Hydro Solutions vs Aqualac Adhesion Testing (Pic Heavy) — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hydro Solutions vs Aqualac Adhesion Testing (Pic Heavy)

MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,079Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
edited April 2017 in Water Based Paints

Hey guys, wanted to throw this up here for everyone. Before I go further, this was done for my own personal benefit. If Adhesion was better w/ HydroSolutions, it would save me quite a bit of time and money. So this was my parts using my process. We normally use Aqualac and LOVE it. It works very well for our process and the price is very good in bulk. Here we go.

Parts used were 4 firearm shrouds (E-Coated Metal) and 4 forearm covers (polypropylene). All parts were degreased in our heated degreaser/parts washer as our normal process. Normal process are to lightly sandblast the shrouds to etch the e-coat and get a mechanical bond. The polypropylene parts get a NanoChem adhesion promoter sprayed and then the Aqualac paint. Here's a breakdown of the test (the HydroSolutions paint is a bit darker colored).

Shrouds
Part Desription
1A Sandblasted (Aqualac)
2L Sandblasted (Hydro Solutions)
3A Not Sandblasted (Aqualac)
4L Not Sandblasted (Hydro Solutions)***

Forearm Covers
Part Description
1A Adhesion Promoter (Aqualac)
2L Adhesion Promoter (HydroSolutions)
3A No Adhesion Promoter (Aqualac)
4L No Adhesion Promoter (Hydro Solutions)***

***These are what I'm testing that will improve my process.

I expected parts 1A and 2L to pass and part 3A to fail on both the Shrouds and Forearm covers. Parts 4L were the unknown.

When painting the Hydro Solutions paint I used an Iwata LPH400LVX w/ a 1.5 tip to spray (same as we use w/ Aqualac). The paint acted identical to Aqualac, which is awesome. Exactly what I wanted. It layed down super smooth, covered a black part easily with one coat, and was not noticeably different from Aqualac in any way. Even smelled the same. LOL. Here's a side by side photo of the shrouds.

Now for the adhesion. The first cross hatch across the top of the parts was clear packing tape. I then used some very sticky masking tape (which felt stronger than the clear packing tape) on the bottom cross hatches of the shrouds and on the sides of the forearms. If we are ever unsure if a rack of parts has had Adhesion promoter? We stick some of that masking tape on the ridges and pull. If it looks like the right side of the 3A forearm? It was missed.

My testing showed there is no difference between them when applied to the polypropylene parts, and nearly identical results on the e-coated metal, with slight advantage to Aqualac (but both still failed, so I call this a tie also). The HydroSolutions passed all the test with flying colors using our normal prep process. Since all my testing came back equal, if they can get the price lower than Aqualac? I would absolutely make the switch.
Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,944Administrator El Jefe
    Nice report Joe...thank you for the time you spent sharing that!...
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Joe. The 3A and 4L shrouds do not look the same to me. So can we say it holds to polypropylene as well as Aqua Lac and not so well to E-coat? Not that I would use it direct to any metal but you pulled the whole enchilada off and Aqua-lac still has some grip. You have saved me a lot of time thanks again young man.
  • tlb71tlb71 Posts: 433Member ✭✭✭
    1 gallon of black aqualac $130US!! hydro solutions 1 gallon black $90 canadian which =about is about 68.14 US dollars
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics Thank you for the report what an excellent demo!
  • tlb71tlb71 Posts: 433Member ✭✭✭
    if anyone wants a price sheet i can email them to you
  • blazingcoatingsblazingcoatings Posts: 413Member ✭✭✭
    Great review. 
  • OverCoatsOverCoats Posts: 343Member ✭✭✭
    impressive results. Thanks Joe for taking the time to review and share with us.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,079Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited March 2016
    tlb71 said:

1 gallon of black aqualac $130US!! hydro solutions 1 gallon black $90 canadian which =about is about 68.14 US dollars

That all depends where you get it. I'm pricing 55 gallon drums and priced at a fraction of that. But in gallon quantities? Absolutely better to go w the $68 price.

Another (non sponsor) supplier has relabeled Aqualac black for $60.65/gallon.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,079Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    And yes @Tsunami the Aqualac did hang to the e-coat better. But still a fail. That's why I said slight advantage to Aqualac on e-coat.

Actually, on a side note, the polypropylene primer from Prime Coatings does very well on e-coat, and the Aqualac hangs even better. But the problem arises after the dip. When the activator softens the paint the adhesion goes to hell. The paint will roll right off the shroud, even by blowing w compressed air. If you leave them to dry overnight? The adhesion is fine again. Just not very conducive to our production schedule.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,944Administrator El Jefe
    Activator changes everything...I think I heard that somewhere...
  • adonis1adonis1 Posts: 186Member ✭✭✭
    tlb71 said:
    Send it too me brother. 
  • Mr_PsychotikMr_Psychotik Posts: 26Member
    adonis1 said:
    tlb71 said:
    Send it too me brother. Would like to see it as well if you can send it to me please.