CCI Matte Clear Coat

my4boysdadmy4boysdad Posts: 138Member ✭✭✭
Hey folks, I was wondering how long after dipping an item is the best time to clearcoat?  I dipped a few items today around 4, put them on the rack to cure and plan on hitting them in the morning with either a matte or flat clear. Any advise is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Comments

• Chris-PHGChris-PHG Posts: 119Member ✭✭✭
    Soon as it's dry from the rinse your good to clear. I usually wait a few hours or til the next day so a tiny drop of water hiding in the part doesn't appear out of nowhere as your clearing.
  • schidroschidro Posts: 372Member ✭✭✭
    I would think unless you are using OHW or the like keep in mind the recoat window from the beginning including the dip & dry time. 
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Just make sure the part is completely dry from rinse like Chris said. Sometimes I use cci and I've done quite a bit of next day clearing. The next day I would still take a air hose to the part just to make sure no water is hidden.
  • CuttingEdgeCuttingEdge Posts: 255Member ✭✭✭
    FYI: CCI clear has no UV protection. If your looking for a excellent Matte clear with UV check out Big Brian Graphics Matte clear. That stuff is AWESOME ! That's all I use now for Matte finishes.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Good info @CuttingEdge. And I agree. Big Brain's Dead Flat is top notch.
  • my4boysdadmy4boysdad Posts: 138Member ✭✭✭
    FYI: CCI clear has no UV protection. If your looking for a excellent Matte clear with UV check out Big Brian Graphics Matte clear. That stuff is AWESOME ! That's all I use now for Matte finishes.
    I have no doubt there is better clear out there.  CCI has been pretty good for me so far but I I feel that statement and what the can states contradict each other.  Now I'm new here so no hard feelings or calling anyone wrong but my matte clear specifically has "UV Resistant" written on the label.  Is there something I don't know in regards to CCI's UV property vs others?  Thanks for the help.

I have no doubt there is better clear out there.  CCI has been pretty good for me so far but I I feel that statement and what the can states contradict each other.  Now I'm new here so no hard feelings or calling anyone wrong but my matte clear specifically has "UV Resistant" written on the label.  Is there something I don't know in regards to CCI's UV property vs others?  Thanks for the help.

It has mild UV protection, but if you go anything that is going to be outside such as vent shades, 4 wheelers or things like that I would not use the CCI on them. They will fade. Ask me how I know.
    Ok thanks for the information.  That's good stuff to know.  
    edited January 2016
    I totally agree with @cuttingedge. CCI has very little u/v protection in it but please correct me if I'm wrong here. I've been told the flatter the clear the less u/v protection in it. Is that wrong?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Guys, if you're worried about UV protection on flat clear at all? Lay down your 2-3 wet coats of good quality gloss, allow to dry, wet sand, and hit it w one coat of your flat.
    I have done the quality gloss clear then matte over the top. However, why waste material you don't have to. You can get great matte clears with UV and eliminate a step and save material and time. I swear by Big Brains Dead Flat Clear. That stuff is incredible.

photo Matte 1_zpsejadowoo.jpg

photo Matte 2_zps2ftt8nyy.jpg
    edited January 2016
    @CuttingEdge This has got to be one of the most Impressive stocks I've seen. Is that two different patterns or a custom made pattern? and thanks for answering my question.
    edited January 2016
    @CuttingEdge I absolutely agree. Just meaning in the situation of having the CCI matte and a gloss clear on hand already, instead of ordering something else, waiting for it to arrive, and leaving that CCI go to waste.
    @CuttingEdge This has got to be one of the most Impressive stocks I've seen. Is that two different patterns or a custom made pattern? and thanks for answering my question.
    Thanks. The stock was dipped 3 times. Once in We The People, then in the American flag pattern, then the Rebel Skullz pattern. Then retaped and airbrushed shadows and highlights.

This was dipped 3 times as well.  Oh, that's because this newbie didn't get it right the first 2 times.  Luckily it's mine.  Nice work @cuttingedge....
    Looks clean tho @my4boysdad! Kryptek isn't the easiest pattern to start off with. Very nice.
    Thank you @MidOhioHydrographics.  I worked with Kryptek over and over and feel I got a pretty good grasp on it.  There's so much support on here, I've had a lot of help along the way and a lot of good ideas thrown my way. Thanks again.
  • HomeTownHydroHomeTownHydro Posts: 90Member
    awesome job. that has to be one of the nicest jobs ive ever seen. Good Job.