Question regarding Soft Touch

IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,325Member ✭✭✭✭
@Dinnetta_gobigbrain - this soft touch stuff. I have a lot of guys asking about it in my area. My question is, if someone brings me a bow of theirs and all they want done is have your soft touch applied to the riser, can that be applied over top of the old surface/clear that's already on the riser? Could the old finish just be scuffed up like you would a normal clear coat and then apply a coat of the soft touch over top? Or would it have to all be redone from scratch?

Guys want this soft touch applied to their equipment but without having to redo the whole thing.....

Appreciate any information you could give me on this!

Comments

• IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,325Member ✭✭✭✭
    So got an answer to this question from Big Brain through email and this is what they said:

"I’m sure that would be just fine.

To ensure the longevity of the soft touch, I would do this:

Scuff the manufacturer finish.

Spray clear base/binder onto the product.

Spray coat of flat clear.

Finish off with 1 coat of the soft touch.

That will make sure that there is proper adhesion for longevity!"

Seems like a lot of steps but if it works, then worth it right?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,240Administrator El Jefe
    Sounds good to me...
  • Dinnetta_gobigbrainDinnetta_gobigbrain Posts: 196Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

Sounds good to me...

Well yeah it sounds good! It's right! :P :P :P :P

Thanks Jimbo-roonski!
  • Dinnetta_gobigbrainDinnetta_gobigbrain Posts: 196Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @IceMaster It does sound like a lot of steps. I can understand that. But, the reality of it is that it may be a lot of steps in listing, but it is WAY less time than taking it all the way back down to substrate and starting from scratch. The reality of it is, is that the prep of your product is the key to keeping your customer happy because it will stay and it will last. :) For sure!

But if you sanded it back down here would be your steps:

Sand down (not sure how much time this would take... 30 minutes? An hour? Hour and a half?)
    Epoxy
    Paint
    Dip
    Clear

So in reality you're really saving a lot of TIME, and even some steps! And, even more valuable, your time.

Follow those steps and you'll be just fine and your customer will be more than happy. Let me know if you need any further assistance and I'll be happy to assist!
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,325Member ✭✭✭✭
    Although I did state it was a lot of steps, I think it is worth it to get the proper outcome. That's why I asked for your advice, because it's your product!! ;)