Inter Coat not getting Hard — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inter Coat not getting Hard

TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Solvent Based Paints
Ok I need some help with this one guys. After spraying 2k primer last night, I got around to spraying my Course Silver base paint over my Triumph gas tank. All went well. took 3 coats to cover perfectly. Looked great so far. Then I added two coats of inter-coat about an hour after the base and let each coat dry for about 10 to 15 minutes in between coats. Waited about 30 minutes and it's all soft. It seams like the paint and inter-coat are soft. Not tacky in any way just too soft to tape off some flames. Any help would be appreciated. What did I do wrong? The inter-coat was a 1 to 1 with reducer mix. All the products are solvent based. I have it under the heat lamps and will check in the morning to see if anything has changed but I think something went wrong. 1st pic show all was sand blasted by me. 2nd pic is with inter-coat

Comments

• onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,668Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave, is that SG-100?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,869Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Tsunami sounds like you might have rushed it. I would have put the primer on and cooked it. then scuff and base. Then cooked it again, and added a coat of clear and one more time under the heat. When you start building up layers you have to get that solvent to drive off, once that skins over, the only place for it to go is down. If you mixed the right ratio on your clear, there is only one other option and that is just too fast and thick.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @onehitwonder It's not the same but like it . It's Hydra Paint,It just needs a reducer 1 to 1. My SG-100 gets dull after it flashes. This never did. @WileECoyote I Primed and used the heat over night. Sanded primer . And sprayed base in a 70 degree room with 38% humidity. Should I have waited overnight for the base to dry before laying on the Inner coat. My thought was that the base and inter coat would not seal the base since it is just a clear base.
  • Freedom HydrographicsFreedom Hydrographics Posts: 245Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @Tsunami  I always prime, wait 30 min, paint with 15-20 min in between coats, and follow with inner coat clear when I'm doing graphics, with no issues.....well twice : )

1- I ran out of mid reducer and mixed fast reducer with the mid, which took it a looooong  time to dry.

2- I was rushing and thought I put reducer in, but I put lacquer thinner or a universal activator in, I can't remember, and it stayed tacky for a looong  time. 

Not saying this is 100% the issue, but these are the only 2 times this has happened in 12 years of custom painting, and I have used this process hundreds of times. Hope you figure it out Sir, let us know what you figure out.
    oh, and I used Matrix inner coat.
    Thanks @Freedom Hydrographics I used DT 870 for all my reductions. It has hardened up more overnight but is still too soft to tape off.
    I guess my next question is how long might I have to wait. I have other things but hate taking up space in the booth. And the sun is not cooperating here in the Northwest.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,793Administrator El Jefe
    I have had this happen once or twice...first time it dried after a couple of days...second time? Well let's just say it's probably still drying...in a trash heap in the California desert somewhere...lol...

Yea that one pissed me off to no end...
    I am thinking of spraying one more coat of Inter coat with some base coat hardener. About 5%. Any thoughts?
    Din't your mother ever teach you that it's not going to heal if you don't stop picking at it?...
  • wicked_dipzwicked_dipz Posts: 564Member ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt trust it I would strip it down. Intercoat clear is like basecoat it flashes off quickly and should be dry to the touch in minutes.

I wouldnt trust it I would strip it down. Intercoat clear is like basecoat it flashes off quickly and should be dry to the touch in minutes.

Its been dry to the touch since last night. It just seams soft. I'm going to peel that scab one more time with 5% base hardener with inter coat. What can go wrong. LOL
    If it's dust free? Who cares? Pull it out of the booth and stick it in front of a heater somewhere...but hey...why not eff it up right? It's only time and money...

Oh the horrors we visit upon ourselves in the name of science...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,869Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @K2Concepts how many times have you caused more problems because you just couldn't stop "fixing" it. I would drop that thing in front of a quartz heater and let it sit for a few hours while I go get a steak and a few beers someplace...
    We are all good here guys. One light coat of inner clear with 5% hardener and she is ready for layout.
    Can you believe it? Something went right. Woot Woot But I'm not done yet. LOL
    Don't worry Dave... plenty of time left to screw things up...