Stone, in perticular, granite — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stone, in perticular, granite

I realize that my company name has somehow come around to make quite the joke on me. Reaper Innovative Precision-RIP, has been asked by a local tombstone company to see if I can dip stone. Get the irony? So, has anyone dipped stone? I tried a few samples today and it seems directly to stone may be possible if it is polished and then blasted lightly. Painted seems like it is going to work, still testing. :))

Comments

• RyanHeathRyanHeath Posts: 770Member ✭✭✭
    x factor
  • Reaper06Reaper06 Posts: 121Member ✭✭
    One of the samples was too rough and I got bubbles. So it's a matter of finding that happy medium.
  • EARLEARL Posts: 20Member
     Reaper06, I worked with granite for some years ,and would advise you to do some research on repurcussions of dipping granite.
     All stone has to breathe, if you cover it,(all but the end going in the ground) it will wick moisture ,you can guess the rest.
      I am not trying to rain on your parade,but I am trying to help you aware of the pitfalls of sealing granite.
     Respectfully EARL.
  • MasterjqxMasterjqx Posts: 990Member ✭✭✭
    Earl what would be the difference in dipping and clearing over granite then using the sealers people use on granite counter tops?
    The sealer doesn't actually seal the granite counter top, it settles in the pores between the crystals, and allows it to breathe.
     If you use to much sealer, and completely cover the top, the moisture coming from underneath will either, crack the granite,or discolor it.
      I would suggest you get a disclaimer signed, if you do the job.
    This info may explain it better.

OOPS!!!!  HERES THE INFO.

Good to know. Thanks Earl, it had a lot of great information that I can take back to the client and let them know that we can do it we just need to do it like "this".
    No problem, I would still get a disclaimer signed.
     If they will not sign, I would move on to my next adventure.
    Remember, headstones go into the ground, and they will wick moisture.
     Your initial trial bubbling was probably caused by moisture, as well as being rough.
    Granite takes a long time to dry , even in ideal conditions.
      Hope all this helps you not to lose money, and valuable time.
    Good luck EARL.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,469Administrator El Jefe
    Thank you Earl...gonna sticky this thread...
    Here's my samples, no clear.
  • BIGGAME510BIGGAME510 Posts: 295Member ✭✭
    Just do counter tops that would b cool
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reaper I do a lot of countertops in natural and engineered stone. Most slabs today have an epoxy resin applied at the factory before polish on the surface.Some tile also have this recently new process. If it beads water instantly it has something. Every application needs to be looked at differently, wet area VS dry area. Inside a mausoleum I think its possible. Outside, I would definitely get a disclaimer. Here's my question, why would you want to cover beautiful natural stone. If your talking tombstones it would be better to get someone to make a plastic or abs tombstone and dip to that. Probably cheaper also. Let us know how this works out.
  • magicrussmagicruss Posts: 53Member
    does this apply to concrete as well as i make custom concrete counter tops as well maybe dip a few.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @magicruss Since Concrete absorbs water, You will have to seal it up very well with something. Then scuff it, and paint it with something compatible with the process.
  • UptonSpoonUptonSpoon Posts: 553Member ✭✭✭
    Hey @Reaper06 @magicruss . It would be worth your while chucking five of your American bucks at Dave @Tsunami for this advice.

Watch https://youtu.be/UPXgPSK0Uxw

Then read concreteathome.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/buffon-residence-progress-new-frontiers.html

You might find it thought provoking
  • magicrussmagicruss Posts: 53Member
    @UptonSpoon hey thanks for the info love that supercrome @tsunami puts out.
    as far as concrete formulation i have a mix that works great.i get 12000 to 15000 psi impact and 2000 psi flex from my mix.as far as sealer i use a product called h-12 or "steellike" from trinic. with these mixes i can let my crete set up under water if i wanted to lol.i have hit my counter tops with a hammer with no marks.
  • sas874runnersas874runner Posts: 40Member
    Some of those head stones are huge can you make a video so I can watch?!?
  • chuubabachuubaba Posts: 110Member ✭✭
    I was experimenting with a cup made of stone and found that a base coat is not required for the purpose of adhesion.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited May 2017
    chuubaba said:

I was experimenting with a cup made of stone and found that a base coat is not required for the purpose of adhesion.

Not true. I am not a stone expert but for the most part stone is inert or "chemically stable" and not subject to the influence of most chemicals. Maybe strong acids, but not something like activator. For new dippers reading this post, please Take this for what it is: bad advice. Proper prep and proper base coat is going to be required for stone/ceramic substrates. You can see the results in this other thread:
    http://k2forums.com/discussion/10922/hi-all/p1
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,140Member, Moderator El Moderator
    chuubaba said:

"Adhesion" means permanent attachment. Sticking to a base material without sliding off immediately is not the same. Do a proper adhesion test on the unpainted cup. Take a razor blade and score it in a tic-tac-toe pattern (#) and press down some really sticky packing tape and rip it off at a 90 degree angle and see how well it sticks. You won't have adhesion. It's like spray painting a mirror. Just because the paint is "on" the surface doesn't mean it's adhering to it.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    See the testing that was done in Ohio, variables were eliminated and after the process was complete 2 adhesion tests were done on each section to eliminate anomaly. Without this sort of testing and proof of it, I wouldn't take any advice from "some guy on the internet". ESPECIALLY if you are going to paint someone's product and send it out the door without doing YOUR OWN testing... That's a REAL good way to kill your business fast.