Clear for firearms...

winxp_manwinxp_man Posts: 26Member ✭✭
just wondering what you guys are using for firearms? I have been using cerakote 161 matte and can't complain. But stuff is like $70-75 shipped for a pint! Then again since no complaints about to keep using it makes sense :D 

Comments

• Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    We use Duraclear sealant Link
    A lot of people use PCL Flat clear with good results..
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    How about Big Brains flat clear? Gets really good reviews from someone here and you can put lots on and it doesn't gloss out

http://k2forums.com/discussion/comment/64947/#Comment_64947

http://gobigbrain.com/product/brain-dead-flat-clear/
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Big Brain's clear is great. So is the Diamond Matte Clear from Prime Coatings. Brutal Hydro carries it. Both matte out the same, and are very easy to apply.
  • winxp_manwinxp_man Posts: 26Member ✭✭
    Anyone have experience with durability? What I mean by that is how it the listed clears would hold up on a pistol getting used in a holster.

AND..... Thanks for the info so far guys!
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    well all I can say is regular automotive clear ect. wont last like a duracoat or cerkote finish!!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I would guess repeated abrasions, like a holster, would eventually wear through almost any finish. But Cerakote would probably hold up pretty well.
  • Chris-PHGChris-PHG Posts: 119Member ✭✭✭
    Kydex holsters are going to take the finish off of any pistol with a "surface finish". 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    The clears we carry and the ones everyone else uses are essentially "automotive clears". That means, if it would scratch your car... It's going to be an issue. We are testing something Prime calls their "Industrial clear", but they still claim their hardest clear is the one they spray on OEM Harley Davidson motorcycles, which is still an automotive clear. Best bet is to put a nice thick coat or two on.
    Thanks for the thoughts and ideas gents!!
  • preedpreed Posts: 390Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've used duracoat clear, duraclear and cerakote clear. They hold up pretty well. I always tell my customers there is no forever coating. It all depends on the operator. My rifle which I'm not all that careful with has lasted 5 years with little to no damage, some slight wear at most. Then again I have a customer who uses his guns so much they get redone every once in awhile. For him It doesn't matter what coating is on them, it's not going to last.
    I have been using cerakote and like I tell the customers that if they let the coating sit beyond 5 days it's only gonna get harder. Some are anxious to use their stuff so they don't even wait the 5 days. In this instance the finish does not last much at all.
    I have a "Care Instructions" sheet that I provide when items are picked up. Just all the basic information. Same stuff as listed above. After all, just this week I just had a guy ask about getting his rims dipped "just black" Because his "buddy who is a painter said its better to get them hydro dipped. It will be more durable."

I have a "Care Instructions" sheet that I provide when items are picked up. Just all the basic information. Same stuff as listed above. After all, just this week I just had a guy ask about getting his rims dipped "just black" Because his "buddy who is a painter said its better to get them hydro dipped. It will be more durable."

lol! I have people ask that same thing all the time!!! and I just shake my head!!!
    and his buddy is freakn stupid!!!
    Funny you mention this MOH because recently a guy asked me to dip his grill in black hahaha!! Some people just make me shake my head and laugh!
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 343Member ✭✭✭
    I quit arguing with the I want it dipped black. I just say black ink cost more lol.
  • preedpreed Posts: 390Member ✭✭✭✭
    They could have it confused with plasti dip which isn't a dip at all.
    NotSoFast good one hahahahahaha! 

Keep it simple roses are red violets are blue :D
  • BigCountryHydroBigCountryHydro Posts: 146Member ✭✭✭
    It's unbelievable how many people have asked me for solid colors on firearms...
  • Gotcha_coveredGotcha_covered Posts: 471Member ✭✭✭
    I'm very new to this dipping. but feel pretty confident i could do the soild color dips @NotSoFast LOL
  • t_ozt_oz Posts: 101Member ✭✭
    We just started the hydro dipping at the shop. We have painted previous guns with Gun Kote. The clear has been working good for us so far. Still trying to find the sweet spot to dip to a base color.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,046Member ✭✭✭
    I use Kirker Matte Clear and also their EC300 gloss HS clear. Good stuff and reasonably priced.
  • DeepSouthDippinDeepSouthDippin Posts: 277Member ✭✭✭
    Does no one use OHW 2k clear?
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator

Does no one use OHW 2k clear?

I use their gloss but prefer the Dead Flat clear from @BigBrainGraphics .
  • DeepSouthDippinDeepSouthDippin Posts: 277Member ✭✭✭
    I have never tried it. 
  • dipper57dipper57 Posts: 381Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @DeepSouthDippin I use PCL26 its really durable.You have to be careful not to spray it on too heavy.the tech sheets call for two wet coats.If you do get a gloss look take a scotch bright pad and scuff it lightly or use some 004 steel wool.
    Big Brain Dead Flat (dead flat, smooth as silk when dry)

NanoChem Zero gloss (dead flat, has a dry, grippy feel we love for firearms. We use over a gallon of this a day when we are busy)

PCL 26 (very hard, will gloss up easily if applied heavy but dead flat if applied correctly. One medium-wet coat & leave it alone)

Any of those are fantastic choices.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our 2k clear will go completely flat with light coats, but we are working on a foolproof version