Exhaust fan, etc. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exhaust fan, etc.

ForsiForsi Posts: 127Member ✭✭✭
I am finishing the build-out on my paint booth. The booth space is 10'x12' (120 sq. ft) with 10' tall ceiling. Any suggestions on the type and power of exhaust fan(s) I should go with for this type of space? I plan to do filters on one wall, intake fans on another, and then the exhaust fan above the doorway to the booth and out the ceiling of the booth and then out the building. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,707Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited April 2016
    This has been mentioned before, but ideally you want around 100-125 linear feet per minute moving across the user. So take your fan CFM and divide by the booth opening size. For my booth, I have a 8750cfm fan, booth is 7ft x 10ft, so 8750/70=125 fpm.

I personally wouldn't use intake fans. I would just let the exhaust pull the air in through the filters.
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 261Member ✭✭✭
    I got my Paint boot fan from JC Metal fab. I sized the fan by using the calculations @MidOhioHydrographics had in a previous post.
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 127Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much @MidOhioHydrographics and @Trouble !
    @MidOhioHydrographics if I figured this correctly I have a 12'x10' booth so based on needing 125fpm I would need upwards of a 16000cfm fan, yes? Thanks again for the help!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,479Administrator El Jefe
    Uhh...no...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Forsi 12x10+120. OSHA specs 60Ft/min for supplied hoods (fan must draw 7,200 CFM) and 110 Ft/Min for Half mask respirators (fan must draw 13,000 CFM) People have success running at lower flows than this in the booth, but this is a starting point for those getting started when designing their own booth. Guys, this falls under the same category as designing your own tank. Just because you CAN build it, DOESN'T mean you should. Depending on the material you are spraying, you could be breathing some very dangerous chemicals here.
    Appreciate the info @WileECoyote ; I am having someone else do the build out on the booth, just trying to make sure I know what is what when it comes to the fans, etc. I am sure the person doing the build (which does this type of work often) knows, but I was just trying to learn for my own knowledge as well. Thanks for the feedback.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,707Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It's the measurement of the booth opening, or intake filters. Wherever the air is coming in. If your opening was 12' x 10', would be 120, 14k would be more ideal. (14000/120=116fpm). If that's the opening size. But that's a big **badword** booth! Lol. I'm thinking it's probably less.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @MidOhioHydrographics it is not the booth opening or the filter bank necessarily... You need a cross section of the widest part of the booth Width x Height. Not all booths are open face, and if the filters are high efficiency, they would be sized noticeably smaller then the area where the person stands. Some times an 8'x10' booth has a filter bank of 3'x4', measuring there would give you a significantly lower flow than is needed.
    That makes sense @WileECoyote . This booth is a closed in booth (one entry door) that is 10'w x 12'L x 12'H and the plan is to do one wall with filters.
    Yep. That makes total sense @WileECoyote. Wasn't figuring on filters or the opening being that much smaller than the actual booth. :pensive: