New DYI booth

DavidPDavidP Posts: 297Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
Working on a positive pressure booth this is what is done so far two filter grills for incoming air and one filter for exhaust need to build door then work out the bugs. installed five lights ans sealed everything to make as air tight as possible.The booth is 6x8 and i am moving 1200 cfm,

Comments

• sat-hydrographicssat-hydrographics Posts: 205Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Correct me, if i am wrong. These lamps dont look like explosion proof lamps. Solvents?
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good man. Nice job
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Correct me, if i am wrong. These lamps dont look like explosion proof lamps. Solvents?

I noticed the same thing. I'm putting these on my exhaust above my tank once it's hooked up:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=vapor+tight+lights

Lots of different options depending on budget.
  • RadicalSideHydroRadicalSideHydro Posts: 588Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Looks good. I'm building the same style. I'm mounting an air handler unit with the heat coils in it so I will have heat in the winter.
  • newdawgnewdawg Posts: 175Member ✭✭✭
    @DavidP By your description I'm not sure if you have two grills or one grill with two filters. if you are using two smaller filter on your intake vent be sure and tape the center seams to prevent blow by. Otherwise the dust will bypass your filters.
  • newdawgnewdawg Posts: 175Member ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah! Very nice job.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,291Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job. Am I correct in assuming some LED lights are probably the way to go in a booth? I haven't upgraded to a paint booth yet due to room. After the first of the year I plan on moving my operation to our other house which has a 20X20 work shop in the rear of the house
  • DavidPDavidP Posts: 297Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input didn't really think about the lamps needing to be explosion proof I will look into led lighting these lamps are standard lights from home depot. I will also make sure my filters are sealed.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Even LED lights are fed by 120v electricity. This doesn't negate the need for explosion proof housings.
    @NotSoFast point taken
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Technically it is not legal to have any electrical inside a spray area unless it is rigid pipe, with taped NPT fittings and filled after install with the dope. Easiest way around that, it to mount the lights outside of the booth, and shine them through tempered glass panes. I have done plenty of saturation studies and OSHA audits inside production spray booths (more paint in a day then 99% of you will spray in a year) and we got nowhere close to the explosion limit... But that doesn't mean you are totally safe. Exposed bulb ends can arc, and start the dry over spray on fire that has collected on them. Put some sort of a cover over the bulbs and then mask them off with carpet protector, or press and seal. Change it out when it gets dirty, and your booth looks bright again.

@DavidP keep in mind, you are even safer as you use water based Aqualac paint.
    @WileECoyote I primarily use water based paint purchased from Brutal hydrographic but I still need to clear and use solvent based paint occasionally. I will look into getting some type of covers made for the lights. I was thinking of some sheet metal boxes with open fronts then get some Plexiglas for the fronts [your thoughts].I can cover the Plexiglas with some press and seal and then remove when needed.
    @WileECoyote stopped by sheet metal shop and had them make me some covers for the lights in the paint booth. Will post some pics when I get them back.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @DavidP Great! Love to see it. Did you have the opening sized for a full width sheet of press and seal so you don't have to trim?
    @WileECoyote Here is the enclosure i had built for the lights, i will put sticky foam on the flange part and the screw to the wall. Second i will put press and seal over the opening they are 52 inches wide 6 inches tall and 31/2 inches deep. I think these will work well in this application and will allow me to keep the room as clean as possible. Your thoughts ?
    @DavidP I think those will work great, nice job! Simple and effective.
    @WileECoyote i have applied two coats of exterior satin paint to the dry wall i am going to put the booth coat over that i guess time will tell if it will work when i go to remove it. I am not painting every day so it may be awhile.
    @DavidP For the most part, if you are careful to not spray on the walls, the majority of your dirt will simply brush off the walls. A little effort goes a long way. Put a few clips on the wall to hold sheets of paper for you to pattern your gun before you spray so you don't have to spray the walls. If you date them and write the results of the day on that paper, you have a great record of your gun settings that you can always go back too. The spreadsheet I made for gun settings gives you all the info you could ever need to look back at. Eventually that will save you a ton of time in setups.
    @WileECoyote i was thinking the same thing i was stopping by the paint shop to pick up a reel of paper any way for the walls and my table i am a real stickler for things being clean. Thanks for all of your input.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We paint every day, about a gallon of Aqualac a day, and we only recoat every few months. We vacuum the booth weekly, brush the walls etc.
    @MidOhioHydrographics Good news, I thought it would go a long way I will be putting up paper also to check guns so that should help.
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Great info guys! Thanks @DavidP I got your pm.
  • blindjake50blindjake50 Posts: 28Member
    Looks good man!