Rinse immediately or wait a couple minutes

I am new to this but I have been in the printing business for years. I'm trying to branch out. I keep having the same problem of fisheyes or film not sticking in the grooves of part. I get the paint showing through. I'm getting tired of touching up. I have been using a vinyl based paint and hydrovator. Some hits on metal are great but plastics are not. I do use an adhesion promoter on plastics.

Comments

• PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    If done properly you should be able to rinse immediately.

Use the search bar you'll find everything you need to know there but the basics are scuff, basecoat with a hydrographic friendly paint, activate K2superbrew, K2brew or Hydrovator, dip, rinse, dry, clear (again best results are with hydrofriendly products.

On the left side of the page are a ton of videos. Watch them all, twice. Further down on the left side are the sponsor pages. Check them out. All good people with great reputations.

Also film not sticking in the grooves is most likely your technique and you are trapping air on your piece.

Last but not least WELCOME!
  • CamogunworksCamogunworks Posts: 45Member
    Thanks most of the grooves are in the checkering on gunstocks. I have been painting for some time so it must be my dip technique
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Camogunworks Post some close ups of your issues and you'll get lots of advice. It's easier to diagnose when we can see it.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You're just trapping air, if I had to guess. Get an airbrush and get used to touch up. We RARELY have a dip that doesn't require some touch up on rifle stocks. We dip 200-300 carbines per week, with automated activation, a dip arm, angles set w/ an angle gauge on consistent fixtures, and STILL have to touch up every stock with an air brush.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Fisheyes in your clear? Or are you referring to something else as a fisheye?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Welcome to the forum and yea I think he means trapping air on the checkering or stippling...fish eyes is in the paint of clear coat and has nothing to do with your activation process...

Welcome to the forum and yea I think he means trapping air on the checkering or stippling...fish eyes is in the paint of clear coat and has nothing to do with your activation process...

That's what I'm wondering. They actually do sort of look like fisheyes in the dip, now that I think about it. Someone w paint experience, but not dipping experience could easily refer to them as such.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @MidOhioHydrographics After a while EVERYTHING starts to look like a fisheye. As I inspect clear in the booth I get gunshy when i walk up and see a big nib thinking something flew in under the radar and now I have an outbreak.
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    The nature of gunstocks is that you're going to have trouble with the stipling areas pretty often. From what I've discovered the best technique for getting good coverage without fading or stretch on a print is rolling (depending on the stock). when you roll you're going to trap some air in those stipling areas. Touching them up with an airbrush is pretty easy. or even dotting the small areas with an artists fine tip brush. Good luck!
  • CamogunworksCamogunworks Posts: 45Member
    It is white dots in the checkering on some rifle stocks not in the clear coat.

It is white dots in the checkering on some rifle stocks not in the clear coat.

Yeah that's just trapping air. Hard to avoid.