Dtp paint — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dtp paint

badcompanybadcompany Posts: 88Member ✭✭
I see Brent has a new direct to plastic solvent paint out with many different colors. Very interesting.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    It's good stuff. We used it at the Ohio Remote and I have some in my cabinet now also. Very forgiving on activator.
  • badcompanybadcompany Posts: 88Member ✭✭
    I'm gonna try it out. I hear it's gonna be a game changer in the industry. We'll see.
  • RadicalSideHydroRadicalSideHydro Posts: 588Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Is this DTP paint supplied by us paints? If so I would think it wold work fine as they supply the big oe companies the same paint there there process.
  • BackwoodsHydroLLCBackwoodsHydroLLC Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭
    Brent @kansashydro hammered a film with 8 passes of activator, and it still hit the dip with his dtp.  Rinsed immediately and none of the film came off.  Very impressive, and should rule out over activation.  
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,166Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @BackwoodsHydroLLC he did that test in Ohio, same film, gun, (and this was run on the automated spray bar) and Aqualac came in at 9 passes. Both of those paints are very forgiving. As I remember OHW was at 6 passes or so, still way more than anyone should be laying down. It comes down to technique, I am amazed when I see overactivation...
  • wicked_dipzwicked_dipz Posts: 564Member ✭✭✭
    Can it be used on pa6 or pa66 plastics on the website it doesnt say. Most oem under hood plastics are nylon
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,706Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only comment I can make about solvent paints that "don't soften during activation" is to ask yourself how clear coat is to bind properly with the base after dip and rinse. If the xylene and acetone in the activator won't affect the paint, then I can't imagine how the bonders in the clear can even begin to fuse properly. Just some chemistry to think about.....
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,166Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @onehitwonder Good point, I wasn't thinking of it from that direction. We try to run through the likely scenarios that your average dipper would run into before we release a product, even though it has gone through a battery of tests, just so we can better answer questions customers have. I don't think we did any adhesion tests with clear coat in Ohio.
  • BackwoodsHydroLLCBackwoodsHydroLLC Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭
    @onehitwonder wouldn't it be the same as automotive paints used on cars?   They add hardeners into the mix on the color coats. 
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,706Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some do, but most don't. They do however contain reactive reducers that actually cure the paint while they evaporate - hence the 8-12 hour clear coat window. OHW has a 2 week clear coat window that allows the clear to chemically bond to the paint, not just "sit" on it - look at our delamination video to see what can happen with "solvent paints that don't soften" after dipping

The way I understand things are any 1k product can become liquid again so if the paint does not use a hardner then wen solvent hits it it will chemically reactivate. I dont know anything about this paint that is out or coming out maybe its a 1k maybe its a 2k not sure. Now a 2k product has an added harder that actually closes the paint and cures it I can see how that type of paint would not allow a chemical bond but most 1k base coats while they say 12 to 24 hours can really can be cleared later. Im just wondering if this is a
    product that can be used on nylon parts as most oem parts around the engine bay are made of this.
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @onehitwonder Nice Video Jason..
    If you were to use a binder or intercoat months after dipping something before clearing it, would the clear binding to the intercoat be a sufficient bond? Obviously a ohw style intercoat or intercoat with AP would be needed.. I ask this as I have done this a few times in the past just to assure there would not be a problem on something that had a delayed clear time. In one instance about two months while waiting for a customer to provide a custom sticker they wanted under the clear. I should have cleared right away and then simply scuffed and cleared again but didn't think ahead that far. Haven't heard back from my customer, however now I think I will check on him..
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    edited January 2016
    I have tried Brent's DTP paint and found it works just fine...we actually ran a production run of about 1000 parts several months ago and that was after the customer ran the original test products through "deconstructive testing"...lol...They held up just fine and this is just another paint to add to your arsenal...I carry all 3 in my shop...OHW, Aqualac and Brent's DTP...

One thing I DID find out that we don't like is #1? The smell...whew that stuff is strong and you have to wear a mask just to pour it into the PPS cups...#2? It doesn't like going over the top of a clear coat...knuckles up on you...so while it may go over a binder? For us so far? It did not like going over another clear coat...

Good paint...a little pricey but good stuff...
    Post edited by K2Concepts on
    Sounds like its laquer based product if it wrinkles clear coat like that
    Might be...and he has it in a aerosol can also...
  • kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 840Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will do a cross hatch test for you guys now. Clear was applied 6 days after part was painted.This part was cleared 3 weeks ago. DTP direct to abs.
    Everything is stuck like super glue! Now let's do a test with a painted and dipped part with no clear!
    No clear. Part was dipped 4 weeks ago. I rest my case. If you look at the tape from the cross hatch test it did not even pull any pattern off of the part!

• airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,142Member ✭✭✭✭
    so is it good for straight to any plastic ? except hdpe needs to b flamed!
    We have tested this product to all plastics. With no problems whatsoever! Hdpe will have to be flame treated but that is the only plastic that will need to be flamed. As for the pa6 and pa66 plastics. I did some ford Shelby 500 plastics months ago and had zero problems. I'm not sure if this was pa6 or pa66? Here are some pictures of them. Maybe someone will know if they are pa6 or pa66.

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Very cool. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but is this DTM also?

PS- thanks for the test @kansashydro! i had forgot we have some of this left over in my cabinet from training. We will do some stuff with it as we are able and post up the results.
    Think so...
    I have some of the radiator covers like that Ill look but I believe those are poly propylene.
    Is it a laquer based product
    dtm?
    and do you have a special like 10 for the price of 9 ect. and is it in rattle cans
    It is DTM also. Check out the Frequently Asked Questions section link here... http://www.kansashydrographics.com/dtp-faq.html Thanks @MidOhioHydrographics I always like people testing out there. We do have some specials for bulk orders of this paint. Just give us a call with quantity and colors you need (1-888-873-0648) and I will look at the package deals we have setup.
    yep, DTM also. From Kansas Hydro's website:

"...chemically designed to allow direct application to the following substrates: polypropylene, polyethylene, ABS, lexan, steel, aluminum, brass, copper, bone, glass, fiberglass, and wood. DTP will adhere to HDPE, however, this is the only plastic that will require flame treatment before application."
    I just confirmed that DTP will work on PA66 plastic. It has not been tested on PA6 yet. I inquired about a heat rating also. DTP loves heat! The adhesion improves with heat. We do not have a degree rating at this time. It has been tested with guns and was able to stay on smoking hot gun barrels. Who knows how hot that is?
    pa6 and pa66 are pretty close to the same plastic so it should be good on both. The radiator cover you posted I looked at the ones I have in they are polypropylene