Touch Up Video — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Touch Up Video

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,338Administrator El Jefe
Here ya go...I might advise that you only lay down a little ink to cover the base coat. Some of you guys are trying to make the touch up look EXACTLY like the pattern and over activate the paint underneath...and end up with a big mess...just a little dab to take your eye off the area is all you need...

Comments

• CuttingEdgeCuttingEdge Posts: 253Member ✭✭✭
    Great video. Instead of activator, I like to use a little bit of urethane reducer. The reducer dries quicker and breaks the ink down faster on the film.
  • RDSHydroRDSHydro Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good video...good tips!
  • GPSGPS Posts: 8Member
    Informative vid:) I've tried it a few times with varying results, everything from mushy mess through to success. Defiantely no good for me with carbon or any symetrical type pattern.

Read somewhere on this forum that some guys are using an airbrush for touch up. If anyone could offer some info on doing this or even better a vidd, that would be very helpful again.

If using an airbrush, what do you touch up with? paint, activator and film? or something else.
  • HydroDynamicsAKHydroDynamicsAK Posts: 438Member ✭✭✭
    :-c
  • VeliVeli Posts: 160Member ✭✭✭
    Wow that is amazing, Great video.
  • SilverSilver Posts: 25Member
    I like
  • skinnydipskinnydip Posts: 38Member
    is that just a strait to ABS application? i am having trouble when i have a base laid down that even a tiny bit of activator is making the base coat reactivate and messing the whole thing up. now i try to airbrush as close a color as possible to cover it up.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    Good video
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,095Member, Moderator El Moderator
    skinnydip said:

is that just a strait to ABS application? i am having trouble when i have a base laid down that even a tiny bit of activator is making the base coat reactivate and messing the whole thing up. now i try to airbrush as close a color as possible to cover it up.

What paint are you using? Make sure you only dab the activator and film ink not the part and don't brush it on. Just dab it lightly.
  • skinnydipskinnydip Posts: 38Member
    NotSoFast said:

skinnydip said:

What paint are you using? Make sure you only dab the activator and film ink not the part and don't brush it on. Just dab it lightly.
    i was making reference to this video. he is brushing it on. i can do the dap thing, but i cannot brush it on without really making a frankenstein out of it.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,617Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @skinnydip If you're using the activator/film method, you have to remember a few things.

- Use as little activator as possible to make the ink thick, more the consistency of paint
    - Don't brush much, but dab it into the spots you're trying to fix.
    - Light coats. If you're not happy w/ how dark the ink is going on a certain area, let it dry, and add more. If you keep adding more and more, it will overactivate and cause issues by removing film off the part rather than adding to it.
    - Remember you're only trying to take the customer's eye off the base color. You will see it, they will not. Don't try to emulate the pattern, just color it and move along. If you try to draw limbs, etc. w/ this method, you're going to get a disaster.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,617Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited October 2016
    If you watch the video, yes he is brushing. But Only lightly, one coat, and only on the base color. If you brush like that over any dipped area, you're going to remove the dipped ink as well. If you mess up, or it starts getting to be a mess. Walk away, let it dry for a while, then come back once the activator has worn off.
  • dipdemondipdemon Posts: 86Member ✭✭
    As "GPS" mentioned this technique works great on any abstract type pattern. Very simple on camouflage type patterns because of the randomness of the graphic. Definitely not very easy on linear patterns such as carbon fiber etc. I'd be really interested in seeing some examples of touch ups with an airbrush, especially on a non-abstract pattern.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,338Administrator El Jefe
    @dipdemon I did a video on airbrush touch up...it's in the video section...
  • dipdemondipdemon Posts: 86Member ✭✭
    @K2Concepts - Found the video section with the videos on airbrushing camo and carbon fiber. Very informative. Thanks!
  • apexhydroapexhydro Posts: 3Member, Business Ninja
    Thanks Jim , I was re dipping everything and it takes a lot of time, thanks for all you do for us in the industry
    edited December 2016
    @apexhydro This will save you time and money! Airbrushing works very well also. Grab an Iwata Eclipse and some airbrush paints (Createx or Wicked Colors) and practice. Works amazing on abstract patterns like camo.

Paint and a brush works well also, but you need to "have an eye" for color matching.

On a side note, I see on your website that you're a Certified Master Decorator through TWN? Did they never cover touch up options with you in training? Sorry but that's insane! I've had good experiences w/ TWN's service and films, but I've trained at Liquid Print and K2 Concepts and both go over touch up in their training (K2 does a more in depth job).
  • bdipshydrobdipshydro Posts: 49Member
    Use this method all the time. Works great on most patterns. Not so much Carbon Fiber.