Soft touch help

kylegabbertkylegabbert Posts: 264Member ✭✭✭
What is the best way to clean something that has been coated with BB soft touch? It seems to attract fingerprints very well, especially on black. Also, a few hours after spraying, it appears to be a little glossy. I don't know if it gets flatter over time, or if it is just supposed to have some gloss to it. I sprayed one wet coat as recommended, got no runs at all. So far the feel is great, just wondering if it will flatten out more

Comments

• RDSHydroRDSHydro Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,240Administrator El Jefe
    What works for us? Is too spray a wet coat of regular gloss clear and then spray a light coat of soft touch over that...keeps the soft touch from "balling up" and rolling off your parts...also keeps the thickness of the soft touch down to a minimum so it will lay flatter and not "stack up" and get glossy on you...just what works for us...
  • kylegabbertkylegabbert Posts: 264Member ✭✭✭
    Ok thank you, on the directions it said a single thick coat, I was just not sure if it was supposed to be sort of glossy, or flat. I'll try using some regular gloss clear first next time
    Just wait about 10 minutes after you spray the gloss coat and then the soft touch will bite into the glossy clear...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,338Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We did a wet coat of our matte clear, then a coat of the Big Brain and it turned out pretty good. Not quite as dead flat as their Dead Flat, or our normal matte clear, but not enough to worry about.
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    I just ordered some of the dead flat soft touch. Am I to understand now that I need to lay down gloss clear before the soft touch? My whole point for getting a separate matte and gloss clear was to avoid having to mix it myself. Ugh! I would have just got the dead flat clear if I'd have know that.
    Does the soft touch not hold up by itself?
    edited March 2016
    @MidOhioHydrographics. I was going for a flat, soft finish. Not a glossy one. So if I sprayed dead flat and then soft touch, it would appear flat? 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,338Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It was flat for us. This gun has the Big Brain soft touch on the stock and forearm, and our normal matte clear on the barrel and receiver. It was very sunny when I filmed this:
    Either matt or gloss will work...you are just trying to get some clear down to "bite" before you try to get the soft touch down...soft touch doesnt seem to bite as hard as the other clears...and it will roll off the part or ball up...
    Ok awesome, thanks for the help!
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭

Either matt or gloss will work...you are just trying to get some clear down to "bite" before you try to get the soft touch down...soft touch doesnt seem to bite as hard as the other clears...and it will roll off the part or ball up...

Great! I just wasted $187 to buy clear that I have to clear first. I knew I shoulda just went with the dead flat!

Oh it will work on it's own...for us it just worked better this way...not everyone will have the same results though...
  • preedpreed Posts: 389Member ✭✭✭✭
    i wont apply it by itself anymore... much better results over a freshly sprayed clear coat.

but i dont think anyone addressed the question...

What is the best way to clean something that has been coated with BB soft touch?

id like to know as well. i used acetone and a lot of scubbing... was hoping there was a better way.

I thought he was meaning to just get the dirt off it. LOL. Soap and water.

@kylegabbert are you meaning to strip it down and remove the soft touch?
    Your right! I did just mean cleaning the dirt off! @MidOhioHydrographics ;It seems to attract a bit of dust. I applied it by itself and it went on smooth, but I just wish It would have been more flat. It looks like low gloss. Next time I will use another clear under it!
  • Dinnetta_gobigbrainDinnetta_gobigbrain Posts: 196Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    SO SORRY! Let me read through the comments!!
    Ok. Read through the comments! Here we go! :)

So, you CAN absolutely spray the soft touch straight to your item. We have done many many many items this way and it's uber durable. In fact, Sean's interior is done in the soft touch - straight to dash pieces - and it's as durable as the day is long. Someone was in our facility training when we did Sean's interior and they took a key to it (not sure why actually! But we did laugh about it later) to try to scratch it and it didn't scratch. To this day, it's still durable and doesn't roll up.

The issue that some have with the soft touch is that they lay TOO THICK of a coat or do not have ADEQUATE air flow to flash it. This clear needs good air flow and it needs to flash off for about 20-30 minutes before turning off your booth. It can't cure if you lay it on too thick. Oftentimes, some have issues with spraying it on too thick because you want to spray it like a gloss (or like our dead flat) clear, but you can't do that.

It just simply won't cure. BUT - if you put a coat of a flat clear first, it seems to be a mental thing, like... "Ok. I have enough clear on here since I put a coat down already".

In fact, my stepson (who is also our painter) had issues with the soft touch coming off when direct to substrate, but he isn't exactly one that tries to problem solve a lot (at all). SO he just sprays everything the same. Simply can't do that with the soft touch!

Once it's sprayed properly, it is EXTREMELY durable. I am talking diamond tough.

So we do say that you can spray a coat of flat first - to ensure good adhesion based on past experience. But, you just have to think about this clear a little differently!

What is the best way to clean something that has been coated with BB soft touch? It seems to attract fingerprints very well, especially on black. Also, a few hours after spraying, it appears to be a little glossy. I don't know if it gets flatter over time, or if it is just supposed to have some gloss to it. I sprayed one wet coat as recommended, got no runs at all. So far the feel is great, just wondering if it will flatten out more

If it's glossy and/or still tacky - you've either not given it adequate air flow, mixed it incorrectly, or put it on too thick. Typically it's pretty flat. Only has about a 2% gloss to it!

It was flat for us. This gun has the Big Brain soft touch on the stock and forearm, and our normal matte clear on the barrel and receiver. It was very sunny when I filmed this:

Excellent work as always @MidOhioHydrographics!

So if I don't put it on very thick, it should be flat? I sprayed a wet coat as per the directions. But I guess I should spray it a little lighter next time, it didn't ball up or anything on me, just glossy! Next time I will spray it less thick! @Dinnetta_gobigbrain ;
    @Dinnetta_gobigbrain Thank you for that excellent answer!...

@Dinnetta_gobigbrain Thank you for that excellent answer!...

Thanks! For some reason I know a lot about this stuff. lol
    i must have put it on too thick then, as it is both glossy and a little sticky, not really soft. So would the best way to spray it be just to spray until it has a wet look, and then stop? I want to achieve a flat finish.
    @kylegabbert Yes, just get it wet, and walk away. That's the hardest thing for a lot of people to do, myself included. I always want to just hit it one more time, and then this area needs a touch more, and then I think I missed that spot, and then a quick once over the whole thing just to be sure...

@kylegabbert Yes, just get it wet, and walk away. That's the hardest thing for a lot of people to do, myself included. I always want to just hit it one more time, and then this area needs a touch more, and then I think I missed that spot, and then a quick once over the whole thing just to be sure...

When spraying, about how much should the fluid tip be open? Mines at 2 and a half turns, 45 psi or so. It lays down good and is smooth looking, but it always glosses up. Should I shake the bottle first? I spray just a single heavy coat, it doesn't run or anything. Could it still be too heavy though? Should I use an ir lamp and heat it? @K2Concepts @Dinnetta_gobigbrain
    @kylegabbert what size tip are you spraying with?
    The 2.5 turns just doesn't tell us much. Regardless of what you're spraying, you need to be able to dial in your gun. That's the most basic of basic when spraying. If the fluid is more viscous, you're going to need to bump up your pressure but your 45 still seems a bit high. It's just hard to say because it's not the same on every gun. We run our Satajet around 35 psi on our matte clear, which is also pretty thick. It sounds like you're just laying down too much material. Screw your needle in more, drop your pressure a bit, and try that. Need to practice on some speed shapes before you do an actual part. That should be done w/ ANY new coating or film your testing.
    Yes I should have tested it first, I had my gun dialed in, and it shot like my gloss clear which turns out great, but I put it on thick, next time I'll do less.
    Only way to fix would be to strip and redo the whole dip? @MidOhioHydrographics