Denibbing tool — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Denibbing tool

esoutfittersesoutfitters Posts: 281Member ✭✭✭
I already have one of these mini orbital air sanders and yes I know @K2Concepts SO CHEAP lol. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-sander-93629.html Could this be used as a denibbing tool?

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I know a lot of guys using it, it looks like a good alternative to the 3M one. Look for grit in the 1500 to 2500 range and keep your air pressure lower than wide open. Remember whatever scuffs you put in, you have to take out. Spending a minute knocking down a nib, saves 3 minutes buffing. Spending 5 seconds using too coarse of sandpaper causes 20 minutes of buffing...
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,475Administrator El Jefe
    So cheap...
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 261Member ✭✭✭
    I don't have a big dust nib problem so I do everything by hand. I get my hand nibbing roses and sanding pads form buffdaddy.com
    I am bringing in a test subject right now so I might be able to cut your costs on these original 3M tools in half...
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,203Member ✭✭✭✭

I am bringing in a test subject right now so I might be able to cut your costs on these original 3M tools in half...

Sounds interesting
  • SmtRedSmtRed Posts: 146Member ✭✭✭
    I'm listening
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a little insight I realized a while ago. If you are going to cut and buff the whole project, remove the nibs first. This has saved me countless hours on sanding scratches that I believe are the loose sharp nibs of clear. I use the 3m de-nibber 1000 grit and then start my cutting with 1500 and The scratches I was finding in the polishing sequence are gone.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,140Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I have the 3M denibbing tool that takes the stemmed pads that are about the size of a dime. Anyone have a source for replacement pads cheaper than normal?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If I'm sanding a part w progressively finer grits (1000, 1500, 2000) I find it hard to tell if I've sanded long enough at each step. Does that make sense? I've started buffing and can still sometimes see sanding scratches. Any way to tell?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    NotSoFast said:

I have the 3M denibbing tool that takes the stemmed pads that are about the size of a dime. Anyone have a source for replacement pads cheaper than normal?

@Tsunami used a sharpened piece of 1/2" copper pipe as a punch and made his own replacement paper. Put them on w spray adhesive. Seemed to work well!
    NotSoFast said:

@MidOhioHydrographics is a feel thing. When I sand I turn all noise off. The compressor kicks on and I stop sanding. The little sqeeks you hear is trash between your project and the sandpaper. This is what is scratching your part. Try de-nibbing and sand in a quiet shop and I think you problems will turn into White unicorns. LOL

Just make your own. Spray on adhesive and 1000 or 1500 sandpaper works better than the originals. I have a video on replacing the pads.

NotSoFast said:

@Tsunami used a sharpened piece of 1/2" copper pipe as a punch and made his own replacement paper. Put them on w spray adhesive. Seemed to work well!
    I'm not as fast as you young man.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @MidOhioHydrographics It is More likely that the "sand scratches" that you are seeing are actually polish spots from not cleaning out your sand pad, and the trapped clear is polishing the spots. If you remember when I did the demos you saw me use water and a brush the pad almost every time. I mentioned that it happens, and it is a pain in the @$$ to get out. Try cleaning your pad more often, clear would fill in sand scratches from 500, its gonna fill in from 1000.
    My scratches where always long scratches. In the direction of my 1200 or 1500. I believe they are trash that comes off the clear coat and makes a squeaky noise under the paper. I have never got a circular scratch from denibbing. I am using the small Denibbing tool also.
    I have seen what @WileECoyote is talking about also, but I was actually referring to what @Tsunami said. This is when I sanded an entire area w/ 1000, 1500, and 2000 by hand. Lots of nibs and sag in an area that I needed to remove.
    Ahh I lost track of that little bit of info... Sorry @MidOhioHydrographics
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 804Member ✭✭✭

Any update on this? Looking for a denibbing and polishing set up in the near future.
    edited May 2017

Any update on this? Looking for a denibbing and polishing set up in the near future.
    @Archer0545 We have had them on the K2shoponline for some time now...I think I might have 1 in stock but I will check today when I get to the shop...
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 804Member ✭✭✭

@Archer0545 We have had them on the K2shoponline for some time now...I think I might have 1 in stock but I will check today when I get to the shop...
    Ok, That's great! I'll check this weekend!

• t_ozt_oz Posts: 97Member ✭✭
    @WileECoyote , what one inch head were you using at Ohio Remote for the trizac disks? All the ones I fine are hook and loop style.
    We use A7's. There is an adapter for the head that converts the "hook and loop" to a pad. You have to get that first.
    All ours come with that adapter installed...