seen their "directions" for doing it, but am somewhat apprehensive after reading here that it's tricky business.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,949Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @CrossLinc sure! I will be happy to share my experience. We are finishing up some custom jobs, then I'm going to start tinkering w the Cerakote and the required equipment (oven, smaller spray guns, etc). And from my understanding, I don't believe the regular Cerakote is actually "ceramic". It's basically a false use of the word as part of the paint name.
    edited May 2016

@CrossLinc sure! I will be happy to share my experience. We are finishing up some custom jobs, then I'm going to start tinkering w the Cerakote and the required equipment (oven, smaller spray guns, etc). And from my understanding, I don't believe the regular Cerakote is actually "ceramic". It's basically a false use of the word as part of the paint name.

@MidOhioHydrographics Cool. And by "regular" Cerakote, do you mean the firearm coating or the high temp coating? Sounds interesting.

@CrossLinc I'm Meaning The firearm coatings. I think the High Temp does use ceramic. I'm not 100% sure on either, just going from memory. I'll do some digging while I'm eating lunch today
    Here's what I was reading (mind that it is a competitor's website that tested the Cerakote)
    http://www.thedurablog.com/2015/09/cerakote-isnt-it-supposed-to-be-ceramic.html
    If you read down to the comments, there is a rebuttal from Cerakote also. Take it all for what it's worth. I'm doing Cerakote becuase of marketing. Getting on their website as certified, and hoping for a production contract someday.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,230Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have both products Dura and Cera in my shop now , cerakote is better as far as taking a beating. I tried to dip to durakote , and it works. problem is the dip window is short, other paints sold for this process give a much longer window. I might be wrong, but if u dip a gun using OHW or nanochem or any other base sold for this process and them use cerakotes clear over it , Whats the difference ???? The air cured cerakote clear is very tough , so it should hold up just fine imo. @MidOhioHydrographics thoughts??
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,124Member ✭✭✭✭
    The clear is only as good as the base coat!!