New DIY paint booth — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New DIY paint booth

esoutfittersesoutfitters Posts: 283Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Paint Booths
I finally got a explosion proof fan and some frp panels on the walls. 

Comments

• esoutfittersesoutfitters Posts: 283Member ✭✭✭
    And that is a pic of my old fan lol. How I didn't blow myself up I don't know 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,796Administrator El Jefe
    He he he...and you better get something better than just that water trap for your guns...that is not enough protection for your paints and clears...
    I have another filter closer to my compressor that's just what I have in the booth.
    Ahhh...ok better...
    @K2Concepts should I have another desiccant filter in the booth?
    Well lets put it this way...your air can NEVER be too dry...
  • OverCoatsOverCoats Posts: 340Member ✭✭✭
    maybe consider putting it outside of your booth. It's just something else in there to collect overspray, dust or whatever that might be the difference in a great paint/clear job or a redo. Just a thought
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,969Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Now get some Booth Coating from Brutal Hydro. After it gets dirty, just spray/roll that on and make it white and new again!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,877Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    The booth coat is wonderful stuff. But take my advice, put it on before you ever spray in that booth. When you peal it off at the end of the year, and you see that time you accidentally shot red in the corner 10 years ago... again... it is frustrating.
    @K2Concepts @WileECoyote I'm having a problem. I'm getting a lot of trash in my paint now that I put the new fan in. I think I'm getting to much airflow. The fan is 1650cfm and my room is 8x9x8 so I'm changing the air about 3 times a minute. I have a 20x25 filter for the intake. I didn't know if would help if I put in another intake filter because that would just give me more air. I do have 3 filters on the fan so didn't know if I blocked one or two of them off would that help me.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,969Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Is your incoming air filtered?
    @MidOhioHydrographics yeah it is filtered but I'm getting some air coming in around the door so I'm going to try and fix that problem.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the construction you have been doing you have a lot of dust in your shop. Spend some time with a big fan and an air hose and see if you can persuade the dust to leave. I always spray the room with a mist of water and spray the floor. Then I set up my pieces. This does help. Most of our parts are plastic so I dont worry about the water causing any problems.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,877Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @esoutfitters by my calculations you have 23 f/m moving through your booth 1650CFM/(9'Wx8'H)=Flow in F/M. Well under rating for the filters. Adding filters to the intake relieves the stress on the one filter, especially if it is getting clogged. If you are moving away from the fan, your surface area of filter should always increase to reduce static load. Likely that your construction has caused a bunch of dust to stir up. Turn your booth on an leave it run for an hour or so while you dust in the corners, and then let it run for an hour after. Get out booth coat and spray/roll it on the walls and seal all that dust in, and get a nice surface you can wipe down if you need too. Get some Tyvek paper and cover the floor, and keep all that dust from getting airborne as you walk around. Door to the booth should be located between your parts and the filter bank. When you open the door to leave after painting, you don't want unfiltered air going over your part. Caulk every gap you can find with a NON-SILICONE caulk, latex or acrylic is fine. And make sure there are no gaps around your filters where air can slip through.

Caulk every gap you can find with a NON-SILICONE caulk, latex or acrylic is fine.

Where was this info 3 years ago?
  • dippinchitdippinchit Posts: 120Member ✭✭
    You built a vacuum plus you need a duel filters.
    Once you get paint on the paper filters
    It dries and air flow is restricted
    Try real paint booth filters.

The more filters? The better...and install them low so the trash that does get through will not cross the parts as it goes out the other side of your booth...

But the reality is? You should be investing in a professionally built spray booth...I never realized how much better they are until I bought one...and then I bought the second one shortly after that...
    @K2Concepts the professional booth is coming soon