Can you powder clear after you dip a wheel?

bclaussenbclaussen Posts: 21Member
I am thinking about getting into the hydrographics world as a way to diversify my business, but I have one question.  Can you powder clear a wheel after you dip it?  If not do you have a problem with the liquid clear holding up when you try to mount a low profile fun flat tire?  My concern is that the liquid clear will not hold up.  

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    As long as the base coat is powder? Yea all day long...if not? Then no...
  • bclaussenbclaussen Posts: 21Member
    Thanks for the response.  I am trying to diversify my wheel repair business.  What is the most durable why to dip a wheel.  Would it ever be something you would post a video of.  whole process start to finish.  I would have thought that the oven would melt the film before you sprayed the clear coat.

edited March 2014
    It's not the film that melts...it's the base coat. Understand that if you use a solvent or water based paint...then print to that...but then try to clear powder coat over that? You will melt the base coat NOT the film...THAT is the problem. If you powder coat the base and then print to that base and then clear powder coat over the print? You are fine...

Again, it's NOT the print...it's the base coat or the clear that will melt...if you go powder coating through the whole process? Then you will be fine...

That being said? There is a trick to dipping straight to powder coating...but that is another story and thread...
    please elaborate.  This info is priceless.

I thought I covered it quite well...what is it that you do not understand and we can go from there...
    Ok sorry for the vague question.  Please correct me if I am misunderstanding the process.  

1) prep wheel wet sand wheel with 600 grit sand paper, or does the entire wheel need to be sand blasted if you are going to use powder base and powder clear coat.
    2)cook wheel if you are going to use powder base coat
    3) spray powder base coat
    4) let wheel cool down to room temp
    5) lay film over water for 50 -60 sec
    6)spray applicator wait 45 seconds distribute evenly
    7) dip wheel
    8)rinse wheel for 2 minutes
    8b) can you wipe the wheel dry after rinsing or do you let it air dry
    9) cook wheel @ 375-400 degrees
    10) apply powder clear
    11) cook wheel again @ 375 for 20 minutes
    12) let wheel cool
    13) mount and balance tire

Please correct me where i am wrong.  Thanks k2

Number 6 is off...you can go right into the film once you activate...I would think 45 seconds is quite along time to wait. Number 8 is off...you rinse as long as it takes to get the activator and excess PVA off the wheel...there is no time limit or guideline. 8b? I usually let them air dry to insure all the water has evaporated before the next step.

I am not a powder coater so someone else will have to chime in for those parts.
    K2 thank you for the info.  Love the videos on youtube very insightful.
    Please if anyone can elaborate on the powder coating side it would be appreciated.
  • KentCustomDippingKentCustomDipping Posts: 42Member
    Ok this is how we do it:
    Wheel acid stripped
    Wheel sand blasted
    Wheel refurbed
    Wheel coated in base coat powder(colour)
    Wheel fully baked
    Dip wheel - 60-90 sec soak depending on film and tank temp, activator sprayed, wheel dipped
    Rinse
    Once dried off Powder laquer
    Fully bake
    Thank you Kent!...

And there you go...
    sweet, thanks kent.  much appreciated

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,021Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    This is very interesting! One of my customers uses that liquid powdercoating stuff. I gonna get him to try burying the hydrographics in the powdercoat and see how it turns out! I let you guys know how it turns out!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @studebaker get pics, and take LOTS of notes. More information will always be useful.
  • flexbros13flexbros13 Posts: 9Member
    So we can actually dip on powder , I didn't think it would stick to powder /same deal does it have to have flat finish ?
    Yes you can make it stick just fine...there is a learning curve and you can't let the powder sure too hard or become ceramic...but yes once you print to it then you can clear powder over it...and cook it as long as you want...it's not the film that fails at 400 degrees...it's the paints...

And not sure what you mean by "flat finish"...?...
  • flexbros13flexbros13 Posts: 9Member
    I'm new to the dipping industry , but was under the impression that finishes had to be flat or matte to dip on to. Is this not true ?
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

I'm new to the dipping industry , but was under the impression that finishes had to be flat or matte to dip on to. Is this not true ?

Not true. It's the scuffing of a gloss that helps open the last finish to bond to.
  • CrossLincCrossLinc Posts: 38Member

Ok this is how we do it:
    Wheel acid stripped
    Wheel sand blasted
    Wheel refurbed
    Wheel fully baked
    Dip wheel - 60-90 sec soak depending on film and tank temp, activator sprayed, wheel dipped
    Rinse
    Fully bake

After curing the base coat completely, are you still able to get the top powder clear coat to adhere?

Flat or matte powders have a flattening agent in them that does not allow clears to stick to them very well. You have to scuff them before clearing. So if that's the case, you might as well use a gloss base coat, scuff, then use whatever level of sheen for the clear coat that you want to end up with.

It's not the film that melts...it's the base coat. Understand that if you use a solvent or water based paint...then print to that...but then try to clear powder coat over that? You will melt the base coat NOT the film...THAT is the problem. If you powder coat the base and then print to that base and then clear powder coat over the print? You are fine...

Again, it's NOT the print...it's the base coat or the clear that will melt...if you go powder coating through the whole process? Then you will be fine...

That being said? There is a trick to dipping straight to powder coating...but that is another story and thread...
    This was the info I was looking for! Since I'm a full time powdercoater getting into dipping, I was hoping I could use powder as a base and clear. Always been trying to find out for sure if the inks would handle the heat.
  • buddybuddy Posts: 63Member ✭✭
    Curious to how your handling a dip that needs a little touch up? 
    buddy said:

Curious to how your handling a dip that needs a little touch up? 

Well that IS a monkey in the wrench...
  • rmuckrmuck Posts: 58Member
    Is there anymore update on this post? I m a F/T dipper getting into the the powder coating side for custom bike paint jobs! I am wanting to know if you use a base powder, dip then tape off the design, powdercoat, remove tape & powder clear will the film and tape hold up?
  • blazingcoatingsblazingcoatings Posts: 413Member ✭✭✭
    You need to use high temp green polyester tape to mask in powder coating and you can dip to a powder coating base with some practice as you want it just to gel out and not fully cure. 
  • mielkewaygraphicsmielkewaygraphics Posts: 183Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

Ok this is how we do it:
    Wheel acid stripped
    Wheel sand blasted
    Wheel refurbed
    Wheel fully baked
    Rinse
    Fully bake

Awesome info. Couple questions. What type of "wheel acid stripper" do you recommend and who's powder do you dip to? I've talked with a couple different powder distributors and they just aren't sure if hydro will work with it. Any info would be awesome.