How does auto air do as a basecoat for dipping?

kylegabbertkylegabbert Posts: 264Member ✭✭✭
I have seen a few posts about auto air and wicked, but wanted to ask a few questions. What primer do yall use on a synthetic gun stock before painting? Also, what is the dip window with auto air? Thank you

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Epoxy primer and as far as I know? There is no window on any water based paints...
  • kylegabbertkylegabbert Posts: 264Member ✭✭✭
    Awesome, should I use an adhesion promoter before the primer? 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    With epoxy primer? I don't think you need to...that stuff sticks to dang near anything...
  • kylegabbertkylegabbert Posts: 264Member ✭✭✭
    Ok thank you, how long should I wait after applying the auto air to dip? And after 24 hours would I have to scuff it before dipping?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We used a 2k urethane primer on some sanded plastic parts and it failed. Now we just hit everything w Prime Coatings PolyPro primer first just in case. That stuff works amazing.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    No need to scuff before dipping. As long as the paint is dry you can dip. With water based it can be 1/2 hour or a week later, as long as you don't get some contaminant on it in the meantime.