Clean adhesive vinyl for logo under powder coating — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clean adhesive vinyl for logo under powder coating

yawtsae441yawtsae441 Posts: 57Member, Business Ninja ✭✭
Is there a particular that is used with a machine such as a Silhouette to pull off without leaving residue (glue)to create a bare surface logo. Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks.

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,188Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Check for vinyl specifically made for stencil applications. I think the one we use is made by 3M, but I'm not certain. I just weekd and transfer tape the stuff. I don't buy it. lol. It's yellow in color and works great. It sticks well enough to stay in place while painting/dipping, but releases cleanly. Leaves very sharp edges...no jagged lines.
  • yawtsae441yawtsae441 Posts: 57Member, Business Ninja ✭✭
    It is when I put it in the powder coating oven that the problem occurs. After powder gels I reach in with tweezers and it pops off. It is the film residue under it that causes the issue. Thanks.
  • blazingcoatingsblazingcoatings Posts: 413Member ✭✭✭
    You need high temp polyester green colored tape. We use this for masking in the powder coating process. It works very well and does not pop off. 
    @blazecoatings, I use that for masking. I need to be able to run it thru a plodder to create a logo. Thanks.
    Not sure how wide they sell I know we got 4" wide at the shop. Wondering if there is a way you can run that through the vinyl cutter. Even if you put the masking taper over the vinyl as a guide and just rasied the cutting blade. Just something to think about. 
  • ReddGraphicsReddGraphics Posts: 18Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't have at all experience in hydrographics yet, just set up all now, but I got advanced knowledge about vinyls - I'm sign maker. I'm for sure will test combination - vinyl cut graphics - stencils - hydrographics, don't know what contour cutter you have - we got summacut that runs 2 type of blades, one for normal vinyls and another for thick vinyls - sandblasting films. Don't know about temp it can resist, but it's tough film and its stay in place well. They are 2 types - green and grey. There are many masking vinyls for stencils such Oracal 810, 811, 813 but i don't think they will work well with powder coating.. You may also try with masking tape you got by placing it into backing paper - like vinyl backing - then place it on to your cutting sticky matt and cut in plotter, remove excess, place over transfer tape and transfer it to your item. I will be experimenting soon with vinyls and hydrographics so hope to learn here.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,942Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @yawtsae441 SmartSolve makes an adhesive backed PVA film that totally rinses away in the rinse. It's paper backed and can be cut and weeded in a vinyl cutter. No adhesive residue after rinse! Powder Coating after decal removal is a breeze.

You might want to watch all their interesting videos....

Contact information to purchase this remarkable dissolvable adhesive film:

Jonathan R. Jakubowski jonathan@smartsolveindustries.com 888.788.5085

While you're talking to them you might want to ask about their Custom Hydrographic Film printing service.

Yes, Jim... A rising tide floats all boats! Competition is good thing, it raises the bar across the board and everyone benefits. Maybe they would make a good sponsor....
  • SmtRedSmtRed Posts: 146Member ✭✭✭
    That is bad a$@!! Probably a bit pricey I'd imagine but would be a time saver depending on the type of applications your attempting.
    @blazingcoatings They make 6 inch at 85$ a roll. I took 2 pieces of 2 inch and laid them carefully side by side. i then placed the vinyls i had cut on plodder over it and trimmed it with a surgical blade. It is not that intricate of a design so it only took a few minutes to clean it up. works fine. Thanks for everyones input.
    Happy to hear it worked out.
  • TCC2017TCC2017 Posts: 11Member
    use black Oricle Vinyl. Put the stencil on and shoot powder coat. Bake at 400F for 90 sec unitl the powder is beginning to gel. Pull out and let cool to between 130-110F use a hook to gently pull off stencil. Sprey off with air and put back in oven for full cure.
  • bogiebogie Posts: 59Member ✭✭
    Exactly what @TCC2017 said. I have done over 1000 tumblers since November this way. I use Oracle 651 (whatever color is on sale). Let the powder begin to flow, take it out of the oven, cool for a minute of so. I use an xacto knife to peel the vinyl off, blow it off with air hose and finish the cure.
  • BEMOTORSPORTSBEMOTORSPORTS Posts: 178Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    exactly what @bogie siad oricle 651 or 631 the 631 has less tact we done 100s of tumblers using those two never had a proplem!!
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,706Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lighter fluid and a Q-tip will remove tape residue without harming anything else
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighter fluid and a Q-tip will remove tape residue without harming anything else

Do you light the q-tip? Like a small flame torch?

(lol)
  • DarkHollowDarkHollow Posts: 84Member ✭✭
    TCC2017 said:

use black Oricle Vinyl. Put the stencil on and shoot powder coat. Bake at 400F for 90 sec unitl the powder is beginning to gel. Pull out and let cool to between 130-110F use a hook to gently pull off stencil. Sprey off with air and put back in oven for full cure.

yup, Same here

• gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 220Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Actually the Oracal Stencil mask is better, I think it is the Oramask 813.
  • DarkHollowDarkHollow Posts: 84Member ✭✭
    813, i will have to look into that myself!