Chinese tanks worth the trouble? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chinese tanks worth the trouble?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and hydro dipping. I'm ready to pick up my first tank but live in Canada and not ready to invest in the shipping and tariffs cost I'd get hit with ordering from the states. Has anyone bought a tank from China? How are the shipping times? I don't expect the pump or heater to last long but they seem to be priced ok regardless. Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.
P

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    My question would be who are you going to call or complain to when something doesn't work or it leaks, etc? They gonna send Wang Chi over to help?
  • RadicalSideHydroRadicalSideHydro Posts: 587Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I have one and have no complaints it was my first tank so I didn't want to spend 1k. Shipping was 780 to fl and took about 30 days.mine is 2.4x1.4x1 metering got it for 2300 total to my house .it has two 400 watt heaters .I'm all about American made but just couldn't see spending the money right now and hopefully they will be coming out with a wider film soon once that happens I will then invest in a us made 10 ft tank. They were easy to work with and they  basically built it the way I wanted. Hope this helps.
  • nightowl510nightowl510 Posts: 9Member
    NotSoFast said:

My question would be who are you going to call or complain to when something doesn't work or it leaks, etc? They gonna send Wang Chi over to help?

Yeah, I would go into this expecting that I'm on my own after the sale. I think it would be fairly easy to retrofit to better a better pump or heater when they inevitably crap their pants.
    A leak may be a different story but I know a few welders, although not well enough to commission a tank on the cheap

I have one and have no complaints it was my first tank so I didn't want to spend 1k. Shipping was 780 to fl and took about 30 days.mine is 2.4x1.4x1 metering got it for 2300 total to my house .it has two 400 watt heaters .I'm all about American made but just couldn't see spending the money right now and hopefully they will be coming out with a wider film soon once that happens I will then invest in a us made 10 ft tank. They were easy to work with and they  basically built it the way I wanted. Hope this helps.

Who did you buy from? I see one on eBay that "looks" ok, but no comments from previous buyers
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    My Liquid Print tank is made over there. They just import them and mark them up. It has done ok. We upgraded quite a few things to work the way we wanted. After using it for the last 3 years, I wish I would have known about PA Hydrographics' tanks when I bought mine. The cost was actually lower through PA than Liquid Print, and his tanks blow mine out of the water.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,273Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always risky when buying from over seas. But, if you look at most of the stuff we buy in life, it's made somewhere other that the good old USA. Thant's a shame but true. Like @MidOhioHydrographics said he has one & works fine. I had a buddy of mine build me a tank, 8'X4'X3' deep. Go for it & keep us informed on the end results. Best of luck to you.
  • OverCoatsOverCoats Posts: 339Member ✭✭✭
    make sure your thermostats read in Fahrenheit and not in Celsius lol...ask me how I know =)
    @nightowl510 I got mine from tsautop.com the sales person I felt with was nick.
  • newdawgnewdawg Posts: 175Member ✭✭✭
    @nightowl510 may I ask what website your looking to order from? If it is alibaba/aliexpress it may be harder than you think. I tried to order some stuff last week, put in my order, my bank authorized my CRedit card and they accepted the order. Next morning I woke up to find they had blocked my order until I passed their security check. The security check consisted of me sending them a copy of my passport, credit card and a bank statement, you know all the stuff were told Never to give out. Not to get credit with them but just so I can use my CC on their site. Called my bank to inquire about this practice and was told, and I quote " hell no" don't do it.

I use alibaba and didn't have a problem but I used pay pal.
    You should be able to go directly to the company I posted without using alibaba 
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    @newdawg @nightowl510 @RadicalSideHydro Just FYI you may already know though.... Be extremely careful with Alibaba they use a ton of clickbait and marketing. There are of course some reputable companies on Ali but when you're filling out your registration and info with them be extremely cautious and don't just click through everything. Otherwise you'll end up with a thousand emails almost daily from 500 people who claim to be the worlds best manufacturer of tanks either Hydrographic or Fish. Ask me how I know....
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah my first bulk film order on Alibaba was scary. "Sure! Just send us your $3000 via PayPal to this email address!" I was terrified. It was to Liquid Image, so luckily I had heard of people using them before. But damn...
    Ironic because I work overseas and one of the first things you learn there is when there's a theft from your location the crew members just shrug their shoulders and say "Ali Baba" and point to the bushes Lol
    Of course anytime we order something from overseas we have to be very careful. I am fortunate enough to have made a few successful orders prior to this happening which allowed me to determine the best companies for me and I am now dealing with them on a personal basis using my paypal acct. for the record I would NEVER send my personal info to any other country anywhere in the world.

As for me I live overseas and ordering from the USA is extremely expensive. I will return home in June for three weeks while there I will order some much needed film and bring it back in my luggage. I'm betting I can load a lot into a large suitcase.
    Yeah. I made the mistake of clicking through a page asking if it was ok to send marketing materials to my email. I litterally changed email accounts because of that. There was a nonstop barrage of daily emails and unsubscribe I think means " you're not sending me enough marketing material" in Chinese.
    @PTC_HydroGraphX and if you try to complain about it they have an entire website for it which takes about 20 minutes to get through. At the very end you must enter a CAPTCHA In order to send, but no matter how you do it the CAPTCHA is Always wrong, even if it's right.
    I guess I got luck. I got a few emails from suppliers I contacted but once told them I had made my purchase they seem to have not bothered me.
    @nightowl510 I got mine from tsautop.com the sales person I felt with was nick.
    Yeah, I've been in touch with Nick and he's given me a great quote on a tank. My question now is with payment. He says they only accept a T/T transfer (basically wiring the money directly into their account) and wants 100% up front . I know that 30% is being generous for up front but even that seems risky to say the least. What are your thoughts or experience?
    @nightowl510 I would tell him you can only put 30% percent down and pay the rest when they start manufacturing. And they do have pay pal account. Tell him your friend Mitch rice just got a tank from him that they shipped to Jacksonville. They will work with you it's so competitive there .
    Yeah, if you don't like it? Just tell them you'll find someone else. Plenty of other fish in the sea. For what it's worth, my tank was made by a company called Yung Hung... yes, don't laugh.... I'll try and remember to get their website off my wash station today.
    @MidOhioHydrographics Sorry but I'm laughing my tail off right now....
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,763Administrator El Jefe
    You think that's bad? My Rep was "Sharon Wang"...wait for it...

And no I would never pay 100% up front...I have routinely paid 50% up front but there is only a couple of companies I would do that with...
    Yea they tried to get me to pay 100% I have them 30 and actually  didn't pay the rest until I got the info that it was loaded on the ship.
    Yeah the website is www.yunh-hung.com, but I don't see tanks on there anymore. They used to have the tanks and dip arms on there. I'll check around a bit.
    edited January 2016
    Well I've got the guy to agree to use PayPal, and only drop a deposit until the build is done but the PayPal account they want the funds transferred to is a hotmail account. Just seems to risky to me. I think I'm going to have to swallow the added cost and go for American made. Eptex Coatings has a tank and will ship to Canada for between $300-$500. The tank is muck smaller for roughly the same price but I guess peace of mind and better quality will make up for the difference in dipping area
    Post edited by nightowl510 on
    Don't do eptex. Who are you dealing with in China 
    I can email the guy I used if you want me to
    What's the issue with Eptex?